Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Which is to say that I want to see them give it the same coverage they would have if it was a Republican who was accused. Suppose Reade had lodged her complaint against Ted Cruz, or Devin Nunes, or President Trump. This would have been an above-the-fold, top-of-the-newscast story for weeks.

Or perhaps I would prefer if the media would treat every story like this with the same sober restraint they're showing here regardless of who is accused.

Frankly, I don't care which way they go with it, I would just love to see some consistency.
    Really, you don't care which way they go with it as long as they treat "both sides" the same? Is that *really* more important to you than victims being heard? I mean, I don't know about the women in your life (snicker) but they probably wouldn't agree with you.

Comment

• I think it's fair to say the story is still flying under the radar. I just pulled up the CNN mobile site on my phone and scrolled down. The only mention I saw of Biden was one article speculating about his running mate.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Ah, it's the good old "intent" defense. Sorry, but that doesn't fly. If a man gropes a woman and forcibly kisses her, then the law quite reasonably presumes he is doing it for his own sexual gratification. He doesn't have the luxury of saying, "But that wasn't my intent!"
        What? So they wouldn’t even ask the man why he did it?

Intent isn’t a defense, it’s a requirement the prosecution must prove.

Comment

• Here is a thread by the reporter Kurt Eichenwald who had been raped 30 years ago describing what it is like to undergo a sexual assault and why Tara Reade's story doesn't hold up under scrutiny for him. He had previously written about this assault in his book (I have not read it) so we can trust his account since it long predates the publicity on Tara's claims.

What he says is consistent with other responses from survivors I have also read.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            You just cant admit you are wrong. Can you?
            Ironic, still not liking the taste of your own medicine? You assume the worst about CP, MM, me, etc all the time, so I just assume the worst about you. Sorry Jim, but it is based on your anger because there is no evidence that Ford or Kavanaugh ever met, let alone he is a rapist. Her friends don’t remember the event, she can’t remember how many men were present in the room, she can’t remember where it happened, when it happened, and her memory was brought back by a method known to create false memories. So no, they are not the same at all. I don’t believe Biden is a rapist either, but the evidence of his inappropriate touching exist in dozens upon dozens of photos, witnesses, and video evidence. I really doubt you’d let your granddaughters have some random old man to be sniffing their hair and rubbing up on them, so why is it okay for Biden?
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              Ironic, still not liking the taste of your own medicine? You assume the worst about CP, MM, me, etc all the time, so I just assume the worst about you. Sorry Jim, but it is based on your anger because there is no evidence that Ford or Kavanaugh ever met, let alone he is a rapist. Her friends don’t remember the event, she can’t remember how many men were present in the room, she can’t remember where it happened, when it happened, and her memory was brought back by a method known to create false memories. So no, they are not the same at all. I don’t believe Biden is a rapist either, but the evidence of his inappropriate touching exist in dozens upon dozens of photos, witnesses, and video evidence. I really doubt you’d let your granddaughters have some random old man to be sniffing their hair and rubbing up on them, so why is it okay for Biden?
              I dont assume the worst about you or others pix. I react to what you and they say to me on this forum. That is it. But when what you or they say IS the worst, what can one do?

Pix, we're done on this one. That you will double down on claims to know my thoughts and internal motivations make it clear you are not a person capable of being reasoned with. Till some other time.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-04-2020, 12:51 AM.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I think it's fair to say the story is still flying under the radar. I just pulled up the CNN mobile site on my phone and scrolled down. The only mention I saw of Biden was one article speculating about his running mate.
                I don't know if that's so much the story flying under the radar as it is Biden himself flying under the radar. He's been kind of a nonentity in general in the news after Sanders conceded outside of some speculation about who would be his vice president.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I think it's fair to say the story is still flying under the radar. I just pulled up the CNN mobile site on my phone and scrolled down. The only mention I saw of Biden was one article speculating about his running mate.
                  Yeah, there's a gigantic difference between
                  A) mentioning something in the news because you really have no other choice, since it's "out there"
                  2) going full on "investigative reporter" in attack mode digging up every possible piece of evidence and/or rumor you can find.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    I dont assume the worst about you or others pix. I react to what you and they say to me on this forum. That is it. But when what you or they say IS the worst, what can one do?

Pix, we're done on this one. That you will double down on claims to know my thoughts and internal motivations make it clear you are not a person capable of being reasoned with. Till some other time.
                    Yeah you do, but we both know you’ll blame everyone else and never turn your eye on yourself. Lots of people around here seem to have a problem with you, why is that?
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                      Really, you don't care which way they go with it as long as they treat "both sides" the same? Is that *really* more important to you than victims being heard?
                      Are straw men the best you have?

Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                      I mean, I don't know about the women in your life (snicker) but they probably wouldn't agree with you.
                      If you must know, I was married for 26-years to a wonderful woman I adored and who adored me. She passed away last year.

Now don't you feel like an ass.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Yeah, there's a gigantic difference between
                        A) mentioning something in the news because you really have no other choice, since it's "out there"
                        2) going full on "investigative reporter" in attack mode digging up every possible piece of evidence and/or rumor you can find.
                        During the end of NBC's Meet the Press yesterday, Chuck Todd and his panel acknowledged that there is no "huge appetite" to investigate this while over on ABC's This Week, substitute host Martha Raddatz, the network's Chief Global Affairs Correspondent huffed "Well, I know we here at ABC have not ignored and many in the media have not ignored it. We haven't ignored it." only to get eviscerated by the RNC chair, Ronna McDaniel, who noted that Thursday was the very first time ABC mentioned in the five weeks after the story broke nationally.

McDaniel then pointed out the glaring double standard in how the MSM has treated this in comparison to their coverage of the allegation against Kavanaugh:

I'm going to take issue with the media ignoring this. It has been appalling the hypocrisy, as to how Brett Kavanagh was treated versus Joe Biden. Brett Kavanaugh, every accuser was put on TV, it was wall-to-wall coverage. They went into his high school yearbook. They said he needed an FBI investigation. Michael Avenatti was on TV accusing him of gang rape, from an accuser who never ven met Brett Kavanaugh.

She also noted that how during 19 interviews by the MSM Biden was asked exactly zero questions about the allegations.

So yeah, it looks like the MSM is going to pretend that they've sufficiently covered the story at it is time to move on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                          What? So they wouldn’t even ask the man why he did it?

Intent isn’t a defense, it’s a requirement the prosecution must prove.
                          If a man deliberately touches a woman without her permission in a way that makes her feel uncomfortable, then that is sexual assault by definition. The law presumes intent. It doesn't have to be proven.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

If a man deliberately touches a woman without her permission in a way that makes her feel uncomfortable, then that is sexual assault by definition. The law presumes intent. It doesn't have to be proven.
                            If that is the definition, then one best never, ever touch a women in any way without permission in writing. What you are saying is absurd. If a women is uncomfortable with an otherwise non sexual touch and let's the man know and he continues, that is when it crosses the line. There are also accidental touches in close quarters or athletic activities where a man might bump up against a breast or even the private area, and as long as either it is clearly accidental and/or the man or women immediately moves away it would also be absurd to call it harassment.

And there is no way to make a law that is sane that can protect in all cases for that reason. Contact can be harmless in one situation that is sexualized in another. The issue is forced contact, and/or repetition, especially if informed it is unwanted.
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-04-2020, 10:00 AM.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Are straw men the best you have?
                              That is literally exactly what you just said.

Frankly, I don't care which way they go with it,
                              Th

So, you literally don't care whether every complaint is treated with wall-to-wall coverage or "sober restraint" (your term for burying the story).

I would just love to see some consistency.

You only care that "both sides" are treated "the same."

How did I misstate your position?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                During the end of NBC's Meet the Press yesterday, Chuck Todd and his panel acknowledged that there is no "huge appetite" to investigate this while over on ABC's This Week, substitute host Martha Raddatz, the network's Chief Global Affairs Correspondent huffed "Well, I know we here at ABC have not ignored and many in the media have not ignored it. We haven't ignored it." only to get eviscerated by the RNC chair, Ronna McDaniel, who noted that Thursday was the very first time ABC mentioned in the five weeks after the story broke nationally.

McDaniel then pointed out the glaring double standard in how the MSM has treated this in comparison to their coverage of the allegation against Kavanaugh:

I'm going to take issue with the media ignoring this. It has been appalling the hypocrisy, as to how Brett Kavanagh was treated versus Joe Biden. Brett Kavanaugh, every accuser was put on TV, it was wall-to-wall coverage. They went into his high school yearbook. They said he needed an FBI investigation. Michael Avenatti was on TV accusing him of gang rape, from an accuser who never ven met Brett Kavanaugh.

She also noted that how during 19 interviews by the MSM Biden was asked exactly zero questions about the allegations.

So yeah, it looks like the MSM is going to pretend that they've sufficiently covered the story at it is time to move on.
                                Yeah, "OK, so we have to acknowledge the elephant in the room, so.... In OTHER news...."
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment