Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mike Licona lecture questioned at college

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You infantile fool, you trying to equate somebody establishing the historicity of a supposed event using the historical method to preaching proves either your lack of intelligence or level of intellectual honesty. Either option isn't flattering to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
      You infantile fool, you trying to equate somebody establishing the historicity of a supposed event using the historical method to preaching proves either your lack of intelligence or level of intellectual honesty. Either option isn't flattering to you.
      In Universities, Descartes rules. If you want to learn spooky history, go to seminary.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
        But if Mike Licona is presenting evidence that the Resurrection was a valid historical event then it is not just a religious discussion.
        A school lecture organized by a student org. is not a place to present evidence for something. Why should he not present this evidence to his peers? I think we can all hazard a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
          (especially funny considering that the vast majority of human beings throughout all time have been theists).
          While I certainly don't agree with firstfloor in this matter, I fail to see how this is relevant. The lumping of theists together implies that they somehow stand unified against atheism, when the truth is that they stand against each other just as much or more given the huge variety of supernatural beliefs that have existed.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Fair enough

But if Mike Licona is presenting evidence that the Resurrection was a valid historical event then it is not just a religious discussion.
            I think the only real issue here is funding. The article linked said the cost was ~$2,000. Can the organization not afford this on their own? That seems a paltry price to pay to shut up dissenters, especially since the event seems to be a presentation primarily for/to the organization itself.

HOWEVER

I'd be willing to bet more money has been spent on other questionable events in sufficient quantity to consider this whole issue a pointless fuss.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
              Yes. He's not a philosopher, and philosophy is where that kind of talk belongs, so I don't think it would have any scholastic value.
              Religion is a philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                While I certainly don't agree with firstfloor in this matter, I fail to see how this is relevant. The lumping of theists together implies that they somehow stand unified against atheism, when the truth is that they stand against each other just as much or more given the huge variety of supernatural beliefs that have existed.
                You missed his point - if the majority of people have been theists it is more reasonable to assume that legitimate debate can be had than to assume (as FF did) that there is no debate. Doesn't prove the thesis - does prove that there is a valid counterpoint (unless you presume the majority of humanity to be irrational which is itself irrational).
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I don't understand what you mean by this reply. Was something I said incorrect?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I think PM was talking about Dawkins not being a philosopher and how his book on the God Delusion is philosophy and it doesn't offer any scholastic value in him presenting a lecture on it.
                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I think PM was talking about Dawkins not being a philosopher and how his book on the God Delusion is philosophy and it doesn't offer any scholastic value in him presenting a lecture on it.
                      sounded like he was saying that there is no place in lectures about philosophy on colleges.

Comment

He said "He's not a philosopher, and philosophy is where that kind of talk belongs, so I don't think it would have any scholastic value." This seems to me like he's saying that only philosophers should be giving lectures on philosophy subject, not that philosophy isn't a legitimate subject. This seems like a reasonable point to me.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          He said "He's not a philosopher, and philosophy is where that kind of talk belongs, so I don't think it would have any scholastic value." This seems to me like he's saying that only philosophers should be giving lectures on philosophy subject, not that philosophy isn't a legitimate subject. This seems like a reasonable point to me.
                          Yeah. An appropriate avenue for an academic lecture on atheism would be philosophy. There's a huge difference between Richard Dawkins and, say, Simon Blackburn.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                            Yeah. An appropriate avenue for an academic lecture on atheism would be philosophy. There's a huge difference between Richard Dawkins and, say, Simon Blackburn.
                            OK sorry I misunderstood. Yeah Dawkins is not a philosopher at all. He is actually pretty bad at it in many ways.

Comment