Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Yet Another Brietbart Misleading Headline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another Brietbart Misleading Headline

As I was poking around looking to see if Breitbart had anything on trade (didn't find much), I came across this gem. Oh Trump's rating is "soaring" alright - he made it up to -10 percentage points before heading back south. He's at -13.1 on RCP and -14 on 538.

Yet another "fair and balanced" headline.

(here kitty, kitty)
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Breitbart has consistently used Rasmussen numbers in these kinds of stories. This isn't misleading at all since the story text gives context to and supports the headline.

Of course you prefer the misleading spin of RCP and 538, but that's not Breitbart's problem.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Breitbart has consistently used Rasmussen numbers in these kinds of stories. This isn't misleading at all since the story text gives context to and supports the headline.

Of course you prefer the misleading spin of RCP and 538, but that's not Breitbart's problem.

Kitty! You came back!
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Kitty! You came back!
        And you've got t the claw marks across your smug little face to prove it.

Comment

And you've got t the claw marks across your smug little face to prove it.
          Oh yes... I am definitely feeling those claws...

Comment

Trumps approval rating does go up and down relying on his right wing conservative base to support the foundation, but remains low compared to previous presidents. The Breitbart assertion may depend on what point of the up and down trend one selects with some creative fudging of the figures.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-08-2018, 08:11 AM.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Denial can be such an ugly thing. The only thing misleading here is your thread title.

Comment

you need to include the catnip and a few little reds.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Does Breitbart actually claim to be "fair and balanced"? That phrase is trademarked by a different news source.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Denial can be such an ugly thing. The only thing misleading here is your thread title.
                    I certainly understand that denial can be ugly...

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Does Breitbart actually claim to be "fair and balanced"? That phrase is trademarked by a different news source.
                      Yeah - it's not theirs. But then again, Fox didn't exactly coin that phrase either.

Comment

Yeah - it's not theirs. But then again, Fox didn't exactly coin that phrase either.
                        But more broadly, do they purport to be unbiased in the first place?
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

As I was poking around looking to see if Breitbart had anything on trade (didn't find much), I came across this gem. Oh Trump's rating is "soaring" alright - he made it up to -10 percentage points before heading back south. He's at -13.1 on RCP and -14 on 538.

Yet another "fair and balanced" headline.

(here kitty, kitty)
                          They cite a poll that was one of the most accurate ones during the 2016 election to support their contention. You, OTOH, cite a couple polls that were not nearly as accurate that give different result in order to make the claim that Breitbart is misleading people.

Do you consider that honest?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            But more broadly, do they purport to be unbiased in the first place?
                            "Unbiased" in the sense that they always try to accurately present the facts, but their related commentary and editorials are unashamedly conservative. They're not like your typical mainstream liberal source which tries to pretend that its sharply biased "analysis" is fact (like Rachel Maddow once laughably said, "I don't give my opinion, I just explain the news." ).

In this case, any long-time reader of Breitbart knows that they put a lot of stock in what Rasmussen has to say seeing how they are consistently one of the most accurate polling firms in the business, and if you follow the link that carpe is carping about, you'll see that they name their sources right at the top of the story so that the headline is immediately given context, so to call it misleading is itself misleading.
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 04-08-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              They cite a poll that was one of the most accurate ones during the 2016 election to support their contention. You, OTOH, cite a couple polls that were not nearly as accurate that give different result in order to make the claim that Breitbart is misleading people.

Do you consider that honest?
                              In carpe's up-is-down, left-is-right post-modern world, where he denounces Trump with a superlative, and then immediately claims that he doesn't use superlatives, he probably does consider this honest.

Comment