Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]31820[/ATTACH]

The online version of Time has the headline: How Christine Blasey Ford’s Testimony Changed America. One of the most notable changes has been that the left has thrown due process right out the window and into a wood chipper. Gone are the days of innocent until proven guilty. Now you are guilty until you can prove your innocence against nebulous, ever changing unsubstantiated accusations.
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OR, perhaps this has awakened enough people to the travesty that is. Time will tell.
    I see what you did there. And I doubt we can count on "Time".

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      And I didn't say anything that wasn't true about Ford so please drop the sanctimonious B.S. You're better than that. Your post was linked to mine and addressed to me, not to everyone.
      And I do apologize for picking your post out of the lot and not making explicit it was an arbitrary pick, a generally targetted idea based on the general trend of a series of posts, and not really directed at any specific idea. I sort of thought that wouldn't need explaination, but clearly that was not the case.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        And I do apologize for picking your post out of the lot and not making explicit it was an arbitrary pick, a generally targetted idea based on the general trend of a series of posts, and not really directed at any specific idea. I sort of thought that wouldn't need explaination, but clearly that was not the case.

Jim
        Apology accepted. And it did.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          Post of the day
          I cannot believe this thread has had 9 pages of posts in 3 days...!
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Some interesting numbers. In short, a president, who was not wanted by the majority of voters, has nominated a man who is not wanted by most of the electorate, and is being confirmed by Senators who represent less than half of the electorate. That combination has never happened before in the history of our country.

Don't get me wrong - I am hoping Kavanaugh is confirmed today. Anything else is a disaster for Democrats. If Kavanaugh is rejected, Democrats and liberals will celebrate and the right will rally - muting the coming "blue wave." And all that will result is that a new conservative candidate will be nominated and confirmed before midterms take effect in January. If Kavanaugh is confirmed, the right will be satisfied and likely return to its electoral indifference for midterms. Meanwhile, the left will be re-energized, magnifying the "blue wave" and likely ensuring that the house flips, and perhaps even making it possible to flip the senate (much less likely). At least one of the two Congressional chambers needs to flip in 2018 (preferably both). Our nation needs a bit more balance than it currently has. No one party should have so much power.

Meanwhile, I found this letter to the Senate interesting. I can find no reason to doubt this person - but I suspect they will be widely doubted here...
            Last edited by carpedm9587; 10-06-2018, 01:44 PM.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              Some interesting numbers. In short, a president, who was not wanted by the majority of voters, has nominated a man who is not wanted by most of the electorate, and is being confirmed by Senators who represent less than half of the electorate. That combination has never happened before in the history of our country.
              There are a lot of things that have never happened in the history of our country.

Don't get me wrong - I am hoping Kavanaugh is confirmed today. Anything else is a disaster for Democrats. If Kavanaugh is rejected, Democrats and liberals will celebrate and the right will rally - muting the coming "blue wave." And all that will result is that a new conservative candidate will be nominated and confirmed before midterms take effect in January. If Kavanaugh is confirmed, the right will be satisfied and likely return to its electoral indifference for midterms.
              I'm not so sure about that. Many of us are pretty hacked how the Democrats weaponized the process, and all the idiot 'rage' that they unleashed on people who didn't agree.

Meanwhile, the left will be re-energized, magnifying the "blue wave" and likely ensuring that the house flips, and perhaps even making it possible to flip the senate (much less likely). At least one of the two Congressional chambers needs to flip in 2018 (preferably both). Our nation needs a bit more balance than it currently has. No one party should have so much power.

Meanwhile, I found this letter to the Senate interesting. I can find no reason to doubt this person - but I suspect they will be widely doubted here...
              If only DiFi had played by the rules instead of holding this whole thing back and turning the whole process into a sham...
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Some interesting numbers. In short, a president, who was not wanted by the majority of voters, has nominated a man who is not wanted by most of the electorate, and is being confirmed by Senators who represent less than half of the electorate. That combination has never happened before in the history of our country.
                That's some interesting cherry-picking there.
                Don't get me wrong - I am hoping Kavanaugh is confirmed today. Anything else is a disaster for Democrats. If Kavanaugh is rejected, Democrats and liberals will celebrate and the right will rally - muting the coming "blue wave." And all that will result is that a new conservative candidate will be nominated and confirmed before midterms take effect in January. If Kavanaugh is confirmed, the right will be satisfied and likely return to its electoral indifference for midterms. Meanwhile, the left will be re-energized, magnifying the "blue wave" and likely ensuring that the house flips, and perhaps even making it possible to flip the senate (much less likely). At least one of the two Congressional chambers needs to flip in 2018 (preferably both). Our nation needs a bit more balance than it currently has. No one party should have so much power.
                Possible, since the electorate has the attention span of a gnat. Both sides will use this to gin up support, regardless of the outcome.
                That should probably have come with a language warning. I'm frankly not sure how much value a "corroborating witness" of events two months ago has regarding an alleged incident 3 decades ago. And that her life has been massively disrupted (which I have no reason to doubt) has no bearing on the factuality of her allegations.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  That's some interesting cherry-picking there.
                  Really. Which of these is not true, and what was omitted?

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Possible, since the electorate has the attention span of a gnat. Both sides will use this to gin up support, regardless of the outcome.
                  Yes- but a Kavanaugh loss will give the right an edge (and they already have a significant edge) while a Kavanaugh win will give the left an edge (which they need). Given the current unbalance - I lean towards a Kavanaugh win.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  That should probably have come with a language warning. I'm frankly not sure how much value a "corroborating witness" of events two months ago has regarding an alleged incident 3 decades ago. And that her life has been massively disrupted (which I have no reason to doubt) has no bearing on the factuality of her allegations.
                  What DOES have bearing is that she has been shown to have identified Kavanaugh as the perpetrator well before he was ever even cited as a candidate for the court by at least 5 people now - four of which did so under oath in an affidavit. At some point, one has to wonder if the conspiracy theory isn't beginning to look like the Kennedy, Moon Landing, and cow mutilation conspiracies.

That being said - I ironically hope they are ignored and Kavanaugh is confirmed - for the reasons cited. Sometimes you have to take a loss to gain a goal.

Comment

Yes- but a Kavanaugh loss will give the right an edge (and they already have a significant edge) while a Kavanaugh win will give the left an edge (which they need). Given the current unbalance - I lean towards a Kavanaugh win.
                    You sure about that? The House and the Senate can switch back and forth over time, but SCOTUS is much less volatile, given the "justice for life" aspect coupled with the ages of the most recent nominations. I think that's what's really got the Dem's panties in a twist.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And we all know how trustworthy opinion polls are...

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      Well, first of all, he spits out the latest liberal talking point: "The fact that the FBI did not interview either Christine or Judge Kavanaugh, by itself, renders absurd any assertion that the investigation was ‘thorough.'"

What's absurd is that liberals think this is a valid argument. Ford and Kavanaugh were grilled and cross examined for hours -- under oath -- and Ford herself concluded her testimony saying she had nothing else to add. What did liberals expect them to tell the FBI that wasn't already a matter of public record?

Secondly, he tries to shame people with an ad hominem fallacy: "If you saw her testimony and you didn’t find her credible, you know nothing about sexual assault." And... he just leaves it at that I guess he has his reasons for believing this, but he doesn't bother to share them.

And then there's his "smoking gun": an email dated June 29, 2018 that supposedly identifies Brett Kavanaugh as Ford's attacker. In other words, he's not a contemporary witness and can say nothing about what happened (or more likely didn't happen) 30-years ago. This, he thinks, is sufficient to corroborate Ford's contradictory narrative and Swiss cheese memory and overturn the testimony of witnesses who Ford identified as supposedly being in the house at the time of the assault. Not to mention the provable lies that Ford told, such as when and why she added a second door to her house.

Finally, he claims that Ford has always had a fear of flying, but this little factoid is directly contradicted by Ford herself who admitted in her testimony that she happily flies all over the world for work and pleasure.

So, you're right, I do doubt his letter, and I think for good reason.
                      Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-06-2018, 02:36 PM.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Well, first of all, he spits out the latest liberal talking point: "The fact that the FBI did not interview either Christine or Judge Kavanaugh, by itself, renders absurd any assertion that the investigation was ‘thorough.'"

What's absurd is that is that liberals think this is a valid argument. Ford and Kavanaugh were grilled and cross examined for hours -- under oath -- and Ford herself concluded her testimony saying she had nothing else to add. What did liberals expect them to tell the FBI that wasn't already a matter of public record?
                        This is the part that astounds me the most - I suppose they think the FBI is going to strap them to a lie detector, shine a bright light in their face, implement "good cop / bad cop", or maybe waterboard them?

All the FBI does in a supplemental background investigation is take statements, which amount to a "he said / she said" with no cross-examination or scrutiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          This is the part that astounds me the most - I suppose they think the FBI is going to strap them to a lie detector, shine a bright light in their face, implement "good cop / bad cop", or maybe waterboard them?

All the FBI does in a supplemental background investigation is take statements, which amount to a "he said / she said" with no cross-examination or scrutiny.
                          Or maybe the Columbo approach where the agent acts like an absent-minded klutz and tricks the suspect into confessing.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            You sure about that?
                            Pretty sure

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            The House and the Senate can switch back and forth over time, but SCOTUS is much less volatile, given the "justice for life" aspect coupled with the ages of the most recent nominations. I think that's what's really got the Dem's panties in a twist.
                            It is. Absolutely. But sometimes you have to acknowledge a loss. SCOTUS was doomed to go to the right the minute Kennedy resigned. That's not going to change. The best that can be harvested from this is to leverage that reality to swing congress to the left, putting the breaks on Trump and ensure that the rightward swing won't last beyond 2020. Hopefully, we won't swing all the way to the left, but my guess is that Congress and the Executive will go 100% left in 2020, and I'll be cheering for Republicans in 2022.

Comment

Really. Which of these is not true, and what was omitted?

I really don't think you can fire up the left any more. In fact, I would think that if anything the loss could cause them to deflate a bit. In any case, it really is difficult to maintain a high level of intensity for a prolonged period of time. Ask any military man what happens when you remain on high alert for an extended period. Or ask any athlete how a big win can actually keep momentum going whereas a big loss can more than likely take the steam right out of you.

In any case we'll know in about a month from now

Comment

Pretty sure

It is. Absolutely. But sometimes you have to acknowledge a loss. SCOTUS was doomed to go to the right the minute Kennedy resigned. That's not going to change. The best that can be harvested from this is to leverage that reality to swing congress to the left, putting the breaks on Trump and ensure that the rightward swing won't last beyond 2020. Hopefully, we won't swing all the way to the left, but my guess is that Congress and the Executive will go 100% left in 2020, and I'll be cheering for Republicans in 2022.
                                Somehow I really find that incredibly hard to believe.

Comment