Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are your kids confrontational? They might be terrorists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are your kids confrontational? They might be terrorists

According to Lisa Monaco, counterterrorism chief, if a parent sees "sudden personality changes in their children at home—becoming confrontational" they might be potential terrorists...

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/...s-in-children/

Everyone's a potential terrorist. Spy on your neighbors, spy on your children, if you see something say something. Live in fear of terrorist boogiemen around every corner! (in spite of the fact you're more likely to die getting struck by lightening or drowning in a bathtub than dying via a terrorist attack)

Is your wife turning into a confrontational hag? She might be a terrorist. It does tend to make you ugly:

Up-and coming Chechen revolutionaries, sporting sweet 80s hairstyles.

Father still has fashion sense, bomb momma full of grimace lines.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      According to Lisa Monaco, counterterrorism chief, if a parent sees "sudden personality changes in their children at home—becoming confrontational" they might be potential terrorists...

...)
      * Emphasis mine

Um, isn't the word for that 'adolescence'?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

At least attempt to get the quote complete:

Source: Lisa Monaco Remarks

Local communities are the most powerful asset we have in the struggle against violence and violent extremism. We’ve crunched the data on this. In the more than 80 percent of cases involving homegrown violent extremists, people in the community—whether peers or family members or authority figures or even strangers—had observed warning signs a person was becoming radicalized to violence. But more than half of those community members downplayed or dismissed their observations without intervening. So it’s not that the clues weren’t there, it’s that they weren’t understood well enough to be seen as the indicators of a serious problem.

What kinds of behaviors are we talking about? For the most part, they’re not related directly to plotting attacks. They’re more subtle. For instance, parents might see sudden personality changes in their children at home—becoming confrontational. Religious leaders might notice unexpected clashes over ideological differences. Teachers might hear a student expressing an interest in traveling to a conflict zone overseas. Or friends might notice a new interest in watching or sharing violent material.

The government is rarely in a position to observe these early signals, so we need to do more to help communities understand the warning signs, and then work together to intervene before an incident can occur, while always respecting our core commitment to protecting privacy and civil liberties. During the past several years, that’s what we’ve attempted to do.

© Copyright Original Source

I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post

Local communities are the most powerful asset we have in the struggle against violence and violent extremism. We’ve crunched the data on this. In the more than 80 percent of cases involving homegrown violent extremists, people in the community—whether peers or family members or authority figures or even strangers—had observed warning signs a person was becoming radicalized to violence. But more than half of those community members downplayed or dismissed their observations without intervening. So it’s not that the clues weren’t there, it’s that they weren’t understood well enough to be seen as the indicators of a serious problem.

What kinds of behaviors are we talking about? For the most part, they’re not related directly to plotting attacks. They’re more subtle. For instance, parents might see sudden personality changes in their children at home—becoming confrontational. Religious leaders might notice unexpected clashes over ideological differences. Teachers might hear a student expressing an interest in traveling to a conflict zone overseas. Or friends might notice a new interest in watching or sharing violent material.

The government is rarely in a position to observe these early signals, so we need to do more to help communities understand the warning signs, and then work together to intervene before an incident can occur, while always respecting our core commitment to protecting privacy and civil liberties. During the past several years, that’s what we’ve attempted to do.

I left a link to the stinkin article I captured the quote. If you're implying it was taken out of context, show me where.
          Last edited by seanD; 04-22-2014, 02:12 PM.

Comment

When your kids are born, put them in a box. Make sure there's a hole big enough to feed them, and remove waste.

When they turn 13, plug up the hole.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
              I left a link to the stinkin article I captured the quote. If you're implying it was taken out of context, show me where.
              It was taken out of context by the article you quoted. I provided the context and linked to a transcript of the speech.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I think it was pretty clear it was meant to be in the context of some of the other warning signs (like interest in extreme political views, etc.) But even those are pretty common among teenagers. It's common for teen boys to have passing interest in subjects like anarchy, Hitler, etc.

My guess is they were thinking "in conjunction with things like hanging out with radical imams" and stuff like that but didn't want to come out and say it.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

That actually makes it worse. The "signs" are so vague as to mean nothing. A student wants to visit Israel, He's a terrorist!!!! A kid gets a zombie video game, he's a terrorist!!!! A kid questions his pastor, he's a terrorist!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    That actually makes it worse. The "signs" are so vague as to mean nothing. A student wants to visit Israel, He's a terrorist!!!! A kid gets a zombie video game, he's a terrorist!!!! A kid questions his pastor, he's a terrorist!!!

The 'terrorist' appellation is the article's creation, not hers. Of course, getting a new video game is hardly a 'sudden personality change'.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      * Emphasis mine

Um, isn't the word for that 'adolescence'?
                      Amen.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

The 'terrorist' appellation is the article's creation, not hers. Of course, getting a new video game is hardly a 'sudden personality change'.
                        OK, "violent extremist"

Be careful, you are hanging out on a website where.... MUSLIMS sometime post! And you seem very confrontational!!!

Next thing you know, you will argue with Cow Poke, who is a pastor!

I think I need to report you to Homeland Security or the Men in Black. Just stay right where you are, Mr. Violent Extremist!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          When your kids are born, put them in a box. Make sure there's a hole big enough to feed them, and remove waste.

When they turn 13, plug up the hole.
                          He tried to do that to me, his own twin brother from another mother

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            He tried to do that to me, his own twin brother from another mother
                            Yeah, but RogueTechJunior made a smouldering pile of ashes out of my box.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Once the kids realize there is no wifi or cellphone service in Taliban country, they will give up this foolish idea.

Comment