Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is the US government good for our health?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, what a bang-up job you're doing, FDA! Prescription drugs are now the #4 cause of death in the USA! Atta boy, FDA, keep it up!

If the FDA or some other government agency were going to change the labels on food or drug containers, one would think they would require "GMO" warnings. Incompetence? Or, as I think, a favor to Big GMO biz. Also, Jenny Thompson of HSI thinks the proposed label changes are misdirection, like a magician's patter.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Tesla Motors Company of course is not a drug, medicine, or food business. However, all those businesses have the same problem, called "regulatory capture." I now let the chairman and CEO of Tesla Motors explain that.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/people-new-jersey

Of course every government should have the same role vis-a-vis every citizen (excepting evildoers); it should not give anyone any special privilege that it creates and enforces. Is that democracy? Should it not include the attribute of equality (no one gets any special privilege or treatment from the government).
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Tesla Motors Company of course is not a drug, medicine, or food business. However, all those businesses have the same problem, called "regulatory capture." I now let the chairman and CEO of Tesla Motors explain that.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/people-new-jersey

Of course every government should have the same role vis-a-vis every citizen (excepting evildoers); it should not give anyone any special privilege that it creates and enforces. Should democracy not include the attribute of equality, that is, no one gets any special privilege or particular treatment from the government).

Comment

Can we rely on the various federal agencies to base their work on good science and nothing but that?

http://openheart.bmj.com/content/1/1/e000032.full is an editorial that accuses a researcher who fifty years ago cherry picked data to "prove" that diets high in saturated fats were bad for hearts. Incredibly, mainstream doctors quickly recommended diets low in saturated fats. And that was the standard recommendation for half a century.

Fortunately cracks are starting to appear in the mainstream medical monolith.

Comment

Truthseeker, do you believe operating on a large and depersonalized scale is good for any organization's health?

Comment

This is a delightful surprise this Sunday morning
              http://news.yahoo.com/comics/wizard-of-id-slideshow/ (the comic strip Wizard of Id--if necessary look for the 2014 March 23 edition [Sunday edition])

But does it mean most people are now suspicious of our government's management of healthcare? If so, there would be little need for this thread. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                Truthseeker, do you believe operating on a large and depersonalized scale is good for any organization's health?
                Not sure what you have in mind. The concern of this thread is the health of anyone (person), not that of any group of 2 or more persons.

Comment

That Big Pharma drugs usually have lists of nasty side effects as long as your arm, is bad enough. But Big Pharma manufacturing may by itself sicken people or kill them outright. Mislabeled bottles, wrong dosages, mix-ups, contamination.

Sure, not exactly the FDA's fault. For one thing, it has no legal authority to force a recall. And how would it inform drug users about the recall anyway? Hmm . . . can the FDA really monitor the manufacturing anyway? I guess not.

The way things are now, it seems to me that the user must go to www.fda.gov/safety/recalls daily if you want the speediest way to get recall news. And there's yet another nasty side effect: Wasting your time.

Comment

You can't rely on the FDA to keep you safe from a new kind of "food additive," Sweetmyx. The company that makes it and the companies that plan to use it are not telling us what chemical or chemical compound that is. No safety trial has been conducted. Probably nobody knows anything about what nasty side effects Sweetmyx ingestion may have. Even the FDA was surprised by an implication issued in public that Sweetmyx was safe and the FDA denied it said Sweetmyx was safe.

It's up to us to spread the alarm about an untested food additive. Of course it may turn out to be no more harmful than aspartame. But I sure am not going to try out Pepsi drinks in the future. Or any soft drink I don't know anything about.

Comment

From what I understand, Pfizer wants its

blockbuster drug Liptor to be like candy--

easy for anyone to buy. None of this your

doctor monitors your condition while you take

Liptor periodically. Just pop pills into your

mouth.

The latest scheme to achieve this sort of

Nirvana involves a new app for your iPad,

according to Jenny Thompson of HSI. You

answer 7 questions and bingo you get a 10-

year estimate of heart attack risk. That way

Pfizer bypasses this pesky doctor monitoring.

If you're lucky--being sarcastic here--you

get some Liptor, OTC! Take one pill a day.
                      ______
                      http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...136742414.html
                      (Lipitor: Pfizer aims to sell over-the-counter version" Peter Loftus, March 2, 2014, The Wall Street Journal, wsj.com)

Comment

Blood pressure meds such as ACE inhibitors,

diuretics and beta blockers are supposed to

prevent heart attacks and strokes.

Unfortunately, whether the meds do a good job

or not, the nasty side effects surely

counterbalance or outweigh those benefits.

Seniors on the meds are falling all over the

place. Injury or death results. Weak, dizzy,

unsteady. The floor seems to slide under you.

Dr Mark Stengler, who warned about the risk

of falls, recommends ways to handle that

and suggests alternatives to the meds.

I think Invokana, the med for type 2 diabetes, is the most obvious example to date of the FDA's lack of concern for the health of the public and the FDA's $$$ greed. Invokana did not demonstrate much benefit, if any, in clinical trials. Evidence of serious harm or death did appear, including low blood pressure, dizziness and falls, and damage to the kidneys and heart.

Yet the FDA approved Invokana. Post-approval reports of nasty side effects do not have to be submitted until 2023.

"The new diabetes drug canagliflozin (INVOKANA)" Worst pills best pills newsletter' February' 2014' worstpills.org

Letter to Janssen Research & Development from the FDA' NDA 204042' March 29' 2013' accessdata.fda.gov

[Thanks to Mark Stengler and Jenny Thompson (HSI)]

Comment

If people are falling over from their blood pressure medication making their blood pressure too low, then it means their doctor is not prescribing the right dose. And there are lot's of blood pressure medications out there. If someone has a bad reaction to one, their doctor can prescribe others. No one medication will be 100% effective for all patients. Everyone is different and react differently to various drugs, whether prescribed or homeopathic. That is what doctors are for, to help guide the patient to the correct medication.

Yet instead, you and those quacks just take some anecdotal stories and build another conspiracy around it.

Comment

Why should I bother to answer your posts anymore? But, one more time. I was discussing CLINICAL trials of a new, not-yet-marketed med.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              If people are falling over from their blood pressure medication making their blood pressure too low, then it means their doctor is not prescribing the right dose. And there are lot's of blood pressure medications out there. If someone has a bad reaction to one, their doctor can prescribe others. No one medication will be 100% effective for all patients. Everyone is different and react differently to various drugs, whether prescribed or homeopathic. That is what doctors are for, to help guide the patient to the correct medication.

Yet instead, you and those quacks just take some anecdotal stories and build another conspiracy around it.
                              I blundered! I forgot my last post was in two parts. Probably Sparko's post concerned the first part. Let me think of a reply.

Comment

Michael S. Rozeff made an interesting assertion that is quite relevant here:
                                Source: Michael S. Rozeff 2014 April 2

Safety is the official reason for most U.S. government activities. . . . In all cases the consequence of government's attempts to provide safety is less safety.

© Copyright Original Source

If anyone challenges that, I'm going to try to make the case for it. The challenge should include at least one case in which the challenger thinks the government did improve safety.
                                Last edited by Truthseeker; 04-02-2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment