Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    At this point I buy that pretty much all Republican politicans and operatives are criminals and rapists and serial adulterers because they've proved it over and over and over and over and over again. So this does not surprise me in the least. Par for the course. Specifically, par for the Donald Trump course.
    Wasn't it the democrats that were recently busted for sexual misconduct? Or did you forget the whole #metoo scandal after the Weinstein debacle?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      "A source who said they were briefed on the contents of the letter said it described an incident involving Kavanaugh and a woman that took place when both were 17 years old and at a party. According to the source, Kavanaugh and a male friend had locked her in a room against her will, making her feel threatened, but she was able to get out of the room."
      https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/...dential-letter
      So nothing sexual at all.

This sounds like a joke or a prank. Why would she even bring it up to Feinstein in a letter. 50 years later?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        So nothing sexual at all.

This sounds like a joke or a prank. Why would she even bring it up to Feinstein in a letter. 50 years later?
        I'm guessing the "Make her feel uncomfortable" may have been taunts or even trying to kiss her or something, or seeing if she'd have sex - who knows - but if this is the best they've got....
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Why would she even bring it up to Feinstein in a letter. 50 years later?
          Like I said, it's obviously a set-up.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So you can be reasonable. There's hope for you yet.
            But I'm never unreasonable ...
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Now they are claiming attempted rape...

Details on a claim of sexual assault allegedly perpetrated by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh are now coming to light, thanks to out journalist Ronan Farrow and his colleague Jane Mayer of The New Yorker.

Reports on Thursday indicated Senator Dianne Feinstein forwarded a sexual misconduct claim leveled against Kavanaugh to the FBI. Farrow and Mayer now offer details on what exactly Kavanaugh is accused of.

In a letter first sent to California congresswoman Anna Eshoo, and then forwarded to Feinstein, a woman says that Kavanaugh and a male classmate of his at a Jesuit high school in Maryland attempted to sexually assault her at a party in the early 1980s.

https://www.advocate.com/crime/2018/...d-rape-attempt
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                They can't even bother to spell check their article.

"thanks to out journalist"

eta never mind. I thought they misspelled "our" -- They meant he is "out" as gay.

This seems to be a pretty low rent rag judging by the other articles. No real source to the information other than some implied connection to the letter that Feinstein had. How would this low budget reporter get that?
                Last edited by Sparko; 09-14-2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

OK looks like that rag just stole the news from the New Yorker and tried to make it sound like their reporter had something to do with it when all he did was copy it from the New Yorker.

The complaint came from a woman who accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct when they were both in high school, more than thirty years ago.

The woman, who has asked not to be identified, first approached Democratic lawmakers in July, shortly after Trump nominated Kavanaugh. The allegation dates back to the early nineteen-eighties, when Kavanaugh was a high-school student at Georgetown Preparatory School, in Bethesda, Maryland, and the woman attended a nearby high school. In the letter, the woman alleged that, during an encounter at a party, Kavanaugh held her down, and that he attempted to force himself on her. She claimed in the letter that Kavanaugh and a classmate of his, both of whom had been drinking, turned up music that was playing in the room to conceal the sound of her protests, and that Kavanaugh covered her mouth with his hand. She was able to free herself. Although the alleged incident took place decades ago and the three individuals involved were minors, the woman said that the memory had been a source of ongoing distress for her, and that she had sought psychological treatment as a result.

In a statement, Kavanaugh said, “I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation. I did not do this back in high school or at any time.”

Kavanaugh’s classmate said of the woman’s allegation, “I have no recollection of that.”

The woman declined a request for an interview.

In recent months, the woman had told friends that Kavanaugh’s nomination had revived the pain of the memory, and that she was grappling with whether to go public with her story. She contacted her congresswoman, Anna Eshoo, a Democrat, sending her a letter describing her allegation. (When reached for comment, a spokesperson for Eshoo’s office cited a confidentiality policy regarding constituent services and declined to comment further on the matter.)

The letter was also sent to the office of Senator Dianne Feinstein. As the ranking minority member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Feinstein was preparing to lead Democratic questioning of Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearing weeks later. The woman contacted Feinstein’s office directly, according to multiple sources.

After the interactions with Eshoo’s and Feinstein’s offices, the woman decided not to speak about the matter publicly. She had repeatedly reported the allegation to members of Congress and, watching Kavanaugh move toward what looked like an increasingly assured confirmation, she decided to end her effort to come forward, a source close to the woman said. Feinstein’s office did not respond to requests for comment.

Feinstein’s decision to handle the matter in her own office, without notifying other members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, stirred concern among her Democratic colleagues. For several days, Feinstein declined requests from other Democrats on the Judiciary Committee to share the woman’s letter and other relevant communications. A source familiar with the committee’s activities said that Feinstein’s staff initially conveyed to other Democratic members’ offices that the incident was too distant in the past to merit public discussion, and that Feinstein had “taken care of it.” On Wednesday, after media inquiries to the Democratic members multiplied, and concern among congressional colleagues increased, Feinstein agreed to brief the other Democrats on the committee, with no staff present.
                  https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...ts-in-congress

Comment

So Feinstein's been sitting on this since July?
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      So Feinstein's been sitting on this since July?
                      Probably had it in her pocket as a "last resort" kinda thing.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Probably had it in her pocket as a "last resort" kinda thing.
                        That's the only conclusion I can come to, but if it's a full-fledged attempted rape allegation, that makes the delay look even more suspicious.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          I'm not buying this. It's like the Trump and Moore accusations all over again, sensational but sketchy and so far in the past that they're impossible to definitively prove or disprove.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'm not buying this. It's like the Trump and Moore accusations all over again, sensational but sketchy and so far in the past that they're impossible to definitively prove or disprove.
                            Remember, it's the SERIOUSNESS of the charge, not the legitimacy, and evidence be damned!!!! The seriouser the charge, the guiltier the defendant!
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Okay, so if it has an actual allegation, that's at least something. Before people were in a tizzy about a letter they didn't have information on. That said, the story of what the letter actually says seems to keep shifting slightly and information on its content seems to largely come from anonymous sources, so it's hard to be sure about exactly what it says without seeing it.

So ultimately, the only bit of evidence here is an unreleased letter written by an anonymous person that apparently accuses Kavanaugh of sexual assault in high school. I have difficulty finding this credible based on that.

Additionally, I have some questions. If Feinstein had this for months, why did she sit on it for so long? The cynic can claim "oh, she's just using it to smear Kavanaugh" but she didn't even share it with the other Democrats who would have had an interest in finding things wrong about Kavanaugh. It's all very confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                                Okay, so if it has an actual allegation, that's at least something. Before people were in a tizzy about a letter they didn't have information on. That said, the story of what the letter actually says seems to keep shifting slightly and information on its content seems to largely come from anonymous sources, so it's hard to be sure about exactly what it says without seeing it.

So ultimately, the only bit of evidence here is an unreleased letter written by an anonymous person that apparently accuses Kavanaugh of sexual assault in high school. I have difficulty finding this credible based on that.

Additionally, I have some questions. If Feinstein had this for months, why did she sit on it for so long? The cynic can claim "oh, she's just using it to smear Kavanaugh" but she didn't even share it with the other Democrats who would have had an interest in finding things wrong about Kavanaugh. It's all very confusing.
                                Yeah!

Comment