Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm not going to rehash this whole thing - the Dems has ZERO interest in "interviewing" Kavanaugh. It was about preventing him from being confirmed, not "interviewing" him for a job.
    CP- do you seriously think I believe the Dems went in there with the intention of giving him a fair shake? They were as dedicated to making sure he DIDN'T get the job as the Reps were to ensuing that he DID get the job. That the "interviewers" are partisan doesn't change the nature of a confirmation hearing. A confirmation hearing is exactly that - a hearing to establish whether or not a candidate is going to get a job. Ergo - it is not a "trial" - it is a "job interview."

If a black man walks into a business for a job interview, and the interviewer is racist with an agenda against them - it doesn't magically turn the job interview into a trial. It just makes it a partisan, pre-ordained job interview. So this was a partisan, pre-ordained job interview. The Reps already knew they were going to say yes. The Dems already knew they were going to say no. They all just looked for every reason to justify their pre-conditions.

Welcome to America!

(and then you wonder why I'm entertaining the idea of living elsewhere....?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

The Republicans were putting forth his qualifications for the actual job - like a real job interview. The Democrats, on the other hand, were trying to smear him with unsubstantiated allegations that happened when he was in high school, with zero corroboration.
      Oh my - are you really THAT blind to the partisan reality of the proceedings?

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And the Dems COULD have handled this properly by bringing this matter to the committee for consideration privately, giving Kavanaugh an opportunity to withdraw his name or stick to his guns. They were cowardly and deceitful in the way they handled it.
      Yeah - and the Reps COULD have brought the FBI letter about the Clinton email investigation to committee - instead of blasting it publicly.

Really, CP? You cannot be THIS naive? Each party wants what it wants, and appears to be willing to do anything it needs to to get it. The Rep argument in 2016 against Garland's nomination was "the people's voice must be heard!" Now, in 2018, weeks before a mid-term election, the argument is 100% absent. And when asked about whether or not any candidate nominated in 2020 would be held up until the 2020 election, McConnell refused to confirm that they would use the same criteria.

Parties do what parties do: bend, twist, cheat, lie, subvert, rationalize, and even break the law to get what they want - a win for their own party. It's how the two parties work - and have for some time now. And we keep electing the lying scum to office. We now have the chief liar of them all - filling positions with dishonest people left and right - and his base LOVES him and defends him at every turn.

It's a mess. Personally, I'm sick of it. If my wife were not so adamant about being near her parents in their last years, I'd already be gone.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        you asked me,
        Who on earth said "girls don't lie about sexual assault?"
        Why would Christine Blasey Ford lie about her sexual assault by Kavanaugh? She had nothing to gain and a great deal to lose. Her family still cannot return to their own home. She testified credibly. Whereas, numerous Kavanaugh contemporaries have publicly stated that he was a "sloppy, aggressive drunk" at the time and probably subject to blackouts when he couldn't remember what he did whilst drunk.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Why would Christine Blasey Ford lie about her sexual assault by Kavanaugh? She had nothing to gain and a great deal to lose. Her family still cannot return to their own home. She testified credibly. Whereas, numerous Kavanaugh contemporaries have publicly stated that he was a "sloppy, aggressive drunk" at the time and probably subject to blackouts when he couldn't remember what he did whilst drunk.
          Look at all the things Ford couldn't remember while claiming she had "one beer".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Look at all the things Ford couldn't remember while claiming she had "one beer".
            Yes, that was the sneering approach Trump presented at a recent rally, reducing his crowd of faithful followers to gales of laughter in utterly disgraceful mockery of a traumatised victim of sexual aggression.

Traumatic amnesia is a dissociative survival mechanism and a common symptom of sexual assault victims. This is very probably the case with Dr Ford. Victims are left with selective tunnel vision...clearly remembering key events whilst forgetting the surrounding events.

Similarly, alcohol-induced amnesia, commonly known as ‘a blackout’, is a common feature of heavy drinking. And Kavanaugh has been described by many of those who knew him well, i.e. drinking companions, roommates etc, as a "belligerent, sloppy, aggressive drunk".

Hence, Kavanaugh may truthfully have no memory of what he did, OTOH Ford presented credible testimony and has 100% certainty that Kavanaugh was the perpetrator. She does not deserve the treatment she is getting by Trump supporters.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Were Ford's friends blackout drunk, too? Is that why no contemporary witnesses can corroborate her sketchy and contradictory story? Or maybe they, too, are suffering from "traumatic amnesia". What other explanation could there be?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yes, that was the sneering approach Trump....
                That adds NOTHING to Ford's allegations with ZERO corroboration.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That adds NOTHING to Ford's allegations with ZERO corroboration.
                  And the possibility she may have a faulty memory and still have been sexually assaulted requires that any normal decent person not snear at her. There is simply no justification anywhere in any set of manners morals or any other regular regulator of common decency that justifies the kind of bashing she's getting here and from Donald Trump and it's that simple likewise kavanaugh
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

... traumatised victim of sexual aggression.
                    Who? you have evidence she was sexually assaulted?
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      Who? you have evidence she was sexually assaulted?
                      She says she was. Without proof she was lying, that is enough to afford her the benefit of the doubt. It is not enough to convict Kavanaugh or to justify treating him poorly (as other indecent people have done), but the fact she has made the claim and from all possible means of evaluation indicates she believes this to be true, we must afford her the respect due a person that might have been assaulted.

It's all just a matter of (un)common decency. Something that apparently has gone way out of favor on this board.

Jim
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

There were also witnesses to the other womans claim of sexual assault against Kavanaugh which the White House blocked the FBI from investigating. So this wasn't only about Dr. Fords allegations, it was about the supporting evidence of other similar incidents which republicans made sure were not heard in testimony and it was about Kavanaughs temperment and partisan nature as well. Democrats had every right to oppose his confirmation because of the evidence, not simply because it was their intention to oppose him from the get go due to what the hypocitical republicans did to M. Garland.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          There were also witnesses to the other womans claim of sexual assault against Kavanaugh ...
                          Which one of the other 2 claims are you talking about?
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            She says she was.
                            Then she's an ALLEGED traumatized victim. Tassy spoke like it was a fact.

Without proof she was lying, that is enough to afford her the benefit of the doubt.
                            Which was afforded to her until the situation unfolded.

It is not enough to convict Kavanaugh or to justify treating him poorly (as other indecent people have done), but the fact she has made the claim and from all possible means of evaluation indicates she believes this to be true, we must afford her the respect due a person that might have been assaulted.
                            How do YOU tell between someone lying and self-delusion?
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              There were also witnesses to the other womans claim of sexual assault against Kavanaugh which the White House blocked the FBI from investigating. So this wasn't only about Dr. Fords allegations, it was about the supporting evidence of other similar incidents which republicans made sure were not heard in testimony and it was about Kavanaughs temperment and partisan nature as well. Democrats had every right to oppose his confirmation because of the evidence, not simply because it was their intention to oppose him from the get go due to what the hypocitical republicans did to M. Garland.
                              Nothing to see here JimL has no source. he's just talking though his hat again.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
                                She says she was. Without proof she was lying, that is enough to afford her the benefit of the doubt.
                                The blatant contradictions and discrepancies between the various versions of her story, and "corroborating witnesses" who flat out reject her accusations, are sufficient for any reasonable person to conclude that she's probably lying. Not just about Kavanaugh. About all of it.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment