Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Botham Shem Jean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    It's a lot easier to do that with cars, especially before keyless entry was a thing.
    My point being that apartment doors, like cars, look alike if you are not paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      My point being that apartment doors, like cars, look alike if you are not paying attention.
      Or if you're 3 sheets to the wind. Then, maybe an apartment door can even look like a car door.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Apartment doors tend to look alike even if you ARE paying attention. Ya gotta look at the number to see any difference. Her problem wasn't so much in failing to note the number, but that the inside was decorated totally differently.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Apartment doors tend to look alike even if you ARE paying attention. Ya gotta look at the number to see any difference. Her problem wasn't so much in failing to note the number, but that the inside was decorated totally differently.
          1. The apartment number wasn't on the door. It is on a light fixture next to the door.
          2. The lights were out in the apartment.

Comment

it said she was in uniform coming off shift. So I don't think she would drink in uniform.
            I have a somewhat more dim view of human nature. I don't know if he she was drunk, I'm just saying I'm trying to picture how gone you'd have to be in the head to walk into another persons home, not realise it was someone else's (even if it was dim) and shoot someone in there. There is simply no excuse. At best we can say she had no malicious intent, and she didn't do it out of anger.

I definitely agree with you that she's still to blame.

Maybe she can throw some of the blame to the police department for making her work a 15 hour shift?
            I assume she's adult? If she said yes to it, then its her fault if she A) Had a gun on her while so tired of her mind she couldn't handle it responsibly. B) Took a shift so long if it would leave her in such a state of mind.

I think she should have left the gun at the office, and let this be a warning to gun owners. If you have a gun on you, you better be able to use it responsible.

She killed a man. Nothing she'll ever do for the rest of her life will make up for that.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I woke up in a Soho doorway
              A policeman knew my name
              He said "You can go sleep at home tonight
              If you can get up and walk away"
              It was basically the first time I was drunk. Viking Festival, lots and lots of mead. I could barely walk, threw up more than once I think (I'm not sure), but I managed to stumble home with a friend. To his apartment no less. And yet even in that state I didn't mistake his apartment.

Was never anywhere near that drunk ever again. At most I only do a glass of wine or a single beer. To this day I have trouble drinking mead, makes me nausous.

Comment

When a local Texas police department calls in the Texas Rangers to handle the investigation of an officer-involved shooting, it's pretty much admitting "there's no way we can defend this".

That, coupled with the Chief's statement - "However, as we continued this investigation it became clear that we were dealing with what appears to be a much different and very unique situation." makes me think they're tossing this woman under the bus for good reason.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  I'm trying to figure out how the scenario played out, and the only thing that makes sense to me is that she came home really drunk. At any rate entering someone else's apartment, accidentally is something I've never done in my life.
                  Sleep deprivation can be as bad as or worse than the effects of alcohol. So that is another possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    Sleep deprivation can be as bad as or worse than the effects of alcohol. So that is another possibility.
                    Then you shouldn't own a gun, or wear a gun. I don't think this gets her out of it either. If she was so drunk, or sleep deprived that she ran over a kid on her way home, that wouldn't be a sufficient excuse then. So it shouldn't be just because what happened involved a gun.

As I said this better be a warning to all gun owners. For good or bad you carry an easy means of killing a person with you, and that means that its on you use it responsibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      When a local Texas police department calls in the Texas Rangers to handle the investigation of an officer-involved shooting, it's pretty much admitting "there's no way we can defend this".

That, coupled with the Chief's statement - "However, as we continued this investigation it became clear that we were dealing with what appears to be a much different and very unique situation." makes me think they're tossing this woman under the bus for good reason.
                      Yeah I'm wondering if there's something more to this. I'll definitely be looking forward to updates.

Comment

I have a somewhat more dim view of human nature. I don't know if he she was drunk, I'm just saying I'm trying to picture how gone you'd have to be in the head to walk into another persons home, not realise it was someone else's (even if it was dim) and shoot someone in there. There is simply no excuse. At best we can say she had no malicious intent, and she didn't do it out of anger.

I definitely agree with you that she's still to blame.

I assume she's adult? If she said yes to it, then its her fault if she A) Had a gun on her while so tired of her mind she couldn't handle it responsibly. B) Took a shift so long if it would leave her in such a state of mind.

I think she should have left the gun at the office, and let this be a warning to gun owners. If you have a gun on you, you better be able to use it responsible.

She killed a man. Nothing she'll ever do for the rest of her life will make up for that.
                        She is tired. She stumbles to what she thinks is her door, probably thinking about her shift, not paying attention thinking everything is just fine. Opens the door and in the light from the hall sees a shadowy figure. The guy probably heard someone at the door and got up from the bedroom without turning on the lights. In a split second she reacts to seeing someone in 'her' apartment and draws and shoots. There wasn't a lot of time involved or thinking. Which is part of the problem. I can totally see how it happened.

Yes, it is still her fault. No she couldn't leave the gun at the office. That is not how it works. Police have to have their gun on them at all times when on duty (and most carry off duty too) - the whole thing on TV where detectives put their gun in a drawer when at their desk is completely fake. No officer or detective does that.

IF she was at her apartment and there was someone in her apartment, what she did would have been completely legal and the right thing to do. Her mistake was in not paying attention to her surroundings properly. She is responsible for that. Thus she is responsible for her actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You think maybe she WAS drinking on duty or something?

Comment

Yes, it is still her fault. No she couldn't leave the gun at the office. That is not how it works. Police have to have their gun on them at all times when on duty (and most carry off duty too) - the whole thing on TV where detectives put their gun in a drawer when at their desk is completely fake. No officer or detective does that.
                            Surely there's a place to store it? I mean she's going home and she's so tired she doesn't know in what direction she's going. So tired that she'd mistakingly walk into the wrong home and shoot someone?

That's not an easy mistakes. That's multiple bad decisions one after the other. If she was so tired she shouldn't have driven a car home, much less had a gun on her. If you're too out of your mind to drive, you shouldn't be using your gun. And I personally think driving while sleep deprived should be illegal.

IF she was at her apartment and there was someone in her apartment, what she did would have been completely legal and the right thing to do.
                            This is no excuse. Do you agree on that?

Comment

Then you shouldn't own a gun, or wear a gun. I don't think this gets her out of it either. If she was so drunk, or sleep deprived that she ran over a kid on her way home, that wouldn't be a sufficient excuse then. So it shouldn't be just because what happened involved a gun.

As I said this better be a warning to all gun owners. For good or bad you carry an easy means of killing a person with you, and that means that its on you use it responsibly.
                              nobody is excusing her

Comment

nobody is excusing her
                                Eh, you're doing a lot of "It was a mistake anyone could have made ... it would have been perfectly legal and just if it was her own home" kind of explanation. What does it matter if it would have been legal if it was a robber in her own home.

It wasn't a robber in her own her own. She was trespassing on someone else's home, and killed them.

Comment