Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cliven Bundy puts gun in mouth, pulls trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting to me is the fact that mostly those who misunderstood what Bundy said are either liberals or were not aware that the reporting was horribly twisted. Of course Bundy probably expected, foolishly, a somewhat honest media.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I'm still struggling to see a reason to defend his illegal grazing behavior.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Legal evil is still evil.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          I don't know that anybody is defending that, are they?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I don't know that anybody is defending that, are they?
            I am. The government limited grazing to 150 or so cows under the guise of protecting some turtle but was actually just conniving to remove all the ranchers from the area so Harry Reid can build a Chinese power plant (or something). Since Bundy has a lot more cows than that it would have effectively ruined him, so he stopped paying fees.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              I am. The government limited grazing to 150 or so cows under the guise of protecting some turtle but was actually just conniving to remove all the ranchers from the area so Harry Reid can build a Chinese power plant (or something). Since Bundy has a lot more cows than that it would have effectively ruined him, so he stopped paying fees.
              I'll do some fact checking on this, but right now, one of my Church Members is in the hospital in critical condition, so I'll be away from the computer for a while.

The logic, however, that you have too many cows to be able to afford to feed them doesn't make a whole lot of sense to THIS rather small-time rancher. When I've had that problem (and a whole lot of other bigger ranchers around me) due to drought, or whatever, the logical thing is to sell off a bunch of the herd.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'll do some fact checking on this, but right now, one of my Church Members is in the hospital in critical condition, so I'll be away from the computer for a while.

The logic, however, that you have too many cows to be able to afford to feed them doesn't make a whole lot of sense to THIS rather small-time rancher. When I've had that problem (and a whole lot of other bigger ranchers around me) due to drought, or whatever, the logical thing is to sell off a bunch of the herd.
                Yes and the workers and his family (IIRC he has 14 kids) should do... what? Sit on welfare, so Harry Reid can add a few more millions to his already fat portfolio?

Comment

Bundy may or may not be in the wrong to some degree. This does not excuse the rabid over action on the part of the Feds.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

He's an old codger from a whole 'nuther era. Therefore, let's go after him with paramilitary overwhelming force!
                    Some officer of the law you must have been CP. Bundy lost his battle in court, and has continued now for 20 years to ignore the law and pay the same fees that all other farmers are lawfully paying to the point where he now owes over a million dollars. 20 years CP, thats real government overreach isn't it? Now he brings in anti government insurectionist to train their guns on officers of the law and all you can do is blame the law for attempting to enforce the court order. Just curious CP, as an ex officer of the law, how would you have handle the situation differently?

Comment

It's a pretty straightforward Romans 13 issue as far as I see it. Bundy should have obeyed the law after he lost in court.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Some officer of the law you must have been CP.
                        Bite my shorts, Jimmy.

Bundy lost his battle in court, and has continued now for 20 years to ignore the law and pay the same fees that all other farmers are lawfully paying to the point where he now owes over a million dollars. 20 years CP, thats real government overreach isn't it? Now he brings in anti government insurectionist to train their guns on officers of the law and all you can do is blame the law for attempting to enforce the court order.
                        Here's what I said, Jimmy....
                        I'll do some fact checking on this,
                        That's EXACTLY what I said. On YOUR part, however, you just repeat the talking points of the liberal left loonies' echo chamber.

Just curious CP, as an ex officer of the law, how would you have handle the situation differently?
                        First of all, I think you got some of your facts backwards, but I can't say for sure, because there's a whole lot of hype coming from both sides. I can guarantee you I would not have come in with overwhelming force if, in fact, I was concerned about the goofy turtles he was supposedly endangering.

This is a little more complex that you're used to dealing with, Jimmy, so perhaps you should let the adults discuss this one.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          It's a pretty straightforward Romans 13 issue as far as I see it. Bundy should have obeyed the law after he lost in court.
                          Does Bundy profess to be a Christian? (I don't know the answer to that)

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            The problem with citing Romans 13 is that the entire historical foundation of the United States and its founders (which were professed Christians) were in violation of that scripture. I don't know what that would mean though. It's sort of a double standard. How would God view a covenant between two Israelites if that covenant was in direct violation of God's law? It might mean that all the US laws are illegitimate in the eyes of God. I'm not saying that this excuses not paying taxes, but it can get spiritually complicated citing Romans 13 under the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              The problem with citing Romans 13 is that the entire historical foundation of the United States and its founders (which were professed Christians) were in violation of that scripture. I don't know what that would mean though. It's sort of a double standard. How would God view a covenant between two Israelites if that covenant was in direct violation of God's law? It might mean that all the US laws are illegitimate in the eyes of God. I'm not saying that this excuses not paying taxes, but it can get spiritually complicated citing Romans 13 under the circumstances.
                              I don't agree. If you can get and keep an independent state then you are the de facto government and it is the imperial power that is in the wrong. The Romans were an overwhelming power, unlike the British. The Jews had no legitimate claim to a state because they did not have the ability to enforce it. Americans could and did.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                                I don't see any caveats about the legitimacy of how the government originally came into place. One could argue that almost any government had to originally come into place by force some way or the other.
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment