Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are statues that offend some Native Americans the next target?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are statues that offend some Native Americans the next target?

It certainly wouldn't be a shock if the next PC purging of history were to go that route since during the mania to remove or destroy all monuments and statues with any ties to the Confederacy there were stories about statues of Columbus and even some for the Spanish missionaries in California who set up the missions in the late 18th to early 19th cent. have come under attack.

Any case, a news story from the Los Angeles Times

Source: First it was Confederate monuments. Now statues offensive to Native Americans are poised to topple across the U.S.

Over the decades, this quiet coastal hamlet has earned a reputation as one of the most liberal places in the nation. Arcata was the first U.S. city to ban the sale of genetically modified foods, the first to elect a majority Green Party city council and one of the first to tacitly allow marijuana farming before pot was legal.

Now it's on the verge of another first.

No other city has taken down a monument to a president for his misdeeds. But Arcata is poised to do just that. The target is an 8½-foot bronze likeness of William McKinley, who was president at the turn of the last century and stands accused of directing the slaughter of Native peoples in the U.S. and abroad.

"Put a rope around its neck and pull it down," Chris Peters shouted at a recent rally held at the statue, which has adorned the central square for more than a century.

Peters, who heads the Arcata-based Seventh Generation Fund for Indigenous People, called McKinley a proponent of "settler colonialism" that "savaged, raped and killed."

A presidential statue would be the most significant casualty in an emerging movement to remove monuments honoring people who helped lead what Native groups describe as a centuries-long war against their very existence.

The push follows the rapid fall of Confederate memorials across the South in a victory for activists who view them as celebrating slavery. In the nearly eight months since white supremacists marched in central Virginia to protest the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue, cities across the country have yanked dozens of Confederate monuments. Black politicians and activists have been among the strongest supporters of the removals.

This time, it's tribal activists taking charge, and it's the West and California in particular leading the way. The state is home to the largest Native American population in the country and more than 100 federally recognized tribes.

In February, San Francisco officials said they planned to remove a prominent downtown monument depicting a defeated Native American at the feet of a vaquero and a Spanish missionary. In March, the San Jose City Council booted a statue of Christopher Columbus from the lobby of City Hall.

Other states are joining the movement. The city of Kalamazoo, Mich., said last month it would take down a park monument of a Native American in a headdress kneeling before a westward-facing pioneer. In Alcalde, N.M., and El Paso, statues of the conquistador Juan de Oñate have become subjects of renewed debate.

In Baltimore, a city councilman has vowed to replace a smashed Columbus monument with something that better reflects "current-day values."

In Arcata, a city of about 17,000 about two hours south of the Oregon state line, a long-simmering debate over McKinley caught fire after Charlottesville. Area tribes and activists launched a petition campaign and descended on City Hall. The protesters said they couldn't watch Confederate monuments fall without thinking of their own statue.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Story continues at the link above.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

It would appear so.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm not really an expert on McKinley, but I didn't find anything terribly anti-Indian about him in some quick research. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
        I'm not really an expert on McKinley, but I didn't find anything terribly anti-Indian about him in some quick research. Am I missing something?
        This, maybe?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          It certainly wouldn't be a shock if the next PC purging of history were to go that route since during the mania to remove or destroy all monuments and statues with any ties to the Confederacy there were stories about statues of Columbus and even some for the Spanish missionaries in California who set up the missions in the late 18th to early 19th cent. have come under attack.
          Shouldn’t all statues that offend entire segments of the population be removed? The unjustified assumption underlying this that Confederate monuments should not have been removed. Given that most of them were erected during the Jim Crow era as a means of reaffirming white supremacy, they most certainly should have been removed. And any monuments that memorialise the slaughters of Native Americans should be removed also. Why retain them given the shameful history they perpetuate.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Aren’t statues erected to venerate the person in question? If it’s merely a matter of preserving history then that’s what museums etc are there for.

I had to look up this McKinley chap as I’d never heard of him. I found the awful stuff he got up to (relatively recently too), but I’m at a loss to understand why there’s a statue of him? Was he born there or something?

Unless you raise a statue to any old US president, but then that almost diminishes the relevance of the statue to a park bench or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              This, maybe?
              It opened two years after he was assassinated

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I never even heard of someone having a statue of Mckinley. I think it is a liberal conspiracy going back over a hundred years, when their Neanderliberal forebears erected the statue just so they could tear it down now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  Shouldn’t all statues that offend entire segments of the population be removed? The unjustified assumption underlying this that Confederate monuments should not have been removed. Given that most of them were erected during the Jim Crow era as a means of reaffirming white supremacy, they most certainly should have been removed. And any monuments that memorialise the slaughters of Native Americans should be removed also. Why retain them given the shameful history they perpetuate.
                  Well you offend yuuuuge segments of the tweb population. Maybe we should remove you?

Comment

It opened two years after he was assassinated
                    Passed in his first term, though.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Shouldn’t all statues that offend entire segments of the population be removed?
                      Hmmm.

Maybe you're on to something after all....

Or maybe you can now see just where such an asinine idea like that would lead us.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Passed in his first term, though.
                        So the concept was approved by Congress while he was POTUS. But was carried out and horribly administered a few years after his death. Yeah, let's blame him.
                        Last edited by rogue06; 04-03-2018, 02:31 PM. Reason: Add word "out"

Comment

People looking for grievances will never be satisfied. They might just have to work a little harder to find something to protest.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I never even heard of someone having a statue of Mckinley. I think it is a liberal conspiracy going back over a hundred years, when their Neanderliberal forebears erected the statue just so they could tear it down now.
                            Maybe we can level the mountain named after him.

Comment

Any case, a news story from the Los Angeles Times

Source: First it was Confederate monuments. Now statues offensive to Native Americans are poised to topple across the U.S.

Over the decades, this quiet coastal hamlet has earned a reputation as one of the most liberal places in the nation. Arcata was the first U.S. city to ban the sale of genetically modified foods, the first to elect a majority Green Party city council and one of the first to tacitly allow marijuana farming before pot was legal.

Now it's on the verge of another first.

No other city has taken down a monument to a president for his misdeeds. But Arcata is poised to do just that. The target is an 8½-foot bronze likeness of William McKinley, who was president at the turn of the last century and stands accused of directing the slaughter of Native peoples in the U.S. and abroad.

"Put a rope around its neck and pull it down," Chris Peters shouted at a recent rally held at the statue, which has adorned the central square for more than a century.

Peters, who heads the Arcata-based Seventh Generation Fund for Indigenous People, called McKinley a proponent of "settler colonialism" that "savaged, raped and killed."

A presidential statue would be the most significant casualty in an emerging movement to remove monuments honoring people who helped lead what Native groups describe as a centuries-long war against their very existence.

The push follows the rapid fall of Confederate memorials across the South in a victory for activists who view them as celebrating slavery. In the nearly eight months since white supremacists marched in central Virginia to protest the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue, cities across the country have yanked dozens of Confederate monuments. Black politicians and activists have been among the strongest supporters of the removals.

This time, it's tribal activists taking charge, and it's the West and California in particular leading the way. The state is home to the largest Native American population in the country and more than 100 federally recognized tribes.

In February, San Francisco officials said they planned to remove a prominent downtown monument depicting a defeated Native American at the feet of a vaquero and a Spanish missionary. In March, the San Jose City Council booted a statue of Christopher Columbus from the lobby of City Hall.

Other states are joining the movement. The city of Kalamazoo, Mich., said last month it would take down a park monument of a Native American in a headdress kneeling before a westward-facing pioneer. In Alcalde, N.M., and El Paso, statues of the conquistador Juan de Oñate have become subjects of renewed debate.

In Baltimore, a city councilman has vowed to replace a smashed Columbus monument with something that better reflects "current-day values."

In Arcata, a city of about 17,000 about two hours south of the Oregon state line, a long-simmering debate over McKinley caught fire after Charlottesville. Area tribes and activists launched a petition campaign and descended on City Hall. The protesters said they couldn't watch Confederate monuments fall without thinking of their own statue.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Story continues at the link above.
                              Why not, Columbus was an evil inhumane monster. If you were German would you put up statues honoring Hitler?

Comment