Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The strange case of Arkady Babchenko.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The strange case of Arkady Babchenko.

His murder was reported yesterday – Putin blamed – and he appeared at a press conference today! It turns out to be great Fake News fodder for Russian propagandists.

Babchenko's wife said on Tuesday that she had found her husband at the entrance to their apartment block with bullet wounds in his back, and he was reported to have died in an ambulance on the way to hospital.
    Arkady Babchenko sent shock waves around the world when he arrived at a news conference on Wednesday, less than 24 hours after he was reported dead.
    The head of Ukraine's security services, Vasyl Hrytsak, said the elaborate sting was set up to catch hitmen paid by Russian forces.
    Police said they had made one arrest.
    - BBC News
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Interesting!
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Obviously Putin killed him and his wife and replaced them with duplicates. duh.

Comment

Mixed reactions ...

Ukraine’s embassy in London .. said “unorthodox approaches” were needed to counter Russia’s ongoing “hybrid war” in Ukraine, which has resulted in the annexation of Crimea and a covert Kremlin takeover in the east of the country. “As a result of the skilfully conducted covert operation, the journalist’s life was saved, the perpetrator of the assassination attempt detained, and its organisers discovered,” the embassy said.

The reaction from media groups and reporters has been largely negative. The stunt, they argued, would allow Russia and other unscrupulous governments to dismiss real events as fake. The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) called Babchenko’s hoax murder “intolerable”. “By falsely spreading the news ... the Ukrainian authorities have gravely harmed the credibility of information,” complained the IFJ president, Philippe Leruth. In a long, sympathetic piece, Babchenko’s former newspaper Novaya Gazeta said it was pleased to see him back. It paid tribute to his “hilarious and uncompromising nature” and said: “It would be much better if we just lived and worked boringly, and eastern Europe wasn’t turned into a field for operational games.”
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment