Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, Democrats are saying, "ok, it's good that we're having the FBI investigation, so this would be a good time for Republicans to withdraw Kavanaugh's name and offer up somebody more agreeable....."

wow
    I mean, I expect the Republicans would have an easier time getting someone else confirmed, particularly if they pick a woman like Amy Barrett or Joan Larsen. Probably would have been better if Trump had picked someone else, but we can't really turn back the clock.

Though I do wonder if it would be more beneficial politically for the Republicans if Kavanaugh loses the vote and doesn't get confirmed, and then they nominate someone else who gets through.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    MM - you like to try to reverse to arrow, but you are the one acting as if you know Ford is a liar, and you simply don't have a leg to stand on. There is not enough evidence to determine she is lying. In point of fact, it does appear the sex crimes prosecutor the GOP brought in, based on her experience and later lack of forcefulness, may well have determined she was telling the truth.
    What is this claim based on? If it's the fact the prosecutor didn't do a great job putting doubt on Ford's testimony, I'm going to guess that she was probably told to try to take a light touch. Even ignoring that, there's only so much you can do in cross-examining a witness when you're getting interrupted every 5 minutes by someone who takes the opportunity to laud said witness. I've seen a lot of people criticizing Harris for not doing a good job, but I'm not sure how good a job someone could have done under those circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Senator Tom Cotton gets it:

"If FBI investigation is limited to 'current credible allegations' against Kavanaugh, then it should be over now, because there are no credible allegations against him.

"And only a fool would think this will change Senate Democrats’ shameful treatment of Kavanaugh. Mark my words."

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomCotton...-nomination%2F
      00000000000000arc2abbf.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
        I mean, I expect the Republicans would have an easier time getting someone else confirmed, particularly if they pick a woman like Amy Barrett or Joan Larsen. Probably would have been better if Trump had picked someone else, but we can't really turn back the clock.

Though I do wonder if it would be more beneficial politically for the Republicans if Kavanaugh loses the vote and doesn't get confirmed, and then they nominate someone else who gets through.
        I think the Dems are convinced there will be this Blue Wave, after which they can nominate a liberal, and get her confirmed.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
          Amy Barrett was my first choice, but the Dems would hate her even more given what she went through on her last confirmation.

No...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            ... under this president, and in the current 'the other guys are demons' mindset on all sides, decency and fairness are mostly simply lost causes. Hatred and arrogance and nastiness are the rule of the day.

Jim
            Personally, I believe the "under this president" part is the result, not the cause, of the other things.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

We're going to have to disagree. Quite honestly, I don't think she's "all there". She's a grown woman with a PhD, yet she presents as a scared little girl. Even when she was being sworn in, her attorney had to motion to her how to do it. I think she's been coached and pushed, and I believe she became convinced she's "doing the right thing".
              I emphatically agree with this. She comes across as deeply troubled, with the overall demeanor of a scared 10-year-old who happens to have advanced knowledge in a few particular areas. I'm still just SMH at her easy use of "episodically" and "indellible in the hippocampus," juxtaposed with not knowing "exculpatory," and her use, in a letter, of "me" as a nominative.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                Personally, I believe the "under this president" part is the result, not the cause, of the other things.
                I think it's both, honestly.

Comment

It would not surprise me if they discovered that Kavanaugh was downplaying his drinking.
                  And his boofing.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Amy Barrett was my first choice, but the Dems would hate her even more given what she went through on her last confirmation.

My first choice also. I'd still love to see her nominated, just for the fact that, given DiFi's bigoted remarks, it would put the war against Christianity front and center.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                      My first choice also. I'd still love to see her nominated, just for the fact that, given DiFi's bigoted remarks, it would put the war against Christianity front and center.
                      Yes, the force is strong in that Barrett woman...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

There's always the possibility that she sincerely believed what she was saying, which is what I'm inclined to believe, and somehow, Kavanaugh's name got attached to her story.
                        It's also possible, most probable really, that Dr. Ford not only believes, but that she, just like she testified to, is 100% certain that it was Kavanaugh and his friend M. Judge. You guys are, as usual, in denial. She knows who Kavanaugh and Judge are. And if Kavanaugh is innocent then he would have been clamoring for an FBI investigation from the get go, not evading one. Part of his testimony was that "I called for a hearing as soon as this accusation came out." And he wanted the reps to take that as proof of his innocence. What it was actually evidence of was that he didn't want an FBI investigation and a quick hearing would get around that. I'll bet he had you all fooled with that one, eh? Mistaken identity indeed! Sheesh, the stuff you guys will conjure up in order to hold to your beliefs.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          It's also possible, most probable really, that Dr. Ford not only believes, but that she, just like she testified to, is 100% certain that it was Kavanaugh and his friend M. Judge. You guys are, as usual, in denial. She knows who Kavanaugh and Judge are. And if Kavanaugh is innocent then he would have been clamoring for an FBI investigation from the get go, not evading one. Part of his testimony was that "I called for a hearing as soon as this accusation came out." And he wanted the reps to take that as proof of his innocence. What it was actually evidence of was that he didn't want an FBI investigation and a quick hearing would get around that. I'll bet he had you all fooled with that one, eh? Mistaken identity indeed! Sheesh, the stuff you guys will conjure up in order to hold to your beliefs.
                          If you should ever decide to engage in civil discourse, please let me know.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            I only ask this because you direct this at more people than MM, but does thinking that the Democrats mishandled this, even egregiously, equate to "partisan hatred?"

And, by that standard, when somebody criticizes Trump and the Republicans for not reining him in, is that "partisan hatred?"
                            No - that's not the sort of thing I'm talking about. I'm talking about his unwillingness to afford both sides of the he said/she said humanity. That unwillingness is bound up in his partisan hatred of the Democrats. Democrats are not people, they are 'the enemy'. And since Ford's beliefs about what happened 35 years ago are a threat to his class, the Republicans, she's not a person anymore either. Just one of 'them'.

Look at the quotes I give. I'm not talking about just feeling that the members of congress that are Democrats mishandled this. I'm not talking about complaining that the Republican members of congress follow Trump around like sheep. MM is generalizing his statements to far more than just the leaders in congress. He is creating classes of people. And the classes he doesn't like are just hardly even human anymore.

And it's not just him. It's a good portion of the people in our country.

But it is not what Christ calls is to.

Jim
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              No - that's not the sort of thing I'm talking about. I'm talking about his unwillingness to afford both sides of the he said/she said humanity. That unwillingness is bound up in his partisan hatred of the Democrats. Democrats are not people, they are 'the enemy'. And since Ford's beliefs about what happened 35 years ago are a threat to his class, the Republicans, she's not a person anymore either. Just one of 'them'.

Look at the quotes I give. I'm not talking about just feeling that the members of congress that are Democrats mishandled this. I'm not talking about complaining that the Republican members of congress follow Trump around like sheep. MM is generalizing his statements to far more than just the leaders in congress. He is creating classes of people. And the classes he doesn't like are just hardly even human anymore.

And it's not just him. It's a good portion of the people in our country.

But it is not what Christ calls is to.

Jim
                              Ok, but you yourself seem to be generalizing about some other people too (“and others,” etc.). I guess I’m not sure who all you’re including in these apparent blanket condemnations, since, as far as I can tell, most of the Christians posting in here seem to be trying to be fair-minded.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                No, I'm saying that BASED ON THE EVIDENCE, Ford is either lying, or she's irrational to continue believing her claims after her own friends refuted them.

Partisan, yes, but not in the extreme sense of the word; hatred, absolutely not, not in ANY sense of the word.

Got anything else for us, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hypocrite? Maybe you should ask me again if I'm really a Christian. That's a sure-fire winner.
                                Again? Now you are making things up. Have I questioned if you are really a Christian MM? I have questioned whether your actions/words are consistent with what Christ taught. When have asked you if you 'really' are a Christian?

But I do believe that in the old TWEB you called me an Apostate as we discussed ideas about how to reconcile evolution with the scripture - did you not? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Jim
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment