Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Botham Shem Jean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    As I had already stated...

I was answering KG.

Pay attention to the quote!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

First, she can appeal for a new trial, but I really can't figure out what the defense would use as a basis.
      Second, she would have to serve 50% of the actual sentence*, then request a hearing for parole.

*The caveat is that there is a 30 year maximum --- so if she had been sentenced to 99 years, the maximum she would have to wait for an opportunity for parole would be 30 years.
      I heard some speculation that because the judge would not let the defense experts testify and did allow prosecution's expert to testify that there may be grounds for appeal.
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Out of curiosity, why was the maximum sentence 99 years? I thought first degree murder was eligible for the death penalty in Texas.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Out of curiosity, why was the maximum sentence 99 years? I thought first degree murder was eligible for the death penalty in Texas.
          Death penalty comes for capital murder - the murder of a police officer, or something particularly heinous, but death penalties in Texas have been decreasing substantially.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The young man (turns out it was Botham's brother) asked the judge if he could give Guyger a hug, and the judge is allowing it --- they're hugging it out.
            After the young man's victim statement, the mood changed --- the Judge is now hugging Amber - the rest of the witnesses seem to be declining to make statements -- in an incredibly unusual move, the Judge appeared to be sharing scripture with Guyger, and was hugging it out with her. It's being said that the Judge gave Guyger a Bible.

Even the police officers standing around are in tears.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Botham's brother said "I don't even want you go go to jail - I just want you to come to Christ". Then he asked the judge if he could hug Guyger --- at first, it appeared she wouldn't allow it, but he asked several times, "Please, please?" She allowed it, they hugged quite a while, and that's when the mood dramatically changed to calm, and even the Judge came down from the bench to talk to Guyger, hug her, give her a Bible...

I've never seen anything like this in a courtroom in my life.

Comment

After the young man's victim statement, the mood changed --- the Judge is now hugging Amber - the rest of the witnesses seem to be declining to make statements -- in an incredibly unusual move, the Judge appeared to be sharing scripture with Guyger, and was hugging it out with her. It's being said that the Judge gave Guyger a Bible.

Even the police officers standing around are in tears.
                To God be the glory.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  To God be the glory.
                  I'm watching the live feed, and the 'talking heads' - Tanya Eiserer (investigative reporter) and Chris Oldner (Former Texas District Judge) were quite choked up by this - Eiserer was actually weeping while reporting this. "Never saw such a display of real Christianity".

Comment

• Botham's mother is speaking now - calmly but firmly condemning the Dallas Police Department's corruption, mismanagement, and the incredibly poor training that Guyger apparently received.
                    "The City of Dallas needs to clean up inside - the Dallas Police Department needs to clean house...."

That was pretty much it, no questions, "time to move on".

(By the way, this was livestreaming from WFAA, Channel 8, Dallas)

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      I already sent her the screen shot!
                      It's the 99 percent of women with more than three cats that give the 1 percent a bad name.

Comment

Botham's mother is speaking now - calmly but firmly condemning the Dallas Police Department's corruption, mismanagement, and the incredibly poor training that Guyger apparently received.
                        "The City of Dallas needs to clean up inside - the Dallas Police Department needs to clean house...."

That was pretty much it, no questions, "time to move on".

(By the way, this was livestreaming from WFAA, Channel 8, Dallas)
                        I'm trying to calculate if this, erm, uh, yeah, whatever, is likely to help the DPD improve its policing. If you need the eggs, it doesn't matter all that much if Grandpa thinks he's a chicken.

But first, show me the eggs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                          I'm trying to calculate if this, erm, uh, yeah, whatever, is likely to help the DPD improve its policing. If you need the eggs, it doesn't matter all that much if Grandpa thinks he's a chicken.

But first, show me the eggs.
                          It's very possible that, given what happened in the courtroom AND what the momma said in the hallway that there will be an honest attempt to work together to "work the problem". If the family can forgive the woman AND demand that there be changes, maybe it will actually come to pass.

Comment

... and distractions from sexting with her former partner?

I'm figuring folks have the right to choose their sexual partners, but that's an unbelievably unprofessional dynamic in any workspace, and the efforts they both made to delete the messages says they thought so, too.
                            I can't help but be reminded about the Katlyn Alix case from a year or so ago. She was the police officer in Missouri who got shot in a Russian roulette game. Turns out she was married, but having an affair with another officer (either the one who shot him or one who was present) and was planning on moving in with him. I don't know if there's a connection to be drawn other than "generally a bad idea" though.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It's very possible that, given what happened in the courtroom AND what the momma said in the hallway that there will be an honest attempt to work together to "work the problem". If the family can forgive the woman AND demand that there be changes, maybe it will actually come to pass.
                              I hate being the cynic sometimes, but somebody's gotta say it. I've read stories about prisoners who've received mercy for memorizing the Qur'an, with everyone in tears about how it's going to change everything. This is a story about a convicted murderer doing nothing at all, just taking a hug and a bible from a judge.

Please tell me this won't affect her sentence.

I don't believe any amount of training, or praying, or altar calling, could have or would have turned this screw-up into a model cop.

The one thing I'm keying in on is the emotional dynamic, and I'm liking that. If the call for reform and rebuilding comes from a healing emotion, I'm thinking it's got a better chance to work than a demand for reform from threats of "no justice, no peace." The only way reform is going to work is by boosting the standards for the next class going through the police academy.

Better recruits are the "eggs" I'm looking for from grandpa.

Comment

I hate being the cynic sometimes,
                                No you don't.

but somebody's gotta say it. I've read stories about prisoners who've received mercy for memorizing the Qur'an, with everyone in tears about how it's going to change everything. This is a story about a convicted murderer doing nothing at all, just taking a hug and a bible from a judge.

Please tell me this won't affect her sentence.
                                My attention in this part hasn't been on her at all. It was on the forgiveness of the deceased's brother and family.

I don't believe any amount of training, or praying, or altar calling, could have or would have turned this screw-up into a model cop.
                                I asked earlier, does ANYBODY believe this woman deserves to be a cop? The error in this, in my opinion, was hiring her in the first place.

The one thing I'm keying in on is the emotional dynamic, and I'm liking that. If the call for reform and rebuilding comes from a healing emotion, I'm thinking it's got a better chance to work than a demand for reform from threats of "no justice, no peace." The only way reform is going to work is by boosting the standards for the next class going through the police academy.
                                Exactly what I'm saying - the contrast of the whoopdedoo "black lives matter" hollering and theatrics in the hallway vs. the display of true Christian forgiveness in the courtroom. Even some of those big tough policemen were fighting back tears.

The Jean family has more than earned the right to be heard by their outpouring of love rather than stomp and snort and point fingers and demand.

Better recruits are the "eggs" I'm looking for from grandpa.
                                Ya lost me on that one. Sometimes I wish you could just talk plain.

Comment