Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are statues that offend some Native Americans the next target?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Why not, Columbus was an evil inhumane monster. If you were German would you put up statues honoring Hitler?
    Pro tip: If you consistently compare people you don't like to Hitler, Hitler begins to look sort of ...normal.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Why not, Columbus was an evil inhumane monster. If you were German would you put up statues honoring Hitler?
      We aren't just talking about Columbus. In fact, the article was about the removal of a statue of William McKinley which has caused a bunch of head-scratching and furious Googling in search of a reason for such animosity. So far all that's been offered is that Congress passed legislation for the construction of a hospital while he was president that wasn't even built until a few years after his death and ended up being horribly administered -- as if he was responsible for that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Pro tip: If you consistently compare people you don't like to Hitler, Hitler begins to look sort of ...normal.
        I compare evil with evil and Columbus was no less evil than Hitler.

Comment

Blindly accepting the dramatically exaggerated attacks on Columbus is no better than blindly accepting the dramatically exaggerated praises heaped on him in the past.

Also, we're not talking about Columbus here, so I'm not sure why you brought him up. We're talking about William McKinley, who, as far as I can tell, wasn't guilty of anything particularly pernicious towards Native Americans. If it were a statue of Andrew Jackson I could understand, but McKinley being targeted feels outright random.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Maybe we can level the mountain named after him.
            There is no such mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              Are you in a state of denali?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

So the concept was approved by Congress while he was POTUS. But was carried out and horribly administered a few years after his death. Yeah, let's blame him.
                Like I said - I've got no clue what else it could be. I mean, he probably did do something or other that irked someone - comes with the job description - but he wasn't known for any particular policies that had to do with American Indians that I can find.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

People looking for grievances will never be satisfied. They might just have to work a little harder to find something to protest.
                  Take that back! I'm offended! I'm gonna protest....

Well, maybe...
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Um, yeah - Hitler set out to kill millions - Columbus didn't even remotely hint at wanting to do anything of the kind.

I have no issue with valid comparisons to Hitler and the nazis - but I don't see this one as remotely plausible.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                      Blindly accepting the dramatically exaggerated attacks on Columbus is no better than blindly accepting the dramatically exaggerated praises heaped on him in the past.

Also, we're not talking about Columbus here, so I'm not sure why you brought him up. We're talking about William McKinley, who, as far as I can tell, wasn't guilty of anything particularly pernicious towards Native Americans. If it were a statue of Andrew Jackson I could understand, but McKinley being targeted feels outright random.
                      Yeah, exactly - Jackson I'd see the point - might even agree - but McKinley?!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Hmmm.

Maybe you're on to something after all....

Or maybe you can now see just where such an asinine idea like that would lead us.
                        Invalid comparison! Political opponents cannot be compared to historical figures that set about the destruction of entire peoples. Such people should be reviled, not commemorated by monuments in public places.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Invalid comparison! Political opponents cannot be compared to historical figures that set about the destruction of entire peoples. Such people should be reviled, not commemorated by monuments in public places.
                          You're the one who laid down the criteria:
                          Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Shouldn’t all statues that offend entire segments of the population be removed?

Now you want to move those goalposts clear out of the stadium.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                            It was named after him for most of its popularly-known existence, and only changed by our most recent ex-President toward the tail end of his term. In doing so, he scorned four local languages in favor of a fifth.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I got a solution burn all the statues. Burn the mother down. Disco inferno.
                              sigpic

Comment

It was named after him for most of its popularly-known existence, and only changed by our most recent ex-President toward the tail end of his term. In doing so, he scorned four local languages in favor of a fifth.
                                Actually it was named Dinali by native americans for most of its existence, and was never officially named Mckinley.

Comment