Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More overt racism from Republicans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More overt racism from Republicans

True motives reveal form under the thin veneer.

Source: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/goper-fran-millar-opposes-early-voting-because-it-will-boost-black-turnout

GOPer opposes early voting because it will boost black turnout

A Republican lawmaker in Georgia has sparked outrage by suggesting he opposes new Sunday voting hours because they’ll primarily benefit African-Americans—then explaining that he simply “would prefer more educated voters.”

But take away the overt racism, and state Rep. Fran Millar was only giving the official Republican position on the issue.

After a visit to Atlanta by Michelle Obama to register black voters in advance of Georgia’s closely-fought U.S. Senate race, Millar took to Facebook to criticize a county official for green-lighting Sunday voting at a local mall.

“Michelle Obama comes to town and Chicago politics comes to DeKalb,” Millar wrote. “Per Jim Galloway of the [Atlanta Journal Constitution], this location is dominated by African American shoppers and it is near several large African American mega churches such as New Birth Missionary Baptist.”

He added: “Is it possible church buses will be used to transport people directly to the mall since the poll will open when the mall opens? If this happens, so much for the accepted principle of separation of church and state.”

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Story content does not support headline.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Clearly you didn’t read the content.

Comment

I did. That's why I'm confident in my statement. I saw no direct quote where the person in question said he was against early voting because it would favor blacks, or that he thought that blacks were less educated. Those appear to be assumptions made by his critics and unfairly ascribed to his comments.

Comment

Is Shuny spreading falsehoods again? http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...rlier-universe
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Is Shuny spreading falsehoods again? http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...rlier-universe
            To be fair, shuny was simply quoting the article as it appears. It's just that nowhere in the article do I see a direct quote from Millar saying what is in the headline.

Comment

I did. That's why I'm confident in my statement. I saw no direct quote where the person in question said he was against early voting because it would favor blacks, or that he thought that blacks were less educated. Those appear to be assumptions made by his critics and unfairly ascribed to his comments.
              So did I, and that’s why I’m confident in my statement. Neither the headline nor the content say Millar thought blacks were “less educated.” Nice try.

A Republican lawmaker in Georgia has sparked outrage by suggesting he opposes new Sunday voting hours because they’ll primarily benefit African-Americans—then explaining that he simply “would prefer more educated voters.”
              It says he believed early voting would boost black turnout, which he said would happen if the hours were changed.

Comment

Classic tactic of the fallacy when unable to respond coherently, change the subject and denigrate the opponent.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  Classic tactic of the fallacy when unable to respond coherently, change the subject and denigrate the opponent.
                  You don't get it, I could care less what the man said or didn't, but you are known for fudging the truth...
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                    So did I, and that’s why I’m confident in my statement. Neither the headline nor the content say Millar thought blacks were “less educated.” Nice try.

It says he believed early voting would boost black turnout, which he said would happen if the hours were changed.
                    Still not seeing a direct quote referring to black voters.

Comment

Still not seeing a direct quote referring to black voters.
                      You know exactly what he means in the 4th and 5th paragraphs, and so did the journalist who reported it.
                      He’s specifically said “African Americans” in the context of voting, specifically expressing his concern that poll hours will boost black turnout in the election. You’re just playing dumb.

Comment

You don't get it, I could care less what the man said or didn't, but you are known for fudging the truth...
                        He isn’t in this case. Even MM said so.

Comment

Like posting a story from 2014 and making it look like it is somehow news?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Like posting a story from 2014 and making it look like it is somehow news?
                            No, really?

Comment

No, really?
                              09/10/14 12:15 PM—Updated 09/10/14 02:21 PM
                              http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/goper-fra...-black-turnout

Why do you think it is talking about Michelle Obama?

Comment