Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Collusion update: "no factual evidence"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimL
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I think as usual Trump's hyperbole was, shall we say, a tad bit exaggerated. OTOH Trump never claimed that the planet itself was reacting positively to his merely being nominated and his followers have never excitedly talked about getting a thrill up there leg or called him "a god" or the Messiah.
    Neither did Obama make such a claim except in the minds of Fox News watchers. What Trump did was to just claim the opposite, i.e. that he, a complete nincompoop with respect to climate change, knows better than the overwhelming majority of the scientific community.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Not even remotely the same.

Jim
    True. Obama actually ordered those.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
    Ok, I'll add 'overly literal' and 'incapable of incorporating the context of a statement' into my list of characters traits for you that may help me tailor my responses to you into something you are capable of comprehending.
    Speaking of context, I can see you didn't bother to read the original source, because he doubled-down on his comment several times. For instance, "The president may never be found guilty of [a crime], but he can be impeached for it," and "He doesn’t have to commit a crime, only has to have his case brought before the House of Representatives, and 218 people decide that he has committed an impeachable act."

You can attempt to spin this however you want, but this uninformed congressman is clearly saying that the commission of a crime is not a prerequisite for impeachment.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Ok, I'll add 'overly literal' and 'incapable of incorporating the context of a statement' into my list of characters traits for you that may help me tailor my responses to you into something you are capable of comprehending.

Jim
    This coming from someone who complained about Trump's joke about Hillary's email server as being "treason"?

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Again, nice attempt to spin it, but he didn't say, "The president does not have to be indicted for a crime to be impeached," he said, "The president does not have to commit a crime to be impeached."

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
    No spin about it. That's just what the situation is. If you can't indict a president, then you can't impeach him for a crime committed in office unless Congress can determine on their own without an indictment he has in fact committed a time. It's really not all that complicated. The only other option is to allow him to be indicted while in office for a crime and then have a trial. And that would not be a very good option.
    Again, nice attempt to spin it, but he didn't say, "The president does not have to be indicted for a crime to be impeached," he said, "The president does not have to commit a crime to be impeached."

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    The "strenuousness" is due to the excessively hyperbolic reaction from the left and MSM (being redundant there) that takes every incident even those that are tiny molehills and blows them up into Mount Everest-sized "the sky is falling" constitutional crises. It is a response to the madness by trying to put things into perspective, and yes as Brum has noted has pushed people into taking positions they likely would not take

Congratulations.

Not that you are in any way solely responsible but you are certainly a part of it at least here.

You mentioned earlier that for all their faults at least Obama and Bush appealed to our noble or moral nature. But in spite of strong criticism neither have been besieged in the manner Trump has giving him little opportunity to do much else but fight back which is behavior that isn't conducive to such appeals. Whether or not he would do so if things were different will remain unknown in the toxic atmosphere we are in.

And these were things that started to be healed when he won the nomination for president. That was all that was necessary for the change to start. His nomination was "the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal." He needn't lift a finger or do anything for that to start except be there and be nominated. Sort of like he didn't have to do anything to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize but merely be elected.
    Rogue, you are being ridiculous. Historians often look for critical events that sparked lasting change. Obama was, with Trump sized ego, stating that he believed history would see what his administration would accomplish in pushing back against AGW as the turn of the tide, the change in the momentum that would lead to a reversal of the trend.

It's hopeful and symbolic and also hopelessly arrogant. But not what you are saying.

Your interpretation is at the very least the same sort of hysteria you accuse me of, only targeted at Obama.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-27-2018, 08:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Sorry, you and so many others claim not to like much about Trump, but in one way or another, it seems most of those same people strenuously support every immoral deed he does that I bring criticism of. I'm just not seeing much ambivalence in your position. You so far have always taken a position that at the very least provides Trump cover, but often which out and out justifies his immoral and/or despicable behavior.
    The "strenuousness" is due to the excessively hyperbolic reaction from the left and MSM (being redundant there) that takes every incident even those that are tiny molehills and blows them up into Mount Everest-sized "the sky is falling" constitutional crises. It is a response to the madness by trying to put things into perspective, and yes as Brum has noted has pushed people into taking positions they likely would not take
    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

At this point I'm beginning to change my mind about Trump due to the insane reactions he's getting which are very often over nothing, or outright lies about him.

Congratulations.

Not that you are in any way solely responsible but you are certainly a part of it at least here.

You mentioned earlier that for all their faults at least Obama and Bush appealed to our noble or moral nature. But in spite of strong criticism neither have been besieged in the manner Trump has giving him little opportunity to do much else but fight back which is behavior that isn't conducive to such appeals. Whether or not he would do so if things were different will remain unknown in the toxic atmosphere we are in.

Yes. What are two of the major effects of Global warming:

Rising oceans

Loss of species
    And these were things that started to be healed when he won the nomination for president. That was all that was necessary for the change to start. His nomination was "the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal." He needn't lift a finger or do anything for that to start except be there and be nominated. Sort of like he didn't have to do anything to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize but merely be elected.

Leave a comment:

• Charles
    replied
    Sorry, you and so many others claim not to like much about Trump, but in one way or another, it seems most of those same people strenuously support every immoral deed he does that I bring criticism of. I'm just not seeing much ambivalence in your position.
    Exactly. The only sign of ambivalence we are seeing is the continued search for dirt on others which points to the fact that somehow they realise it is not all good. But they seem to want to cover that up.

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    You have misunderstood several of my statements.

1) The 'bewitchment' statement refers to a large part of the evangelical community. It includes some posters here but was not aimed at you specifically. Many evangelical leaders have put their lot in with Trump in various ways. Some have tried to justify or defend his actions. Many local evangelicals I know see Trump as a sort of savior though their Christian Theology would never allow themselves to call a man by that name directly.

The point of that statement you completely missed was this: With Bill, or Hillary, or Obama, we could count on people of Christian Faith being consistent with the teachings of the faith as regards whether they praised or criticised their actions. We did not have people of devout Christian faith ignoring gross violations of moral integrity for the sake of some short term material gain. Indeed, a common mantra in circles of faith during the Lewinsky scandal was 'character matters' - the idea that moral lapses in private predict moral lapses on a grander or more public scale, while many on the support Bill Clinton side were claiming that his character as regards Monica didn't matter, they were saying look at what he's doing politically, for the country. With Trump that is no longer true. Now it is the evangelical Christian community that is claiming character DOESN'T matter and just look at what he is doing politically.

It is blatant hypocrisy. And it matters to me because it is the Christian community doing it. And why should it matter if it is the Christian community instead of just some left leaning political talking heads? Because we are Ambassadors for Christ, not this world. And we have a standard to uphold because we bring the message of salvation to the world. That message can't be compromised for any temporal or materialistic gain.

It boggles my mind that so many I'm talking with keep using some sort of relative moral thinking about this as if its all the same, the Christians and non-Christians alike play by the same rules. IT is NOT. We are called OUT of the world, and we have a different and much higher set of standards we are to live by. As an example, we are to love our enemies. Did not Christ call attention to the fact the 'even the gentiles' love their friends. What reward is there for doing the same? No, we are called to love not just our friends but our enemies. And in that and in so many other ways a Christian is called NOT to base how they live their lives on how 'everybody else' does it.

We are called NOT to live in a symmetric moral tit for tat where the world defines the behavior. Character STILL matters. What doesn't matter is whether or not the offending party is someone we voted for vs someone we voted against.
    Yes that’s the spirit. Clutch those pearls and allow someone who sees the constitution as toilet paper to trample on our rights and continue to weaponize the government to ram their beliefs down our throats or else. Hey though, at least you stuck to your principles as your faith continues to be made irrelevant.

2) Trump is worse than his predecessors.

I will stand by that.
    Which shows your historical ignorance as I’ll explain below.

At the very least he is worse in the quantity if not the quality. He as had multiple affairs - not one or two. He lies openly and constantly, not just when he feels he must to accomplish some critical goal.
    JFK, LBJ, and Bill Clinton make Trump look like the little leagues. I remember reading an interview with one of Bill Clinton’s former lovers which she says that he talked about sleeping with 2,000 women. Women during LBJ’s time in congress said never be alone with him or else he would stick his hand down your pants and was quoted as saying he accidentally slept with more women than JFK ever did. We also know JFK had numberous lovers too. This comment is about as ignorant as can be and shows how bias you truly. The presidents has never been a model of virtue.

But consider also that he has lowered the level of public discourse on all issues. He rarely if ever appeals to our noble or moral nature in anything he does. Obama appealed to that nobility often. As did George Bush and Reagan. Even Bill Clinton did that. But no, Trump appeals only to what is the bottom of the barrel. Worse, Trump often displays not just poor character qualities but grossly immoral character qualities. Consider that Trump openly demeans even those who work for him*.
    Yes because forcing a baker out of business because he refused to bake a cake is totally high class. Weaponizing the federal government against political enemies is totally high class too. Referring to Latino’s as ‘ the Taco Bowel’ on private e mails is totally high class too. Where in the world have you been? LBJ had a mouth of a sailor and Hillary Clinton is known to have quite the potty mouth too. Hey, at least they are nice to your face as they insult you behind your back so I guess that’s something...

So in that, not only does Trump eschew 'love your enemies', not only does he eschew 'and eye for an eye', he openly does not even love those that ARE his friends. He loves only his worshipers.
    I guess you prefer the nice to your face while stabbing you in the back approach presidents have done before, correct?

Trump exceeds all before him in his disrespect for the law. In his disrespect for Justice, his disrespect for the law enforcement institutions of this country, and in his open disrespect for all people not praising him at the current moment. He is openly demeaning of those institutions, of our legal system anytime their proper operation hinders him or his goals.
    Were you sleeping from 2009 to 2017? How many times was the Obama Admin found breaking the law again and shut down by the courts?

And he exceeds his predecessors in his open rallying of his supporters against the free press. We NEED the free press. Trump doesn't understand that or doesn't care, in a way that exceeds all his predecessors. And most of you supporting him are blind to the danger of that.
    You mean the same press that plays cheerleader for the opposition party that glossed over ObamaÂ’s problems? That’s funny that you think the lying media is truthful as it covers for democrats.

Keep those pearls clutched close to your chest while yelling about principles as you let those that hate you and everything you stand for gain more and more power as you become less and less important to them.
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 08-26-2018, 11:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    I really see very little "unequivocal support"
    Sorry, you and so many others claim not to like much about Trump, but in one way or another, it seems most of those same people strenuously support every immoral deed he does that I bring criticism of. I'm just not seeing much ambivalence in your position. You so far have always taken a position that at the very least provides Trump cover, but often which out and out justifies his immoral and/or despicable behavior.

He [Obama] described his nomination as being "the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal."
    Yes. What are two of the major effects of Global warming:

Rising oceans

Loss of species

It's obvious rogue06. To take it any other way is ridiculous. OTOH, it is extremely presumptuous to believe that one man's presidency can have that much influence on Global Warming, so that statement is indeed absurd. But to say he's proclaiming himself some sort of god in that statement is just silly.

And notice, I'm only taking on your interpretation of the one statement. The rest of the stuff you posted I agree with you as being absurd and ridiculous, and something Obama should have strenuously resisted.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-26-2018, 07:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Rougue, you know because I have stated over and over again I speak not of voting for Trump as the lessor of two evils, but of unequivocal support even in the face of repeated and eqregious immoral acts.
    I really see very little "unequivocal support"

The statement was clearly about global warming and his administration's commitment to making the changes necessary to do something about it. It is definatly over the top in optimism as to what they could accomplish, but your take on it is frankly absurd.
    He described his nomination as being "the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal."

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    You know I'm thinking if Trump wanted Hillary in jail, maybe he should just have hired her?

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Simply voting for the lesser of two evils and then pointing out the hysterical over-the-top and sometimes outright scurrilous charges leveled against him is hardly equivalent to the worshipful adulation where he was literally called god, the Messiah and better than Jesus simply cannot be equated at any level.
    Rougue, you know because I have stated over and over again I speak not of voting for Trump as the lessor of two evils, but of unequivocal support even in the face of repeated and eqregious immoral acts.

[Quote]
    Um, no. He was proclaiming how he was "absolutely certain that generations from now" that "this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal." That wasn't about what he planned to do in the future but what was taking place at this moment. [Quote]

The statement was clearly about global warming and his administration's commitment to making the changes necessary to do something about it. It is definatly over the top in optimism as to what they could accomplish, but your take on it is frankly absurd.

Not only did he not make any move to stop it, he ate it up. He reveled in it.
    Whether that true I couldn't say. As I said in another post possibly in another thread, I didn't follow politics as much during Obama's time as president.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    You know I'm thinking if Trump wanted Hillary in jail, maybe he should just have hired her?

Leave a comment: