Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Commuted Alice Johnson’s Life Sentence....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Commuted Alice Johnson’s Life Sentence....

Good? Bad?

President Trump has signed a commutation for Alice Johnson, currently serving a life sentence for a nonviolent drug offense, according to a source with direct knowledge. CNN reported earlier today that the White House had prepped the paperwork for a pardon for Johnson while The Washington Post reported last night that he had been considering doing so.

The details: Johnson's cause was championed last week at the White House by Kim Kardashian West. White House senior adviser Jared Kushner, who pushed for Johnson's pardon, had been in contact with Kardashian West over the past several months on the issue. Per a source familiar, White House counsel Don McGahn is skeptical of the merits of pardoning Johnson.

https://www.axios.com/trump-pardon-a...118aa814c.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Sounds like a good thing- why did she get a life sentence in the first place? Seems rather harsh...

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      Sounds like a good thing- why did she get a life sentence in the first place? Seems rather harsh...
      She was trafficking some serious weight (cocaine) working with the drug cartels...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I can't seem to find many details on this - presumably there was a conspiracy component to acquire cocaine, along with money laundering, so it's not just a case of smoking a joint, or having some for personal use.

I'd be interested in finding the actual facts of the case.

This suggests she was in drug trafficking, and this was her first offense (eight counts).

The 63-year-old great-grandmother was given a life sentence in prison for a nonviolent drug-related crime and was not eligible for parole.

Johnson was convicted in 1996 on eight criminal counts stemming from a Memphis-based cocaine trafficking operation involving more than a dozen people. She was sentenced to life in prison in 1997. Today, she's spent more than two decades behind bars.

As one of Johnson's lawyers, Brittany Barnett, told The Daily Mail, "The message to the president is that Alice Johnson, the 21 years she has been in prison, represents a punishment that more than pays her debt to society and that to keep her prison the rest of her life is morally and economically unjustifiable."
        I am honored to accompany @KimKardashian to The White House today to advocate on behalf of Alice Marie Johnson. Kim has spent her time, money & energy for this incredibly worthy cause. Please give credit where credit is due.
        — Shawn Holley (@theshawnholley) May 30, 2018

Johnson became "involved in drug trafficking" during a difficult period in her life.

Johnson became "involved in drug trafficking as a way to make ends meet following a particularly rough period in her life: She lost her job at FedEx, where she had worked for 10 years, due to a gambling addiction; she got divorced; and then her youngest son died in a motorcycle accident," Mic reports.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Wait! Did Trump know that she wasn't white?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            She was trafficking some serious weight (cocaine) working with the drug cartels...
            Is that a life sentence in the US for everyone who commits this particular crime? Or was she an unusual case? I wonder why her sentence is an issue- if it's the usual punishment (life) then surely everyone who fits her sentence should be pardoned? Or was she given life when others weren't? If the latter, then the obvious question is why.

Comment

Is that a life sentence in the US for everyone who commits this particular crime? Or was she an unusual case? I wonder why her sentence is an issue- if it's the usual punishment (life) then surely everyone who fits her sentence should be pardoned? Or was she given life when others weren't? If the latter, then the obvious question is why.
              not an ordinary sentence. Must have been a really bad crime that she was a part of and got swept up in. I haven't seen the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                not an ordinary sentence. Must have been a really bad crime that she was a part of and got swept up in. I haven't seen the details.
                Some times such harsh sentences are meant to be a message for others. Still, from what little I've read about the case it appears 21 years is enough.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Some times such harsh sentences are meant to be a message for others.
                  True, but I hate that. Justice is not about making examples - it's about.... justice, and leaves out mercy.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's not right that these drug offenders often get heavier sentences than sex traffickers.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      It's not right that these drug offenders often get heavier sentences than sex traffickers.
                      IIRC back in the time when mandatory minimum sentences were all the rage for dealing with the drug problem several prisons were forced to release violent criminals in order to make room for non-violent drug offenders.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        agree...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          agree...
                          (Though that's also partly because I'm open to the death penalty for sex trafficking)
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I heard that she became an ordained minister while in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              I heard that she became an ordained minister while in prison.
                              ULC, or something that actually required study and acceptance of doctrine?
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment