Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Prison Reform - and "good time"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prison Reform - and "good time"

A local sheriff has gained notoriety (locally) for being "tough on crime" by absolutely refusing "good time" to any prisoner apart from a medical emergency.

"Good time" is generally understood to be "2 for 1" - if you have a sentence of 90 days, and you behave yourself in jail, you can accrue "good time", and be eligible for release in 45 days. In Texas, the Sheriff, as custodian of the prisoner, has this authority - in Texas law, it is stated that the Sheriff MAY.... (not that he must, or cannot)

In the case of a jailer who punched a prisoner after being continually threatened with harm to his family (the prisoner was antagonizing the jailer), the jailer punched the prisoner in the head, while the prisoner was strapped in a transport chair. NO DEFENSE on my part of the jailer - there is absolutely no excuse for his conduct. I believe that he (a personal friend of mine), as a public official, should have been (and was) held to a higher standard.

So it's not THAT case that makes me reconsider "good time", but the Sheriff's own testimony. In a hearing this week, the jailer's attorney pointed out that there were three separate cases where prisoners were let out of jail early due to "good time", so the appeal was "equal treatment". The Sheriff was adamant that those releases were not authorized by him, and that jail supervisors (his employees) improperly released the these three other prisoners. (It almost seemed like a scene from "A Few Good Men", where the Colonel demands he's absolutely in charge, and only admits he authorized the 'code red' when badgered into it)

Anyway, I can only assume that the reason the Sheriff maintains this absolute "zero tolerance" on "good time" is because he will have to run for re-election, and wants to look "tough on crime".

I spend a lot of time in County and State Jails as a pastor/chaplain, and it's so clear to me that somebody who gets sent there for the VERY FIRST TIME will have every opportunity under the sun to become a more hardened criminal, join gangs, get involved with illegal activity, etc....

It just seems that "good time" could be a valuable carrot to first time non-violent offenders to mind their P's and Q's, knowing they could get 'mercy' if they behave, and get out early.

Comments?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

If someone doesn't have a history of criminal activity then I see no problem with allowing them to get out early on good behavior. On others, it would need a case by case basis. I'm pretty sure there are some that would be just fine with acting nice until they got out, and then going back to being a criminal, so they would need to be accounted for.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      If someone doesn't have a history of criminal activity then I see no problem with allowing them to get out early on good behavior. On others, it would need a case by case basis. I'm pretty sure there are some that would be just fine with acting nice until they got out, and then going back to being a criminal, so they would need to be accounted for.
      Some of the models for "good time" that I have studied provide that
      A) "good time" is only available for the non-violent first time offender
      2) having gotten out on "good time", if another jail sentence is required, you pick up the remainder of your previous sentence.

I think that's fair.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        2) having gotten out on "good time", if another jail sentence is required, you pick up the remainder of your previous sentence.

I think that's fair.

Comment

I also think a provision for "good time" should mean following rules, not acting like a jerk, making threats committing crimes while in jail you know being on actual good behavior.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think that's fair.
            Yeah sounds fair, and maybe something like you earn good time by behaving but if you misbehave you lose half of your accrued good time.

I think it encourages prisoners to behave, and teaches them that they get rewarded for obeying "the law" and punished for not. It is a valuable lesson for when they do get released.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Yeah sounds fair, and maybe something like you earn good time by behaving but if you misbehave you lose half of your accrued good time.

I think it encourages prisoners to behave, and teaches them that they get rewarded for obeying "the law" and punished for not. It is a valuable lesson for when they do get released.
              If I were running the jail, I'd give each prisoner a choice on arrival....

A) We have one section for people who just want to do their time, mind their own business, not get involved with gangs, and be as cooperative as possible, maybe work on their GED....
              2) We have the "general population" section where, despite our best efforts, pretty much 'anything goes'.

You have a choice!

At the first sign of trouble, or bad attitude, they'd get ONE warning - then into general population.

Comment