Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Climate Change Has Run Its Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climate Change Has Run Its Course

Climate Change Has Run Its Course

Its descent into social-justice identity politics is the last gasp of a cause that has lost its vitality.

Climate change is over. No, I’m not saying the climate will not change in the future, or that human influence on the climate is negligible. I mean simply that climate change is no longer a pre-eminent policy issue. All that remains is boilerplate rhetoric from the political class, frivolous nuisance lawsuits, and bureaucratic mandates on behalf of special-interest renewable-energy rent seekers.

Judged by deeds rather than words, most national governments are backing away from forced-marched decarbonization. You can date the arc of climate change as a policy priority from 1988, when highly publicized congressional hearings first elevated the issue, to 2018. President Trump’s ostentatious withdrawal from the Paris Agreement merely ratified a trend long becoming evident.

A good indicator of why climate change as an issue is over can be found early in the text of the Paris Agreement. The “nonbinding” pact declares that climate action must include concern for “gender equality, empowerment of women, and intergenerational equity” as well as “the importance for some of the concept of ‘climate justice.’ ” Another is Sarah Myhre’s address at the most recent meeting of the American Geophysical Union, in which she proclaimed that climate change cannot fully be addressed without also grappling with the misogyny and social injustice that have perpetuated the problem for decades.

The descent of climate change into the abyss of social-justice identity politics represents the last gasp of a cause that has lost its vitality. Climate alarm is like a car alarm—a blaring noise people are tuning out.

This outcome was predictable. Political scientist Anthony Downs described the downward trajectory of many political movements in an article for the Public Interest, “Up and Down With Ecology: The ‘Issue-Attention Cycle,’ ” published in 1972, long before the climate-change campaign began. Observing the movements that had arisen to address issues like crime, poverty and even the U.S.-Soviet space race, Mr. Downs discerned a five-stage cycle through which political issues pass regularly.

The first stage involves groups of experts and activists calling attention to a public problem, which leads quickly to the second stage, wherein the alarmed media and political class discover the issue. The second stage typically includes a large amount of euphoric enthusiasm—you might call it the “dopamine” stage—as activists conceive the issue in terms of global peril and salvation. This tendency explains the fanaticism with which divinity-school dropouts Al Gore and Jerry Brown have warned of climate change.

Then comes the third stage: the hinge. As Mr. Downs explains, there soon comes “a gradually spreading realization that the cost of ‘solving’ the problem is very high indeed.” That’s where we’ve been since the United Nations’ traveling climate circus committed itself to the fanatical mission of massive near-term reductions in fossil fuel consumption, codified in unrealistic proposals like the Kyoto Protocol. This third stage, Mr. Downs continues, “becomes almost imperceptibly transformed into the fourth stage: a gradual decline in the intensity of public interest in the problem.”

While opinion surveys find that roughly half of Americans regard climate change as a problem, the issue has never achieved high salience among the public, despite the drumbeat of alarm from the climate campaign. Americans have consistently ranked climate change the 19th or 20th of 20 leading issues on the annual Pew Research Center poll, while Gallup’s yearly survey of environmental issues typically ranks climate change far behind air and water pollution.

“In the final stage,” Mr. Downs concludes, “an issue that has been replaced at the center of public concern moves into a prolonged limbo—a twilight realm of lesser attention or spasmodic recurrences of interest.” Mr. Downs predicted correctly that environmental issues would suffer this decline, because solving such issues involves painful trade-offs that committed climate activists would rather not make.

NOTE: This thread is NOT ABOUT DEBATING CLIMATE CHANGE - it is limited to how the whole notion of Climate Change has been promoted, or, as this article suggests, mismanaged.

DO NOT DEBATE CLIMATE CHANGE in this thread - only the manner in which it is promoted / perceived / gaining acceptance, or whatever.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Breitbart's Dilingpole is of the same opinion (yeah, big shock, right? ):

Source: Breitbart

A year on from his bold decision to quit the UN Paris Accord, President Trump has been praised for having “broken the spell of climate change mania.”

[...]

Trump has performed the same service as the little boy who pointed out that the Emperor was wearing no clothes. Man-made global warming is the biggest lie of our age and the only reason it survived so long is that all the world’s nations politely agreed to pretend, for various reasons ranging from self-interest to moral posturing, that it was true.

With the U.S. no longer playing that game it’s much, much harder for everyone else to go on pretending there’s a consensus.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-change-mania/

© Copyright Original Source

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

A good indicator of why climate change as an issue is over can be found early in the text of the Paris Agreement. The “nonbinding” pact declares that climate action must include concern for “gender equality, empowerment of women, and intergenerational equity” as well as “the importance for some of the concept of ‘climate justice.’ ” Another is Sarah Myhre’s address at the most recent meeting of the American Geophysical Union, in which she proclaimed that climate change cannot fully be addressed without also grappling with the misogyny and social injustice that have perpetuated the problem for decades.

The descent of climate change into the abyss of social-justice identity politics represents the last gasp of a cause that has lost its vitality. Climate alarm is like a car alarm—a blaring noise people are tuning out.
      This is exactly why conservatives resisted climate change, even when this kind of social-justice identity politics were not articulated, we knew the people involved. That they were political animals, foisting a political agenda...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And this is why I never really wanted to get into a debate of whether climate change is "real" or not - just that it's being promoted in such a boneheaded way that it makes people want to tune it out, and it always seemed to have that "ulterior motive" factor.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          And this is why I never really wanted to get into a debate of whether climate change is "real" or not - just that it's being promoted in such a boneheaded way that it makes people want to tune it out, and it always seemed to have that "ulterior motive" factor.
          This just proves you're a climate change denier.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            This just proves you're a climate change denier.
            Yeah, I know. And a Trump supporter, to boot!

Comment

I do think it's a shame climate change advocates haven't done more advocacy for nuclear power. Even if you don't believe in significant anthropogenic global warming, you've got to admit that nuclear power doesn't produce the same levels of air and water pollution that coal or oil does.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Breitbart's Dilingpole is of the same opinion (yeah, big shock, right? ):

Source: Breitbart

A year on from his bold decision to quit the UN Paris Accord, President Trump has been praised for having “broken the spell of climate change mania.”

[...]

Trump has performed the same service as the little boy who pointed out that the Emperor was wearing no clothes. Man-made global warming is the biggest lie of our age and the only reason it survived so long is that all the world’s nations politely agreed to pretend, for various reasons ranging from self-interest to moral posturing, that it was true.

With the U.S. no longer playing that game it’s much, much harder for everyone else to go on pretending there’s a consensus.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-change-mania/

© Copyright Original Source

That seems awfully close to debating climate change.

I mean if you think climate change is a big problem caused by the burning of fossil fuels, you'll want to do whatever you can to stop it. But yeah I don't think it necessarily needs be as tied into social justice. If that's what's causing the hangup among conservatives, I think the movement is going about things the wrong way.
              Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                I mean if you think climate change is a big problem caused by the burning of fossil fuels, you'll want to do whatever you can to stop it.
                Which is why I have repeatedly said, as a farmer/rancher, I think I'm WAY better at being a good steward of the earth than a lot (I would hazard to guess all) of the climate alarmists. There's that idiotic charge that "conservatives WANT dirty air and dirty water.....". I think it's that kind of nuttery that makes climate change such a difficult sell.

But yeah I don't think it necessarily needs be as tied into social justice. If that's what's causing the hangup among conservatives, I think the movement is going about things the wrong way.

Comment

The impression I have in the UK is that the debate is over and there is a rapidly growing low carbon economy that will transform everything we do. Business is getting ahead of the political debate. The US is out of phase for some reason.
                  Sustainability is now a mainstream business concern, and leading companies the world over recognise the opportunity – and the imperative – of being part of the solution.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

These are the turbines, 11 in total, which Trump complained about to the UK Supreme Court. He lost. The blades are 80m long.

https://www.windpoweroffshore.com/ar...bine-installed
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

but, but, Al Gore!

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        These are the turbines, 11 in total, which Trump complained about to the UK Supreme Court. He lost. The blades are 80m long.

https://www.windpoweroffshore.com/ar...bine-installed
                        An 8 MW turbine, good golly.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Which is why I have repeatedly said, as a farmer/rancher, I think I'm WAY better at being a good steward of the earth than a lot (I would hazard to guess all) of the climate alarmists. There's that idiotic charge that "conservatives WANT dirty air and dirty water.....". I think it's that kind of nuttery that makes climate change such a difficult sell.
                          I want dirty water and dirty air - the more the better! No baths either!

Comment

There are a substantial number of people who see this as a legitimate concern but got turned off by the constant exaggerated sometime hysterical hype[1] and saw it being hijacked by some folks as a tool to push and agenda that has nothing whatsoever to do with climate.

1. There's a lesson there for those suffering from TDS if they could only learn it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              No baths either!
                              We have noticed!
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment