Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another school shooting in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    Sources missing, and the mainstream media conveniently misrepresented. There's not even a tiny chance you didn't plagiarize this, so I won't bother googling it. Sometimes it pays to do your own research, rouge, and it always pays to apply a little critical thinking to accounts about the mainstream media found in fringe media.

3 Slain at Law School; Student Is Held
    Mr. Odighizuwa was subdued by three law students who were experienced police officers, the authorities said.

''We're trained to run into the situation instead away from it,'' said one of the three, Mikael Gross, 34, of Charlotte, N.C., who ran to his car for his bulletproof vest and service pistol before tackling the suspect.

Mr. Gross said that when he returned to the building he saw the gunman strike Ted Besen, another former officer, in the head. Mr. Gross said that he and another former officer, Tracy Bridges, then tackled the man.

The "students" who subdued Odighizuwa were also trained LEOs, which you would know if you had read the Times article yourself, a serious omission. Mr. Gross' account includes the detail that he was both armed and wearing a vest, another serious omission.

And lastly, if, as your unnamed source claims, a bare handful of media accounts included the detail that Odighizuwa threw down his weapon when confronted at gunpoint, contrary to Mr. Gross account, odds are it's because the handful of accounts added the detail to sensationalize the story and dupe their chosen demographic.
    Not plagiarized as it comes from something I wrote back around the time it happened (which was when I was considerably less concerned about providing links and the like[1]).

Funny how you have a habit of insinuating if not outright proclaiming that I must have lifted something from somewhere else and yet you have never, not once, provided a scintilla of evidence to support this accusation. As you say this is a "serious omission" on your part but I guess it's okay when you do it

The point is, and still remains, that the overwhelming majority of news accounts didn't mention the role of students, armed with firearms[2], had in stopping the shooter and this is far from the only case. The MSM tends to spike that part of the story. Congrats on finding one of the very few that didn't do so in this particular case, although only in passing, and giving the false impression (deliberately?[3]) that arming themselves played no role in the subduing of the shooter).

1. It was also a time I had access to Lexis-Nexis allowing me to scan hundreds of newspapers and do quick statistical analysis.

2. It matters little that they were off duty law enforcement since now even they are rendered helpless by the Gun Free zone laws (a recent court decision in this area declared they are not exempt when off duty (the local legislature was looking into passing legislation excluding them)

3. probably in order to "dupe their chosen demographic"
    Last edited by rogue06; 03-22-2018, 01:08 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      Finally!
      Just another example that libs like you will ignore. Gunphobia is big.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment