Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Shooting At Newspaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by JimL View Post
    So what, your assertion that Trumps propaganda war against the media had nothing to do with this mental cases decision to carry out this attack is unfounded.
    I actually made no such assertion. I just opted not to ASSUME something not in evidence.

You have no idea one way or the other if Trumps rhetoric triggered the nut!
    There is nothing to suggest it did, but this will not prevent you from nuttering your own goofy accusations. Until there is at least some kind of EVIDENCE that "the nut" was prompted by Trump, I'll stick with those FACT thingies.

Leave a comment:

• RumTumTugger
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Occurred, yes.

This, of course, would be your own nutter version, unsupported by fact.

Thank you, Jim, for providing your own nutter's beef, but I hope you don't mind if I go with actual reporting of facts instead of your nutter conspiracy theories..

The police chief said the suspect had a history with county police and had made threats online against the Capital Gazette in 2013.

Retired publisher Tom Marquardt said he called authorities that year, telling his wife at the time: “This guy could really hurt us.”

A detective spoke with the Gazette’s legal counsel and several staffers at the time, Altomare said, but the paper didn’t want to pursue criminal charges.

“There was a fear that doing so would exasperate an already flammable situation,” he said.

Investigators also are reviewing Ramos’ social media postings.

“We had the instances in 2013, and then it went dark, and my understanding is that shortly before the incident, there were some posts,” Altomare said.

Did ya get that part about the newspaper's legal department deciding not to press charges because they were afraid it would exasperate (that means make much worse) an already flammable situation?
    CP how unfair of you to bring facts into a discussion JimL, Tass and Starlight want feelings to Trump Facts.

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    Occurred, yes.

Thank you, Jim, for providing your own nutter's beef, but I hope you don't mind if I go with actual reporting of facts instead of your nutter conspiracy theories..

The police chief said the suspect had a history with county police and had made threats online against the Capital Gazette in 2013.

Retired publisher Tom Marquardt said he called authorities that year, telling his wife at the time: “This guy could really hurt us.”

A detective spoke with the Gazette’s legal counsel and several staffers at the time, Altomare said, but the paper didn’t want to pursue criminal charges.

“There was a fear that doing so would exasperate an already flammable situation,” he said.

“We had the instances in 2013, and then it went dark, and my understanding is that shortly before the incident, there were some posts,” Altomare said.

Did ya get that part about the newspaper's legal department deciding not to press charges because they were afraid it would exasperate (that means make much worse) an already flammable situation?
    So what, your assertion that Trumps propaganda war against the media had nothing to do with this mental cases decision to carry out this attack is unfounded. You have no idea one way or the other if Trumps rhetoric triggered the nut!
    Last edited by JimL; 06-30-2018, 08:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by JimL View Post
    The nutters beef with the paper occured well before Trump,
    Occurred, yes.

his decision to murder journalists that had nothing to do with the beef he had with the paper

didn't occcur until after Trumps propaganda war against the media.

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I should note that it appears that Sean Hannity tried to link the shooting to Maxine Waters' rhetoric which is equally deplorable as the long list of those in the MSM trying to link it to Trump.
    You're just too funny, rogue!

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]28627[/ATTACH]
    That's an apt display for the current base of the republican party, rogue. Deplorable.

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    Except, of course, for the FACT that this was set in motion well before Trump. But you never seem terribly worried about them thar fact thingies.
    The nutters beef with the paper occured well before Trump, his decision to murder journalists that had nothing to do with the beef he had with the paper didn't occcur until after Trumps propaganda war against the media.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

The catalyst was his losing a defamation suit against the paper. Trump had no more to do with it than Obama did when his Administration declared that they would treat Fox News "like an opponent" tried to ban their participation in press conferences and went after James Rosen. Or Nixon when he actively went after the press having his enemies in the media audited. Or Lincoln when he suspended habeas corpus and closed down more than 300 newspapers that opposed his policies, jailing editors and reporters. Or the original "Fake News" president Thomas Jefferson when he proclaimed that "Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle."

Sheesh.
    I should note that it appears that Sean Hannity tried to link the shooting to Maxine Waters' rhetoric which is equally deplorable as the long list of those in the MSM trying to link it to Trump.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Yes, but Trump might be the catalyst.

The catalyst was his losing a defamation suit against the paper. Trump had no more to do with it than Obama did when his Administration declared that they would treat Fox News "like an opponent" tried to ban their participation in press conferences and went after James Rosen. Or Nixon when he actively went after the press having his enemies in the media audited. Or Lincoln when he suspended habeas corpus and closed down more than 300 newspapers that opposed his policies, jailing editors and reporters. Or the original "Fake News" president Thomas Jefferson when he proclaimed that "Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle."

Sheesh.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    At least, you hope.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Except, of course, for the FACT that this was set in motion well before Trump. But you never seem terribly worried about them thar fact thingies.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
    Trump refers frequently to media that reports negatively on him as the "enemy of the people" and "lying media" (Hitler called it “Lügenpresse,” which means “lying press"). Such a negative view of the media is obviously going to reinforce the pathology of unstable people like the newspaper shooter.
    Trump isn't exactly the first person to have an outspoken negative view of the mainstream media. Pundits like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity have been doing it for decades. May as well blame them for the shooting, too.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
    He has been calling them "the enemy of the American people" though.
    So?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    I think POTUS is due to visit the UK in July. If lucky, he may see the ‘baby Trump blimp’.
    00000000000000ars1c.jpg

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    I think POTUS is due to visit the UK in July. If lucky, he may see the ‘baby Trump blimp’.
    Have you considered seeking psychiatric help?

Leave a comment: