Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kennedy retirement rumors shift into overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennedy retirement rumors shift into overdrive

Kennedy retirement rumors shift into overdrive

This could be interesting.

Like clockwork, Washington has whipped itself into a frenzy over rumors of a possible retirement on the Supreme Court.

All eyes are on Justice Anthony Kennedy, 81, who reportedly considered calling it quits last spring. As the court’s current term winds to a close, speculation about his plans has again swept the capital, with court watchers searching for clues.

Those who say Kennedy is here to stay — at least for now — point to the fact that he’s already hired his law clerks for the next term, as Above the Law reported.

“I don’t think he would have hired all four clerks for next year if he was seriously entertaining stepping down,” said Carl Tobias, a professor at the University of Richmond School of Law. “I just don’t think it’s going to happen.”

But Ian Samuel, a Climenko fellow and lecturer on law at Harvard Law School, who clerked for the late Justice Antonin Scalia, said the small number of cases the court has granted could signal Kennedy is throwing in the towel. The court has only agreed to hear 15 cases so far next term.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Haven't rumors of a possible retirement for Kennedy been going on for years at this point? I'm not really sure why the rumors happening this year is anything notable.

Comment

Kennedy is the reason why we may lose the Baker/Wedding cake case. We need a more consistent conservative.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
        Haven't rumors of a possible retirement for Kennedy been going on for years at this point?
        Yes, as the article suggests.

I'm not really sure why the rumors happening this year is anything notable.
        Because the consequence is greater.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Because the consequence is greater.
          In what way?

Comment

In what way?
            It's not obvious? Trump would get to nominate anther SCOTUS Justice.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              It's not obvious? Trump would get to nominate anther SCOTUS Justice.
              It's obvious that it would mean the current president could nominate another supreme court justice. But that was exactly as true when Obama was president. The consequence doesn't seem any greater; perhaps who likes the consequences are different, but consequence is ultimately the same.

Comment

It's obvious that it would mean the current president could nominate another supreme court justice. But that was exactly as true when Obama was president. The consequence doesn't seem any greater; perhaps who likes the consequences are different, but consequence is ultimately the same.
                Look, I'm not here to argue, I just thought it was an interesting article. It's complicated by the fact that the midterms might flip the house or the senate or both, so there could possibly be a brief window where Trump would have an opportunity, but the Dems would do everything possible to delay it pending the outcome of the midterms. If the Blue Wave doesn't materialize, it's no big deal. And it's looking less probably that a Blue Wave will happen.

Comment

Kennedy never got to retire. He didn't even finish his first term as president. This is FAKE NEWS.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    Kennedy never got to retire. He didn't even finish his first term as president. This is FAKE NEWS.
                    OK, it took me a minute.....

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Maybe he meant the one who had trouble driving over a bridge

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment