Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Boy Scouts now open to girls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm leery of pressing analogies too far. After all, most modern Christians would not want to argue for slavery based on the fact that there are several analogies in the New Testament using slavery to illustrate various things. I'd just as soon stick to the NT passages that explicitly discuss the role of women in the church.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Really piggy?
      You know perfectly well what rogue0666 and rogue07-1 like to do in their spare time.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Only within certain denominations.

ETA - well, lookie here....

A Roman Catholic church ordained a 70-year-old woman a priest in Louisville, Kentucky.

About 150 women from all over the world have been ordained by the Roman Catholic Church even though the church bans them from becoming priests.
        I can't tell; are you posting this as a joke or as real? The source is Weekly World News, which publishes deliberately crazy fake stories (like The Onion).

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Does this at all relate to why the RCC ended up excluding married men, out of curiosity?
          Discussions about married priests go back as far as the 4th and 5th century, if I recall. The requirement for celibacy, however, was formally established at the Second Lateran Council (1139) with a rule forbidding priests to marry. It was affirmed at the Council of Trent (1563). If I recall my church history studies, one of the major reasons for the ban was money. You see, during the dark ages, the catholic clergy was not just the spiritual authority, it was also the secular authority. The bishops were princes and the church was the power and wealth center of the community. Unfortunately, married clergy had children, and those children did not always stay in the church. Laws of inheritance would result in substantial amounts of money being taken out of the church. The requirement for celibacy solved that problem. Illegitimate children could not inherit. Without a right to marry, any child fathered (pun intended) by a priest of bishop would not be able to inherit.
          Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-24-2018, 06:13 AM.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            I can't tell; are you posting this as a joke or as real? The source is Weekly World News, which publishes deliberately crazy fake stories (like The Onion).
            https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...93Q0EE20130428
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Either it's true or not - you have reason to believe it's NOT true?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm leery of pressing analogies too far. After all, most modern Christians would not want to argue for slavery based on the fact that there are several analogies in the New Testament using slavery to illustrate various things. I'd just as soon stick to the NT passages that explicitly discuss the role of women in the church.
                I'm leery of comparing NT patriarchy to chattel slavery, which is the only type many modern Christians are familiar with.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I'm leery of comparing NT patriarchy to chattel slavery, which is the only type many modern Christians are familiar with.
                  The analogies I had in mind aren't dealing with patriarchy in the first place.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Hrm, looks like they based it on a true story in this case, albeit with clear exaggerations in some areas. Though as noted, the practice is not allowed in the Catholic Church (well, the Roman Rite anyway, I believe Eastern Catholicism follows a rule more similar to the Orthodox in which it is allowed with some limitations) and groups claiming to be Catholic that perform it generally are groups that have seceded from the church proper.

Comment

The analogies I had in mind aren't dealing with patriarchy in the first place.
                      I have no idea what your comment was directed toward, then.

sigpic

Comment

Hrm, looks like they based it on a true story in this case, albeit with clear exaggerations in some areas. Though as noted, the practice is not allowed in the Catholic Church (well, the Roman Rite anyway, I believe Eastern Catholicism follows a rule more similar to the Orthodox in which it is allowed with some limitations) and groups claiming to be Catholic that perform it generally are groups that have seceded from the church proper.
                        Eastern Rite Catholics have married priests like the Orthodox; neither group ordains women. Rome has periodically attempted to prohibit married priests in Eastern Rite Catholicism; it's why my diocese is now Orthodox.

sigpic

Comment

I have no idea what your comment was directed toward, then.
                          I mean that passages like John 8:35, Romans 1:1, and Matthew 6:24 mention slavery in analogical and morally neutral contexts. It was a digression from the thread in any event.

Comment

Eastern Rite Catholics have married priests like the Orthodox; neither group ordains women. Rome has periodically attempted to prohibit married priests in Eastern Rite Catholicism; it's why my diocese is now Orthodox.
                            Oops, I apparently switched subjects midway through the sentence and stopped talking about ordination of women and changed to priests marrying. I think that happened because the topic of clerical celibacy was originally part of my message (I was going to give a reply on that topic as well but changed my mind), but then after deciding not to, I was still thinking about it and somehow changed the topic mid-sentence without noticing.

Comment