Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Voter Suppression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Here is a quote from Paul Weyrich, a right wing strategist in the 1980's:

"I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of the people.
    They never have been from the beginning of our country, and they are not now.
    As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the
    voting populace goes down".
    Soundbites are not evidence Jimmy and considering that it is possible to win a presidential election, without winning the popular vote, should tell you something. The founding fathers were not all that trusting of the general population either and there's plenty of evidence to back that up.

This is something that Republican strategists know and have known for some time now and so the only way forward for them is to try and win by unethical means with unethical groups like A.L.E.C. leading the way for them.
    You mean liberal groups haven't been caught doing unethical things to try to win elections? I hate to burst your bubble Jimmy, but liberals have been caught attempting to cause fraud too. Of course, it is highly unlikely that either side was successfully enough to fraud a national election just because it is very rare for a small amount of numbers to affect who wins president.

It isn't only the ID requirement,
    You do know that Hawaii has a voter ID requirement and has had one, in effect, since the late 70's right? Don't take my word for it though, here is what Hawaii's own web site says:

"Be sure to have your picture ID with a signature on it for verification of your identity. You will be asked to sign a poll book to record that you voted at that polling place. Your Voter Registration Notice is NOT an acceptable form of identification."
    http://hawaii.gov/elections/voters/votehi.htm

Wow... how embarrassing...

they also have reduced early voting,
    You mean like how some Democrats have attempted to change up dates for military ballets to get counted because military members tend to vote more republican than democrats? Sorry Jimmy, but republicans are not the only people who attempt to change up rules to get votes against them, thrown out.

which btw is the only time that many poor working people can get to the polls.
    You are aware that most companies have to give you time off, by state laws, to go and vote, right?

They've disenfranchised ex-felons,
    Which many states do too.

they've purged voter rolls,
    So have democrats Jimmy and as I recall, wasn't it a republican who called out the republican party on this back during the 2008 election?

They've made it illegal for students to vote where they live, i.e. where they go to college,
    I've lived where I've lived for 10 years and I don't vote here because I'm not a resident of the state; I'm still a resident of my home state. My situation is a little bit different due to my military status, but most states have laws that you have to have an address in the state and have lived there for a set amount of time before you're allowed to vote in the local election. This isn't something that the evil republicans invented Jimmy, it is something that has been on the books for decades. Besides, they could always do what I've done. Submit ballets to the area they are able to vote in or they could do what others do, change their residency to the area they live at and wait the amount of time before they can register to vote in the area they live.

they've imposed unequal voting day resources in democratic districts making voters stand in line for hours on end.
    I've noticed that people have tendencies to wait till the last minute to go and vote when they could have done it earlier. There is no excuse for, "I need to get off work!" since most states have laws that says your employer has to give you time to go and vote and they can not dock your pay for it either.

But you people aren't stupid, I know that you aready know whats going on, but you don't care, because all you want is to win also.
    Or you're a conspiracy nut that doesn't realize that democrats try tricks to win too, including some of the tricks you've listed above. Democrats were caught with their hands in the cookie jar too. Somehow though, I'm thinking you ignore those because they tell you things you don't want to hear.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      That is just silly Jim. In every state I know of that requires voter ID makes it very easy to get said ID. If you know of an exception please post it.
      Not only that, but Hawaii has a voter ID law in effect too and has had this said law, since the late 70's. Hawaii, votes heavy democrat (about 70% of the vote went to Obama in 2012). Of course, Hawaii has no major effect on the election and isn't a republican nor swing state, so Jimmy and co will not complain about it because they truly don't care if their law suppresses voters in Hawaii or not. Only if it does it in states that can make a critical difference during an election.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Not only that, but Hawaii has a voter ID law in effect too and has had this said law, since the late 70's. Hawaii, votes heavy democrat (about 70% of the vote went to Obama in 2012). Of course, Hawaii has no major effect on the election and isn't a republican nor swing state, so Jimmy and co will not complain about it because they truly don't care if their law suppresses voters in Hawaii or not. Only if it does it in states that can make a critical difference during an election.
        Amen, and if I'm not mistaken just about every western European nation requires a voter picture ID - and we know that they are right wing radicals!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The voter ID concept is largely a conservative one so it has to be bad.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

FYI Brazil requires ID to vote and has had cases of voter fraud. To be really sure, the government should have a database of all of our fingerprints and eyes for biometric detection. Sure, it will be hard for rural folk and expensive to implement, but we'd be sure there's no fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              The voter ID concept is largely a conservative one so it has to be bad.
              Thats a good point Jed. But seriously the thing is, it is well documented that voter fraud is very rare, to rare for states to even concern themselves with, no less spend hundreds of millions of tax payor dollars to implement. That being the case, it should be obvious to anyone with an honest bone in their bodies who all of these voter suppression laws are targeting, ergo why they are being enacted.

Comment

Thats a good point Jed. But seriously the thing is, it is well documented that voter fraud is very rare, to rare for states to even concern themselves with, no less spend hundreds of millions of tax payor dollars to implement. That being the case, it should be obvious to anyone with an honest bone in their bodies who all of these voter suppression laws are targeting, ergo why they are being enacted.
                Then why is all the evidence to the contrary?
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Apparently Andrew Young, an icon of the Civil Rights movement (he was with Martin Luther King Jr. when he was assassinated) and Jimmy Carter's U.N. Ambassador, has come out in favor of photo IDs to discourage voter fraud.
                  Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Renowned Republican and Conservative stalwart Bill Clinton supports voter ID.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...56a_story.html
                  So much for it's only an attempt to suppress the vote among Democrats, especially minority voters.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's tax PAYER -- if you WERE one, you'd KNOW that!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Amen, and if I'm not mistaken just about every western European nation requires a voter picture ID - and we know that they are right wing radicals!
                      Pretty much. The US is about the only major western nation that doesn't require a photo ID in order to vote.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                        FYI Brazil requires ID to vote and has had cases of voter fraud. To be really sure, the government should have a database of all of our fingerprints and eyes for biometric detection. Sure, it will be hard for rural folk and expensive to implement, but we'd be sure there's no fraud.
                        You're never going to deal with all fraud, everywhere PM, so saying, "Oh yeah, it hasn't stopped all voter fraud" is no more an argument against the idea than pointing out that houses with locks get robbed too is evidence you shouldn't bother to put a lock on your house.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Hundreds of millions? Where are you getting that figure from Jimmy? Did you just make it up? Most of the population already has an ID card anyway, so where does this 'hundreds of millions' figure come from or did you just make it up?
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            You're never going to deal with all fraud, everywhere PM, so saying, "Oh yeah, it hasn't stopped all voter fraud" is no more an argument against the idea than pointing out that houses with locks get robbed too is evidence you shouldn't bother to put a lock on your house.
                            If we want to prevent voting fraud, we should get serious about prevention. You need an ID to drink and teens across America get fake IDs. If a teenager can beat the system, an organization taking orders from a politician sure can.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                              If we want to prevent voting fraud, we should get serious about prevention. You need an ID to drink and teens across America get fake IDs. If a teenager can beat the system, an organization taking orders from a politician sure can.
                              You ignored the flaw in your logic, didn't you?

1. People break into houses.
                              2. These houses have locks.
                              3. Therefore, you shouldn't bother to put a lock on your house.

Now, when are you going to start arguing for this logic or are you just going to admit already that you have a very bad argument?
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                                Then why is all the evidence to the contrary?
                                The evidence isn't to the contrary unless you get your evidence from conservative talking heads who want you to believe the evidence is to the contrary. Independent analysis confirms voter fraud to be extremely rare. But I have no problem with people having to have ID's to vote, my problem is with the road blocks states put in place to make it difficult and costly to obtain them. But ID's are not the only way that Republicans are attempting to suppress the vote, they just happen to be grouped in with all the other tactics they are doing. Funny how everyone seems to want to focus on the least controversial of these.

Comment