Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Go Arpaio Go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Arpaio Go!

Just saw this little tidbit in my news feed. As unbelievable as it seems to me, I do encourage the man to continue. I cannot believe this can do anything other than paint Arpaio as the far right extremist he is, and rally the left in AZ to defeat him.

I honestly thought that conspiracy theory was finally dead....
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Just saw this little tidbit in my news feed. As unbelievable as it seems to me, I do encourage the man to continue. I cannot believe this can do anything other than paint Arpaio as the far right extremist he is, and rally the left in AZ to defeat him.
    This isn't anything new. He declared his candidacy for the primary months ago.

Anyway, I can't imagine him entering the primary would rally the left to defeat him. They'd probably want him to succeed to give the Democrats a better chance. Or maybe you mean it'd rally the left if he wins the nomination, but that seems unlikely. Martha McSally was leading in the most recent polls, and while those admittedly were back in January (not making them particularly recent), I imagine things will have gotten worse for Arpaio in the meantime considering how badly nominating Roy Moore worked out for the Republicans.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post

Anyway, I can't imagine him entering the primary would rally the left to defeat him. They'd probably want him to succeed to give the Democrats a better chance. Or maybe you mean it'd rally the left if he wins the nomination, but that seems unlikely. Martha McSally was leading in the most recent polls, and while those admittedly were back in January (not making them particularly recent), I imagine things will have gotten worse for Arpaio in the meantime considering how badly nominating Roy Moore worked out for the Republicans.
      What does a slander campaign against Moore have to do with weakening the Republicans? That process just showed how corrupt the Democrats are. Such slander can be done in any campaign independent of the quality of a candidate.

Comment

Yeah - I was skipping right over the primaries and going straight for the general...

Seems I hitched the horse to the wrong end of the dang cart!
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          What does a slander campaign against Moore have to do with weakening the Republicans? That process just showed how corrupt the Democrats are. Such slander can be done in any campaign independent of the quality of a candidate.
          It's not slander if it's true, Mike. It's just news.

Comment

What's the point of going after Obama now? I agree that there are still some oddities surrounding Obama's official place of birth (no hard copies of his Hawaiian birth certificate? Social security number from Connecticut?), but Obama is no longer president, he can't do any more damage to the country, so why bother?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              Even if we assume it was slander, Moore would have won despite it if he hadn't been such an extremist.

Comment

It was slander. Every one of the accusers' stories fell apart under scrutiny, not that the liberal media was interested in digging too deeply. In fact, The Washington Post who broke the original accusation buried the fact that the timeline was almost impossibly short for everything she claimed happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  What's the point of going after Obama now? I agree that there are still some oddities surrounding Obama's official place of birth (no hard copies of his Hawaiian birth certificate? Social security number from Connecticut?), but Obama is no longer president, he can't do any more damage to the country, so why bother?
                  Of course you're a birther.

Comment

Even if we assume it was slander, Moore would have won despite it if he hadn't been such an extremist.
                    Isn't it the person who has seen the corruptions of the government precisely what we are looking for to try to fix the government?

It was not the people against an honest candidate; it was the US Congress who sought not to have an honest candidate. That alone would have been the important reason for people to act against such evil actions to keep him out of office.

Comment

Wow. You have a lower estimation of the quality of new from the mass media than I have. When you first were discussing things here in these recent days, I thought you might have brought in more balanced discussion.

Comment

Hawaii provided his long-form birth certificate, so the first part is false.

Theory 1: Apparently I must be highly suspicious as well, because my birth certificate says I was born in NH but my social security code is from VT. According to my parents, it was common practice not to get a social security number until something happened that required it. That didn't happen for us until after we had moved to Vermont, hence the disconnect. The practice of issuing a SSN at birth happened later, and is still not universal.

Theory 2: However, the problem is actually a bit different than that. The social security number is a federal number. The prefix is based on the address to which the social security number is requested to be sent, not the state the issuer occupies. Since Obama moved out of country (Kenya) at a young age, if that request was made after they left, the request would have been to send the social security number to a friend or relative's home somewhere in country. That is perfectly normal. If that friend/relative lived in Connecticut - end of mystery.

Theory 3 (and the BIG winner): The zip code where Obama lived in Hawaii and the Connecticut zip code are identical except for the first number: it's a 9 in Hawaii and a 0 in Connecticut. That makes the most likely theory simple typo, since those two numbers are side by side on the typewriter keyboard. It seems VERY unlikely that Obama would have moved to or known someone in that SPECIFIC zip code on the mainland.

Really - it's time for this bogus conspiracy theory to die, IMO. I think Arpaio is
                        Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-27-2018, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                          Of course you're a birther.
                          Not as such. It's just that some things don't add up. Maybe there's a good explanation, but I haven't heard it (the Connecticut social security number is the most inexplicable since someone born in Hawaii should have a Hawaiian social security number). None of it is conclusive; I just find it curious.

Comment

Not as such. It's just that some things don't add up. Maybe there's a good explanation, but I haven't heard it (the Connecticut social security number is the most inexplicable since someone born in Hawaii should have a Hawaiian social security number). None of it is conclusive; I just find it curious.
                            See my post...

Comment

Hawaii provided his long-form birth certificate...
                              A digital copy with some certain anomalies that have never been entirely explained. To my knowledge, nobody has ever seen a physical copy of the original. Like I said, not definitive, just curious.

According to my parents, it was common practice not to get a social security number until something happened that required it. That didn't happen for us until after we had moved to Vermont, hence the disconnect.
                              The problem with that theory is that Obama never lived in Connecticut.

Comment