Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Voter Suppression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voter Suppression?

Why is asking for a legitimate picture ID to vote considered voter suppression? I mean you need a picture ID to do so many other things in our nation that are not nearly as important.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...orth-carolina/

State elections officials in North Carolina are investigating hundreds of cases of potential voter fraud after identifying thousands of registered voters with personal information matching those of voters who voted in other states in 2012.

Elections Director Kim Strach told state lawmakers at an oversight hearing Wednesday that her staff has identified 765 registered North Carolina voters who appear to have cast ballots in two states during the 2012 presidential election.
    Last edited by seer; 04-15-2014, 02:03 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Why is asking for a legitimate picture ID to vote considered voter suppression?
    You would almost have to assume that the folks you're "suppressing" are trying to cheat, or something.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      You would almost have to assume that the folks you're "suppressing" are trying to cheat, or something.
      Nah....
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Here in Georgia we make it incredibly easy to get a picture ID. There is no charge and they'll even send someone to your house to take the photo if you have some problem getting a ride, are sick, can't take all the kids... or whatever reason you can come up with.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Here in Georgia we make it incredibly easy to get a picture ID. There is no charge and they'll even send someone to your house to take the photo if you have some problem getting a ride, are sick, can't take all the kids... or whatever reason you can come up with.
          Yeah!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Why is asking for a legitimate picture ID to vote considered voter suppression? I mean you need a picture ID to do so many other things in our nation that are not nearly as important.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...orth-carolina/
            ID's, and for people without means they are doing their all to make it extremely difficult to get these ID's, are only one of the tactics being used to suppress the vote seer. Are you not aware of that?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              ID's, and for people without means they are doing their all to make it extremely difficult to get these ID's, are only one of the tactics being used to suppress the vote seer. Are you not aware of that?
              As Rogue already pointed out, Georgia makes it FREE, and somebody will even come to your HOUSE. How difficult is THAT?

Ooooops.. I forgot... it was Jimmy who asked.

Comment

Apparently Andrew Young, an icon of the Civil Rights movement (he was with Martin Luther King Jr. when he was assassinated) and Jimmy Carter's U.N. Ambassador, has come out in favor of photo IDs to discourage voter fraud.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Have you ever got an ID Jimmy? I've had one since I was 16 because my parents thought it was a good idea for me to have one.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Can you show ANYBODY who wants people to have IDs to vote, but wants to make it prohibitive*, Jim? ANYBODY?

*expensive, difficult, inaccessible, time consuming, unreasonable, etc...

Comment

OK, I'm going to treat this as a serious question. After all, why NOT have a picture ID to vote? Isn't that one more indication that you are a qualified voter?

1) First, it makes sense to wonder why EVERY state requiring such ID is goverened by a Republican majority. Could it be that only Republicans care about good ID?

2) Second, it makes sense to wonder who might not have suitable ID. It doesn't take much research to learn that the overwelming majority of those lacking such ID (minorities and students) tend to vote for Democrats. Could it be possible that Republicans are trying to place hurdles in front of Democratic voters?

3) One might note that a Pennsylvania state senator crowed that their voter ID law "delivered the state for Romney". The implication is that placing hurdles in front of potential Democratic voters benefits the Republicans, and THAT is why ONLY Republican states passed voter ID laws.

4) It's also interesting to note that cases of voter impersonation (the only kind of fraud these laws would prevent) are rare as hen's teeth. In court, the State of Pennsylvania was unable to produce a SINGLE CASE of such fraud.

5) Not one single case of potential voter fraud has been verified in North Carolina. Previous investigations along these lines have also come up empty. These 765 voters have the same first and last names and last 4 digits of their social security numbers the same as someone in some other state. How many people have the same last 4 digits? Many tens of thousands. How many of those tens of thousands have the same first and last names? By golly, it's about 800. What an AMAZING coincidence!

Now, requiring a picture ID to vote isn't at all unreasonable, and nearly all citizens have such an ID (though picture ID's from universitites on student ID cards carefully doesn't count in Republican states. They might be forgeries, don't you know?) Given enough time, and making the photo IDs "free" (except for the cost of taking time off from work and the cost of transportation to get the ID), presents few physical hurdles, and Republicans know this. They ALSO know that most of the target population (poor minorities and students) will consider ANY hurdle to be "not worth the bother".

What the Republicans failed to factor in was that very very few of these people ever voted anyway, and most of them had never bothered to register. So they were repressing non-votes anyway. If anything, Republican efforts to suppress votes backfired, and motivate a few people to actually get up, get registered, and vote.

And of course, Republicans pointed to this and claimed that they didn't suppress anything. In fact, they didn't, so this is true. They TRIED to, they INTENDED to, they THOUGHT they did, but who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
                        OK, I'm going to treat this as a serious question. After all, why NOT have a picture ID to vote? Isn't that one more indication that you are a qualified voter?

1) First, it makes sense to wonder why EVERY state requiring such ID is goverened by a Republican majority. Could it be that only Republicans care about good ID?
                        Or MAYBE because more DEAD DEMOCRATS vote than do Republican dead people, and the Democrats are COOL with that!

Comment

Now, requiring a picture ID to vote isn't at all unreasonable,
                          Amen!

and nearly all citizens have such an ID (though picture ID's from universitites on student ID cards carefully doesn't count in Republican states.
                          Try getting on an airplane with a student ID in a DEMOCRAT state. It's not a "government issued ID".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Or MAYBE because more DEAD DEMOCRATS vote than do Republican dead people, and the Democrats are COOL with that!
                            No, because the voter ID laws would do absolutely nothing about the "dead voter" fraud. Those are NOT impersonation cases. Those are inside jobs. Dead voters don't show up without pictorial ID,but with perfectly valid alternative ID. They dont' register with fake ID either.

Comment

No, because the voter ID laws would do absolutely nothing about the "dead voter" fraud. Those are NOT impersonation cases. Those are inside jobs. Dead voters don't show up without pictorial ID,but with perfectly valid alternative ID. They dont' register with fake ID either.
                              Yeah, I was being facetious -- treating your post with the gravity it deserved.

Comment