Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Botham Shem Jean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Well, if Mohammad had actually preached love, forgiveness and healing instead of Jihad, you might have a point.

"We"? What motivation - other than the love of Christ - could possibly explain what he did?

He had a good Christian momma who taught him well.

You would prefer, perhaps, the anger, shouting and chaos that was going on in the hall?
    The point is that empathy and compassion towards other human beings is purest when not laced with spooky nonsense, and courts ought to know better than getting involved in religious behaviour, especially when in support of a particular religion. This was between Jean and Guyger. On reflection, I think it was probably a bad idea to allow contact in the courtroom.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Looks like the MSM is none too eager to cover the demonstration of Christian forgiveness: Network Morning Shows Hide Explicit Christian Message in Astonishing Act of Forgiveness

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        I'd be more concerned with those who want to turn a teaching moment about forgiveness into something bitter and negative.
        It amazes me that somebody can look at what happened and find anything other than an incredibly healing moment. Guyger is still going to prison, she'll still be a convicted felon no matter what happens, and Brandt Botham isn't allowing this to destroy his faith.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          The point is that empathy and compassion towards other human beings is purest when not laced with spooky nonsense,
          No, that may be YOUR point, but not "the point". What spooky nonsense was on display in the courtroom, ff?

and courts ought to know better than getting involved in religious behaviour, especially when in support of a particular religion.
          The trial was officially over. The judge had performed her duty, sentence was pronounced, case was over. Period.

This was between Jean and Guyger. On reflection, I think it was probably a bad idea to allow contact in the courtroom.
          During the trial, absolutely.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Looks like the MSM is none too eager to cover the demonstration of Christian forgiveness: Network Morning Shows Hide Explicit Christian Message in Astonishing Act of Forgiveness
            Because it doesn't fit their narrative -- Christians are mean and hateful and judgmental.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              I feel really disheartened this morning.

This has gone viral among Christians about a story of forgiveness. But apparently a lot of Black Christians are not thrilled... at all.

In one of the apologetics groups I'm in, one guy I've seen around Christian circles, a black guy... is downright pissed. He won't even say what he thinks other than that "you just don't get it". Another guy with a fairly wide voice, who is married to a black woman, says that white Christians need to be focusing just as much on systematic racism rather than just forgiveness.

An old friend of mine from high school who is now a pastor also just posted on Facebook to other pastors that if they want to use this as an example in church of forgiveness... but they haven't preached against current day racism, or didn't use Martin Luther King Day to do so... that preaching about Amber Guyger is going to do more harm than good. A friend chimed in that she had heard from a lot of black Christians and they are not thrilled about this story being used in this way... at all.

If a lot of black Christians feel this way, I feel that I can't just ignore their feelings, you know? Yet this sort of turning the other cheek is what Christianity is about. But the situation of racism in the US does complicate how to convey that.
              A black pastor friend of mine, who is conservative and is praising this conduct by Brandt, explained to me that "the angry blacks" (his words) see this as 'whitey' thinking that blacks need to be put in their place as subservient and mild mannered, and delegitimizes the anger of blacks toward white domination.

Comment

I feel really disheartened this morning.

This has gone viral among Christians about a story of forgiveness. But apparently a lot of Black Christians are not thrilled... at all.

In one of the apologetics groups I'm in, one guy I've seen around Christian circles, a black guy... is downright pissed. He won't even say what he thinks other than that "you just don't get it". Another guy with a fairly wide voice, who is married to a black woman, says that white Christians need to be focusing just as much on systematic racism rather than just forgiveness.

An old friend of mine from high school who is now a pastor also just posted on Facebook to other pastors that if they want to use this as an example in church of forgiveness... but they haven't preached against current day racism, or didn't use Martin Luther King Day to do so... that preaching about Amber Guyger is going to do more harm than good. A friend chimed in that she had heard from a lot of black Christians and they are not thrilled about this story being used in this way... at all.

If a lot of black Christians feel this way, I feel that I can't just ignore their feelings, you know? Yet this sort of turning the other cheek is what Christianity is about. But the situation of racism in the US does complicate how to convey that.
                There seems to be an increasingly prevalent attitude (both in Christian circles and out) that seems to effectively reject the concept of forgiveness. That's not quite the right way to put it, but I'm having trouble thinking of the right word at the moment. It's a scary phenomenon.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• For those questioning or challenging Brandt Jean's motivation, listen to his own words on Good Morning America...

Botham Jean's brother on courtroom hug with Amber Guyger: 'She still deserves love'

"This is what you have to do to set yourself free," Jean said in an exclusive interview Friday on "Good Morning America." "I didn't really plan on living the rest of my life hating this woman."

"I know that there's something called peace of mind and that's the type of stuff you need to do to have peace of mind," he said. "That is why I wake up happy in the morning. That is why I want to live happy later on in my life."

And

"Each and every one has steps to get towards actually forgiving. I probably went through those faster than other people. Some people went through it faster than me," he said. "If you are trying to forgive [Guyger], understand that she is a human being. She still deserves love."

"She made a mistake that she probably truly regrets so if you want to forgive her, just understand that God forgave you," Brandt Jean added. "I know that every time I ask God for forgiveness, he forgives me, so who am I to not forgive someone who asks?"

Comment

It amazes me that somebody can look at what happened and find anything other than an incredibly healing moment. Guyger is still going to prison, she'll still be a convicted felon no matter what happens, and Brandt Botham isn't allowing this to destroy his faith.
                    It amazes me too, but I get it. God's ways are just so alien to this world system, as it often flips the wisdom of the age on its head. I've no doubt that some wanted Guyger to receive a not guilty verdict so that it would feed into their outrage over systemic racism. So they could use the whole issue as an example, and go "See!? See!? We expected nothing less." And instead she receives a guilty verdict, and then forgiveness from the family of the victim!? That's a bitter pill to swallow when expecting juicy outrage to feed on instead. Not to say that people shouldn't be outraged over racism where it can be found within the system, but it seems some would rather live with an open wound than the healing that forgiveness can begin to offer.

Comment

• The dumbest take I saw accused Botham Jean's brother of supporting white supremacy. I don't even know what one can even say to that.

At the same time, I feel uncomfortable brushing off so many of my black brothers in Christ if they are all saying the same thing.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        It amazes me too, but I get it. God's ways are just so alien to this world system, as it often flips the wisdom of the age on its head. I've no doubt that some wanted Guyger to receive a not guilty verdict so that it would feed into their outrage over systemic racism. So they could use the whole issue as an example, and go "See!? See!? We expected nothing less." And instead she receives a guilty verdict, and then forgiveness from the family of the victim!? That's a bitter pill to swallow when expecting juicy outrage to feed on instead. Not to say that people shouldn't be outraged over racism where it can be found within the system, but it seems some would rather live with an open wound than the healing that forgiveness can begin to offer.
                        So, I was watching some of the (can't quite call it rioting) "demonstrations" that night after the trial in Dallas. It was a classic example of...

A) Outside the courtroom - This is how the world reacts to events
                        2) Inside the courtroom - This is how genuine Christianity responds

What's really interesting is how some of my Christian police buddies are struggling with this. They seem to want very badly to be angry that she was charged with murder, but the "justice system" worked, and love, mercy and forgiveness broke out. My son-in-law, a police lieutenant, says "I'm still processing".

Comment

What's really interesting is how some of my Christian police buddies are struggling with this. They seem to want very badly to be angry that she was charged with murder, but the "justice system" worked, and love, mercy and forgiveness broke out. My son-in-law, a police lieutenant, says "I'm still processing".
                          Why would they be upset? Do they simply feel she should have been above the law?
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The dumbest take I saw accused Botham Jean's brother of supporting white supremacy. I don't even know what one can even say to that.

At the same time, I feel uncomfortable brushing off so many of my black brothers in Christ if they are all saying the same thing.
                            I don't want to brush them off either, but I'm not sure what to do when it seems that the exact opposite is what's happening: that I'm the one that's being brushed off. Again, not quite how I want to put it but I'm having trouble putting thoughts down today for some reason.
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Why would they be upset? Do they simply feel she should have been above the law?
                              I think they were mainly upset about the fact that it was "murder", not "manslaughter". Quite honestly, I'm mildly surprised by that, but I understand it.

And, again, this isn't really an "officer involved shooting" which, pretty much by definition is "on the job", but an off-duty cop doing something downright indefensible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                                I don't want to brush them off either, but I'm not sure what to do when it seems that the exact opposite is what's happening: that I'm the one that's being brushed off. Again, not quite how I want to put it but I'm having trouble putting thoughts down today for some reason.
                                Like you, I'm having trouble putting together my thoughts on this. But one thing that keeps getting stuck in my mind is the idea that Christianity is about giving up our own rights in favor of the rights of others. So I want to try to understand their point of view in the most charitable manner possible.

I can understand the point of view that this is possibly a monumental court case. I think most of us can agree that there is at minimum a perception that black people do not get a fair shake when it comes to interactions with the police. And that this conviction can send a message that things are changing. Perhaps the black Christians (I'm really only interested in what Christians think. I don't give a crap what random race baiters think) who are upset may feel that the shift in the news coverage is overshadowing the narrative of things being better for them. And I get the impression that they think that we white people think this means "racism is over, everything's better". Some people seem to think that, but I don't think most do.

Comment