Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

diversity is our strength

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Diversity (starting with chattel slavery, the original "diversity is our strength" movement) has been a huge and destructive wedge in the history of the US from the very beginning.

    And (surprise) achieving equal legal rights did nothing to halt its destructiveness.

    The benefits of diversity are largely limited to small groups of professionals with a common goal. In nearly every other setting it's usually far more destructive than beneficial.
    Would you mind interacting with what I said, and not immolating a strawman? I fail to recall where I said anything positive about the idea "diversity is our strength." Chattel slavery is not "diversity."

    Our very motto is E pluribus unum - "out of many, one"; there was certainly a diversity from the beginning, and those who coined it were hardly referring to slavery.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      Except they're not. That's kinda the problem.
      Agreed. That's the entire problem. The liberal motto is "out of many, many." If there is no common culture, society will eventually disintegrate.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Would you mind interacting with what I said, and not immolating a strawman? I fail to recall where I said anything positive about the idea "diversity is our strength." Chattel slavery is not "diversity."
        Chattel slavery as practiced in the US is certainly a form of racial diversity, which is what liberals often refer to when they say "diversity was our strength". The point of my post wasn't to interact with yours directly, but to point out that the destructive effects of diversity far outweigh those of the benefits. Moving millions of people from their home continent to an alien one in which many still have trouble thriving and creating hundreds of years of often violent animus isn't worth a can of peanut butter and an elevator door that closes by itself.

        Our very motto is E pluribus unum - "out of many, one";
        A call for unity of individuals, nothing in particular to do with diversity.

        there was certainly a diversity from the beginning,
        America at its founding certainly was the most diverse group of Northwestern Europeans on the planet.

        and those who coined it were hardly referring to slavery.
        Sure. They weren't referring to ethnic diversity at all, with slaves or otherwise.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

        There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Agreed. That's the entire problem. The liberal motto is "out of many, many." If there is no common culture, society will eventually disintegrate.
          You can't have a common culture without a common history and you can't have a common history without a significant amount of time spent interbreeding. It's why ethnic diversity somehow always ends in conflict, even in countries with hundreds of years of common history and far better cultural integration than the US (IE: Yugoslavia, or Brazil, which is currently in the middle of a lot of internal turmoil split, among other things, on racial lines, and that's a country with significant interbreeding and which handled the end of slavery much better than the US did). It's why Saddam's pan-arabism or Gaddafi's pan-African dreams collapsed. Even seemingly small differences (to outsiders) leads to strife.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

          There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            Except they're not. That's kinda the problem.
            that's what I said.

            Instead of uniting us all as one people like our forefathers did, the liberals seek to divide us by pointing out the differences.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              that's what I said.

              Instead of uniting us all as one people like our forefathers did, the liberals seek to divide us by pointing out the differences.
              No doubt liberals are actively pushing to expand differences, because they are insane and incapable of comprehending the idea that actions have consequences, but it's worth noting that the founding fathers' unity didn't exactly stand the test of time either. They were forced by circumstances to let in large numbers of immigrants, and it's understandable why, because the US would have likely been overrun by foreign powers if they didn't have enough hands to work the large amount of land it occupied and defend it, but eventually that just exacerbated the cultural differences and led to a bloody civil war. I'm not even sure it's possible to run a country of 300 million and remain intact in the long term, even without significant ethnic differences.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

              There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                No doubt liberals are actively pushing to expand differences, because they are insane and incapable of comprehending the idea that actions have consequences, but it's worth noting that the founding fathers' unity didn't exactly stand the test of time either. They were forced by circumstances to let in large numbers of immigrants, and it's understandable why, because the US would have likely been overrun by foreign powers if they didn't have enough hands to work the large amount of land it occupied and defend it, but eventually that just exacerbated the cultural differences and led to a bloody civil war. I'm not even sure it's possible to run a country of 300 million and remain intact in the long term, even without significant ethnic differences.
                You sound as bad as the liberals with wanting to cause and point out division among people, Darth. Maybe you should switch sides?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  You sound as bad as the liberals with wanting to cause and point out division among people, Darth. Maybe you should switch sides?
                  Liberals recognize (or at least instinctively adapt to) reality and effectively use it for evil. I also recognize reality and use it for good. But because you are fixated on fairy tales you were duped into believing all your life you conclude that anyone who doesn't believe in them naturally belongs on the same side. Reality is a hard pill to swallow. This is why conservatism is on death's door and will be replaced within the next 10-20 years by something else.

                  Also, you are very confused about an entirely different topic. We're not on the same side. I already divested myself from conservatives a while ago. I won't be joining any sides until one that is to my liking appears (or I create one).
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

                  There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    Liberals recognize (or at least instinctively adapt to) reality and effectively use it for evil. I also recognize reality and use it for good. But because you are fixated on fairy tales you were duped into believing all your life you conclude that anyone who doesn't believe in them naturally belongs on the same side. Reality is a hard pill to swallow. This is why conservatism is on death's door and will be replaced within the next 10-20 years by something else.

                    Also, you are very confused about an entirely different topic. We're not on the same side. I already divested myself from conservatives a while ago. I won't be joining any sides until one that is to my liking appears (or I create one).
                    Got it.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Sparko's tactic (of not pointing out things that are real because they "cause division") seems to also be the preferred progressive media tactic when it comes to things like, say, the ethnic cleansing of blacks by latinos from many parts of the southern US:

                      IE:
                      http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan...mpton-20130126

                      The trouble began soon after they arrived.

                      The black family—a mother, three teenage children and a 10-year-old boy—moved into a little yellow home in Compton over Christmas vacation.

                      When a friend came to visit, four men in a black SUV pulled up and called him a "n-word," saying black people were barred from the neighborhood, according to Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies. They jumped out, drew a gun on him and beat him with metal pipes.

                      It was just the beginning of what detectives said was a campaign by a Latino street gang to force an African American family to leave.
                      You'd think ethnic cleansing on US soil in the 21st century would be a nationwide scandal but like most gang crime, its ethnic nature ensures it gets almost no national media coverage, and when it does it ends up like the Zimmerman case, with the media blatantly lying.

                      This, for some reason is the preferred tactic of Sparko and other conservatives. I think it needs a flashy name, like the Wimp Lo doctrine:



                      "I am bleeding, making me the victor."
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

                      There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        Sparko's tactic (of not pointing out things that are real because they "cause division") seems to also be the preferred progressive media tactic when it comes to things like, say, the ethnic cleansing of blacks by latinos from many parts of the southern US:

                        IE:
                        http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan...mpton-20130126



                        You'd think ethnic cleansing on US soil in the 21st century would be a nationwide scandal but like most gang crime, its ethnic nature ensures it gets almost no national media coverage, and when it does it ends up like the Zimmerman case, with the media blatantly lying.

                        This, for some reason is the preferred tactic of Sparko and other conservatives. I think it needs a flashy name, like the Wimp Lo doctrine:



                        "I am bleeding, making me the victor."


                        huh, I thought you would be all for ethnic cleansing, Darth.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          huh, I thought you would be all for ethnic cleansing, Darth.
                          And I thought you wouldn't be. Glad we understand each other now.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

                          There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            The USA doesn't need to be invaded by a foreign army, they are letting them in freely as "immigrants" and "refugees" which turn around and show their gratitude by destroying the USA from within. This has been going on for nearly 20 years now.
                            Fixed.



                            Incoming!!!
                            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by seer View Post
                              I never understood diversity/strength thing. We in the US created arguably the most powerful, richest country in history almost exclusively with white European males.
                              If I remember correctly you forced some non-European non-white males to help you...
                              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                This statement strikes me as self-contradictory.
                                Where is the contradiction? I have been working with people with all sorts of religious and cultural backgrounds and had no problem wtih it.
                                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, Today, 08:02 AM
                                2 responses
                                25 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                                Started by Ronson, Yesterday, 09:17 AM
                                18 responses
                                149 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Ronson
                                by Ronson
                                 
                                Started by Mountain Man, 01-22-2021, 10:00 AM
                                20 responses
                                137 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Mountain Man  
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, 01-22-2021, 06:45 AM
                                75 responses
                                471 views
                                2 likes
                                Last Post EvoUK
                                by EvoUK
                                 
                                Started by Cow Poke, 01-21-2021, 03:35 PM
                                46 responses
                                320 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Ronson
                                by Ronson
                                 
                                Working...
                                X