Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What the Civil Government Should or Should Not Prohibit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the Civil Government Should or Should Not Prohibit

Out of all the things that are morally wrong, how do you know which of those things the civil government should or should not prohibit?

Some people think that since the civil government is supposed to punish evildoers and those who promote heresy are evildoers, that the civil government is supposed to punish those who promote heresy.

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
    Out of all the things that are morally wrong, how do you know which of those things the civil government should or should not prohibit?

Some people think that since the civil government is supposed to punish evildoers and those who promote heresy are evildoers, that the civil government is supposed to punish those who promote heresy.
    Yeah, but they usually get tucked in at night by big blokes wearing white tunics.
    Heresy should be supported and promoted by the civil authorities loudly and frequently against authoritarian dogma at every opportunity.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

If the government were to punish heresy, we would have to rely predominantly on the self-interests of those in power to determine which aspects are considered heresy. This all would simply lead to more power in the hands of dictatorial rulers -- who also are likely to promote heresy.

Comment

*BLAM* HERESY! /commissar

Comment

"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master." Abraham Lincoln
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

There's a reason America's Founding Fathers wrote the First Amendment.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              If the government were to punish heresy, we would have to rely predominantly on the self-interests of those in power to determine which aspects are considered heresy. This all would simply lead to more power in the hands of dictatorial rulers -- who also are likely to promote heresy.
              Not everyone is in agreement concerning what is a heresy so under a certain government person X would be considered a heretic, but not person Y. If there were some other government, person Y would be considered a heretic, but not person X.

Comment

The Bible teaches that the civil authorities are supposed to punish evildoers (Romans 13:4). Who is an evildoer? Which evildoers should the civil authorities punish? Many people would agree that committing fornication is evil, but I don't think people would want the civil government to outlaw fornication. Being rude to people is immoral, but I don't think the civil authorities should make being rude to people a crime. Going to strip clubs is immoral, but I don't think going to those places should be outlawed by the government.

Comment

Governments punish those who do evil, but that doesn't imply that they will necessarily punish all evil.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Not everyone is in agreement concerning what is a heresy so under a certain government person X would be considered a heretic, but not person Y. If there were some other government, person Y would be considered a heretic, but not person X.
                    It sounds like you at least partly agree with what I said.

Comment

Many people would agree that committing fornication is evil, but I don't think people would want the civil government to outlaw fornication.
                      'what people want' doesn't matter, God doesn't care, banned it for Israelites.
                      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment