Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    They'll do what they typically do when they lose. They'll claim that any decision where Kavanaugh's vote was a deciding factor is invalid and illegitimate much like how so many keep claiming that Trump's presidency doesn't really count (the whole "Not My President" movement and talk about impeaching him and voiding his presidency)
    I should add I won't be surprised if there is violence as well. That's another typical reaction from the left when they lose.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      So if he makes it what then? Will the left try to burn down the Supreme Court? Or will it all disappear as if it never happened?
      I really can't predict what the left will do anymore. they are
      Hard to say. They were teeing this up to be THE issue during the upcoming midterms, but now the wind seems to be knocked out of their sails. I guess they can always try to run on "Don't let another Brett Kavanaugh be nominated!" but I think even Democrat voters were turned off by this whole ugly process.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I should add I won't be surprised if there is violence as well. That's another typical reaction from the left when they lose.
        Yeah, my newsfeed on Facebook is a complete war zone. I'm staying off of it for a few days.
        I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          Wow, I was sure he would wait to the last minute - this is looking good! Not over yet though...
          Yep... it's not impossible for someone to change their mind at the last minute.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

They'll do what they typically do when they lose. They'll claim that any decision where Kavanaugh's vote was a deciding factor is invalid and illegitimate much like how so many keep claiming that Trump's presidency doesn't really count (the whole "Not My President" movement and talk about impeaching him and voiding his presidency)
            yeah but there is nothing they can do about it other than whine. It won't change the decision.

And if he doesn't get confirmed, do you think the accusations will magically not matter to anyone anymore? all back to normal?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Yep... it's not impossible for someone to change their mind at the last minute.
              Apparently the Republicans are (over) confident enough that one of the Senators will not be voting but will be at his daughter's wedding instead.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Not sure how I feel about Kavanaugh actually making it. While I don't have objections to a conservative judge being put on the Supreme Court, I worry that the controversy around Brett Kavanaugh increases the chance of extreme actions by Democrats (whether that be outright court packing whenever they get the trifecta of president/house/senate or, if they only have the Senate, outright refusing to confirm anyone if the president is Republican) and increase the already worrisome polarization of the country. I would've preferred if someone else was put on it. But, it is what it is.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                yeah but there is nothing they can do about it other than whine. It won't change the decision.

And if he doesn't get confirmed, do you think the accusations will magically not matter to anyone anymore? all back to normal?
                Back to normal in what way? If we're talking about Kavanaugh himself, the accusations will probably be mostly forgotten within a year if he doesn't make it to the Supreme Court because almost no one cares about or pays attention to District or Circuit Judges. People debate about how Merrick Garland was treated, but how many people have paid any attention whatsoever to what he's done since the failed nomination?
                Last edited by Terraceth; 10-05-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Apparently the Republicans are (over) confident enough that one of the Senators will not be voting but will be at his daughter's wedding instead.
                  They have a private jet waiting if they need his vote.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    susan collins - yes

She gave an excellent defense of Kavanaugh, this was big!
                    And the liberals' response shows that they don't respect women - they only respect women who march in lockstep with them.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So if he makes it what then? Will the left try to burn down the Supreme Court? Or will it all disappear as if it never happened?
                      I really can't predict what the left will do anymore. they are
                      They will doubled down on their efforts to take the house and the senate so they can impeach him - guaranteed that's the playbook.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jim, I am sure the others in this thread can agree that your posts seem to be finding a way to still believe Ford and hold Kavanaugh accountable despite having no evidence. Because you want to believe her ...
                        I work hard on a post like that to say exactly what I intend to say. I really wish you'd stop trying to read into it what isn't there.

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          No because our justice system works based on innocence till proven guilty. Unless there is evidence that you’re a rapist no you shouldn’t have your life destroyed over allegations that you are. Seriously PM, do you not remember history, such as the witch mania in the late Middle Ages where people were killed without evidence of their crime? The Salem Witch Trial not ring any bell with you? You really want to live in a world that at any point in time, you can be accused of a crime and have to prove the negative that you’re not a criminal or else? Yep, you’re insane and more evidence of how I should vote against your insanity. Sorry, I choose fact based and reason based legal systems where your entitled to rights under the law and only can be deprived of your rights in a court of law. If you want your sham trials, based on mob justice, move to a third world country because mob justice is rarely fair.
                          I want to live in a world where rape victims aren't told "too bad, you don't have any evidence, so your rapist gets to continue raping and prospering and you can't say anything because that opens the door for some hypothetical false accusation."

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          Your insane, nut job. More proof that a vote for democrats is a vote for mob justice, where reason and evidence doesn’t matter, only the raw emotion stirred up in the lust for blood. Evidence, facts, reason, we don’t need those, they get in the way of the emotion and thus are ignored.
                          The evidence shows credible false rape accusations are very, very rare. Reason tells us that rape victims shouldn't keep silent if they don't have any proof.

Comment

Accusations are not evidence any more than an assertion is. They need to be corroborated by evidence.

He received a unanimous "well qualified" rating from the Bar Association (their highest rating), has authored more than 300 judicial opinions during his time on the bench several of which were directly quoted and became used in the majority opinion by the Supreme Court. His opinions have been as likely to be joined in full by Democrat-appointed colleagues (88.67%) as they are by his Republican-appointed colleagues (88.94%). These are among the reasons that the left-leaning USA Today declared when he was nominated that "Kavanaugh may be the most qualified Supreme Court nominee in generations." These are the reasons that the Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee almost never asked him about his ruling but spent most of their time making campaign speeches for their own re-elections.

The only "legitimate" reason for not wanting him on the Supreme Court is that you don't like his judicial philosophy and don't want the SCOTUS to shift to a more conservative tract. While understandable it was the previous Administration that so aptly put it, "elections have consequences"
                            Why do the police investigate crimes they are informed of by citizens? The claim that a crime took place is evidence that a crime took place. It may turn out to be bad evidence, but it is still evidence.

Or someone believes the accusations are true. Or someone believes his behavior during the hearing was not suitable for a SC justice. Or someone believes his past rulings or expressed legal opinions were faulty. Or someone doesn't like how the accusations were handled.
                            Last edited by Psychic Missile; 10-05-2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

If you automatically believe every accusation until it is proven false you end up with a society of manipulators using the system to punish people they don't like falsely. Which is why our constitution has in it the principal of innocent until proven guilty. To prevent railroading.

So while relying on sufficient evidence to convict might result in some guilty going free, it prevents a lot of innocent from being imprisoned or even put to death.

I am SOOOOO glad you liberals did not write the constitution. Our justice system would have been nothing but a Kangaroo court like the Salem Witch Trials.
                              You are conflating the burden of proof for opinions and the burden of proof for courts of law. My opinions in this thread have generally not concerned courts of law. It is statistically safe for ordinary people to take credible rape accusations at face value.
                              Last edited by Psychic Missile; 10-05-2018, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Because if you are NOT a rapist and were accused of rape and they believed the woman, your life would be over.
                                It wouldn't be as bad as getting raped. Wouldn't it be terrible if you were raped, you name your rapist, and nobody believes you because there might hypothetically exist someone who is falsely accused and they might hypothetically be shunned at some point in the future?

That is why we need evidence to convict someone, not accusations.
                                Yes, that is how the legal system works? We aren't talking about convictions.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                You seem to think that women don't lie about such things. They do. Especially in today's climate of liberals always believing the accuser.

I posted this earlier:

----
                                Woman who made false rape claim gets 1 year in jail

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — A woman who police say had a sexual encounter with two college football players in Connecticut and later made false rape allegations so she wouldn’t lose a potential boyfriend was sentenced Thursday to one year in jail.

Nikki Yovino, 20, of South Setauket, New York, was sentenced Thursday in Bridgeport Superior Court. She agreed to serve the jail time when she pleaded guilty in June, just before jury selection was to begin, to misdemeanor charges of falsely reporting an incident and interfering with police.

Yovino was attending Sacred Heart University in Fairfield when she reported being raped by two school football players at an off-campus party in Bridgeport in October 2016. But police said she later admitted making up the allegations so she wouldn’t ruin a relationship with another student.

Of course false accusations exist. I talked about the statistics behind them in this post. Because false accusations are so rare, it just doesn't make sense to assume them as the default.
                                Last edited by Psychic Missile; 10-05-2018, 10:15 PM.

Comment