Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Marlon Bundo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlon Bundo

Recently, I engaged in a discussion in another thread concerning my state of mind about our country, and the upcoming election cycles (2018, 2020). I was told I was a gloomy gus (so to speak). I have to admit my spirits were somewhat lifted when I saw this.

As a background, Marlon Bundo is the pet rabbit of the Pence family. Charlotte (his daughter) wrote a children's book about "a day in the life of the VP." It was illustrated by Mrs. Pence. Last Sunday night, John Oliver's "feature" segment was all about Mike Pence, his political history, and his stance on several social issues, including homosexuality. As a form of protest against that stance, Oliver assembled a team that quickly wrote a competing children's book, which is all about the desire of Marlon Bundo to marry another male bunny called Wesley, and how he overcame the opposition of a remarkably Pence-like stink bug who decreed "boys don't marry boys." An audio book was quickly created, which engages the talents of some big-name gay actors.

As of today, the hard copies of the "protest" book have sold out, and the book tops the Amazon charts, eclipsing even Comey's new book. All of the proceeds of BOTH books are going to charity. Pence's book is going to an art therapy program (Tracy's Kids) and a nonprofit dedicated to ending human trafficking. The protest book proceeds are going to AIDS United and the Trevor Project.

I bought five copies of the protest book and will give them out as gifts. Now that I know the proceeds from the Pence book are also going to charity, I'm giving thought to buying at least one. But I was very heartened to see that Ms. Charlotte bought a copy of the protest book. It gives me hope that such a huge outpouring of support for the LGBTQ community can happen today, and even the daughter of a man like Mr. Pence can act as she has.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Isn't that sort of plagiarism, stealing the character from someone else's book?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Since the character is a public figure (Marlon Bundo is Pence's actual bunny, not a fictional character) I don't see a problem. If Charlotte had created a completely fictional character, that would definitely be plagiarism.

It's the difference between someone writing a book with Captain Kirk as the main character, and someone writing a book with John Glenn as the main character.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Since the character is a public figure (Marlon Bundo is Pence's actual bunny, not a fictional character) I don't see a problem. If Charlotte had created a completely fictional character, that would definitely be plagiarism.

It's the difference between someone writing a book with Lassie as the main character, and someone writing a book with Secretariat as the main character.

Comment

I am curious was the book by Charlotte political at all? Was it an apolitical childrens book?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
            I am curious was the book by Charlotte political at all? Was it an apolitical childrens book?
            It's hard to see how a book about a day in the life of Mr. Pence as VP could be "apolitical." But I have not read it, so I cannot claim to know.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

It's the difference between someone writing a book with Captain Kirk as the main character, and someone writing a book with John Glenn as the main character.
              Thanks for clarifying!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Recently, I engaged in a discussion in another thread concerning my state of mind about our country, and the upcoming election cycles (2018, 2020). I was told I was a gloomy gus (so to speak). I have to admit my spirits were somewhat lifted when I saw this.

As a background, Marlon Bundo is the pet rabbit of the Pence family. Charlotte (his daughter) wrote a children's book about "a day in the life of the VP." It was illustrated by Mrs. Pence. Last Sunday night, John Oliver's "feature" segment was all about Mike Pence, his political history, and his stance on several social issues, including homosexuality. As a form of protest against that stance, Oliver assembled a team that quickly wrote a competing children's book, which is all about the desire of Marlon Bundo to marry another male bunny called Wesley, and how he overcame the opposition of a remarkably Pence-like stink bug who decreed "boys don't marry boys." An audio book was quickly created, which engages the talents of some big-name gay actors.

As of today, the hard copies of the "protest" book have sold out, and the book tops the Amazon charts, eclipsing even Comey's new book. All of the proceeds of BOTH books are going to charity. Pence's book is going to an art therapy program (Tracy's Kids) and a nonprofit dedicated to ending human trafficking. The protest book proceeds are going to AIDS United and the Trevor Project.

I bought five copies of the protest book and will give them out as gifts. Now that I know the proceeds from the Pence book are also going to charity, I'm giving thought to buying at least one. But I was very heartened to see that Ms. Charlotte bought a copy of the protest book. It gives me hope that such a huge outpouring of support for the LGBTQ community can happen today, and even the daughter of a man like Mr. Pence can act as she has.
                Only liberals would cobble together a "protest book" in order to fuss about an innocuous children's book because of their mindless hatred

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                  There was nothing political about Charlotte's book it was a simple children's book about the day in the life of the Vice President. John Oliver took it upon himself to politicize it because of who wrote it and no other reason then to demonize someone who holds a different view then he does. In other words politics as usual for the left.
                  Last edited by RumTumTugger; 03-22-2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Only liberals would cobble together a "protest book" in order to fuss about an innocuous children's book because of their mindless hatred
                    Actually - it is not about mindless hatred. It is about objecting to a position that discriminates against a group of people. MLK was not about "mindless hatred." Gandhi was not about mindless hatred. Those who are standing up for people who are gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual, or queer are not engaging in "mindless hatred." They are defending those who should be defended.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                      there was nothing political about Charlottes book John Oliver took it upon himself to politize it because of who wrote it it was not an answer to the book it was pure and simple using it to demonize someone who holds a different view in others politics as usual for the left.
                      A book about "a day in the life of the VP" is "not political?" Exactly how is that even possible?

Comment

Whilst I have an incredibly low opinion of Pence I must admit he is good at naming his pets.

I had two pet rabbits we named Bunny & Clive- which I liked- but I admit to defeat in this instance.

Comment

I can't wait for the next "protest" book about how Marlon Bundo wants to have sex with children and other species.*

How many copies can we count on carpe buying as gifts?

* Yes, I do consider pedophilia and bestiality to be morally equivalent to homosexuality. We can thank God that general society still finds them "icky", but for how much longer?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Actually - it is not about mindless hatred. It is about objecting to a position that discriminates against a group of people. MLK was not about "mindless hatred." Gandhi was not about mindless hatred. Those who are standing up for people who are gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual, or queer are not engaging in "mindless hatred." They are defending those who should be defended.
                            Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean that it's about mindless hatred but rather it is the product of mindless hatred. Only someone deep in the throes of derangement would feel it necessary to write a "protest book" as a "response" to this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                              Whilst I have an incredibly low opinion of Pence I must admit he is good at naming his pets.

I had two pet rabbits we named Bunny & Clive- which I liked- but I admit to defeat in this instance.
                              Agreed. Marlon Bundo is an awesome name. Oliver gave Pence kudos for this. It was pretty much the only thing he gave Pence Kudos for.

Look, there is no question that I find Pence...well...unacceptable. His position on homosexuality I consider bigoted. His attitude towards women is almost neanderthalish. His willingness to sniff at the Trumpian butt is absolutely unacceptable. He has compromised himself in so many ways, blathering through one Trump lie after another. One of my greatest fears is that the Democrats will take control of the House and Senate, and impeach Trump - putting Pence in the White House. Or that Pence will separate from the Trump ticket and attempt a run on his own. Trump is a moron. But Pence is an idealogue that I consider more than a little dangerous.

Comment