Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Edward Snowden installed as rector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Snowden installed as rector

What wonderful news. Intelligence whistleblower Edward Snowden has been installed as rector at Glasgow University. The former US National Security Agency contractor fled from his homeland last May after revealing extensive details of internet and phone surveillance. The 30-year-old is currently staying in Russia, where he has temporary asylum. Speaking via a video link from Russia, Mr Snowden said he was honoured to take up the post but could not attend as he was not allowed in the UK.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

He's still a liar.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      He's still a liar.
      Could be worse. He could be Obama.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        What wonderful news. Intelligence whistleblower Edward Snowden has been installed as rector at Glasgow University. The former US National Security Agency contractor fled from his homeland last May after revealing extensive details of internet and phone surveillance. The 30-year-old is currently staying in Russia, where he has temporary asylum. Speaking via a video link from Russia, Mr Snowden said he was honoured to take up the post but could not attend as he was not allowed in the UK.
        Why haven't we droned him yet?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Why haven't we droned him yet?
          Because as little love as our government has for its Constitutional limitations, it still isn't quite ready to make a habit of executing citizens without trial.

Comment

Plus, droning someone in Russia could be problematic.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
              Because as little love as our government has for its Constitutional limitations, it still isn't quite ready to make a habit of executing citizens without trial.
              Well didn't we drone a couple of Muslim American citizens a while back?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                Plus, droning someone in Russia could be problematic.
                Yes, for the one getting droned. I'm tired of kissing Putin's ass...

Comment

Well didn't we drone a couple of Muslim American citizens a while back?
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki

Yes, "we" did, and it's only one entry on a long list of unconstitutional acts by this president.

Snowden's certainly done more that's worthy of this honorary position of rector than Obama did with respect to the Nobel Peace Prize.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                    Could be worse. He could be Obama.

Comment

I'm glad that a Snowden happened - even if nothing substantial changes from it.

Comment

Yes, for the one getting droned. I'm tired of kissing Putin's ass...
                        He wouldn't feel like he could get away with such acts if Obummer wasn't such a "tolerant" (Buzzword), compulsively lying, little wimp, who lost the support of his people a long time ago.
                        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

I see that in 2005, the politically astute Glasgow University students elected another whistle blower, one Mordechai Vanunu after he was released from 18 years of imprisonment for spilling the beans on the secret Israeli nuclear weapons program. Vanunu said he suffered "cruel and barbaric treatment" at the hands of Israeli authorities while imprisoned, and suggests that his treatment would have been different if he had not converted to Christianity from Judaism.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            He's still a liar.
                            He is technically a traitor to the State. Whether this makes him a traitor to the historic American Nation is another question entirely.

Originally posted by seer
                            I'm tired of kissing Putin's ass...
                            It's guaranteed to be cleaner than President Down-Low's.

Comment