Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Beginning of the End of Gerrymandering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Several ways...

...his regulatory stance, which is shifting money from individuals to businesses...
    ...his immigration stance...
    ...his tax approach...
    ...his protectionist rhetoric...
    ...his emerging trade practices...
    ...but mostly, as you note, his behavior. Specifically his belicose rhetoric to the left, his derogatory language to "other", and his tendency to conspiracy theory
    Except for perhaps immigration stance, which I'll get to in a moment, nothing you detail seems particularly far-right. They're all fairly normal conservative positions.

Again, Trump's behavior and language may be extreme, but his positions generally aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      Except for perhaps immigration stance, which I'll get to in a moment, nothing you detail seems particularly far-right. They're all fairly normal conservative positions.

Again, Trump's behavior and language may be extreme, but his positions generally aren't.
      I frankly had never considered any of these to be "moderate right." The moderate right is more concerned with balancing the budget, and taxes are a means to an end. They understand that balancing the budget has to be done with a combination of tax and spending initiatives. The moderate right wants to cut unnecessary regulation, but is not rabid about cutting essentially all regulation indiscriminately. They understand the need for balance between regulation and ecology and personal protections. They simply want regulation to be kept at a minimum to achieve those things. They are not looking to fatten corporations at the expense of the common person. The moderate right is a proponnet of "free trade" and "the market rules." So protectionist policies that create trade wars without actually benifitting the american workforce is not in their interests. And the moderate right is not looking to vilify immigrants - but rather to ensure that immigration policy is well structured and enforced.

Trump's BASE is the mid-hard right. It is all he speaks to. It is all he cares about. He is doing what the left did for years - ignoring and villifying everyone in the country that doesn't agree with him.

He's simply going to cause the pendulum to swing to the left that much faster...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

trump's economic policies on trade are far more common on the left (or were until Trump made them central to his platform).

trump's bellicose rhetoric is mostly directed at his political enemies, both on the right and the left. AFAIK he hasn't attacked Hillary's rank and file supporters whereas hillary attacked Trump's repeatedly so he's not even particularly extreme at this like Clinton, Obama and Romney were (they were very polite to each other but made sure to get their digs in at normal citizens). It just goes to show what I mentioned earlier in the Mike Pence bunny thread that Carpedm doesn't really care about civility, he's just mad Trump retaliates to attacks with his own counterattacks.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          trump's economic policies on trade are far more common on the left (or were until Trump made them central to his platform).

trump's bellicose rhetoric is mostly directed at his political enemies, both on the right and the left. AFAIK he hasn't attacked Hillary's rank and file supporters whereas hillary attacked Trump's repeatedly so he's not even particularly extreme at this like Clinton, Obama and Romney were (they were very polite to each other but made sure to get their digs in at normal citizens). It just goes to show what I mentioned earlier in the Mike Pence bunny thread that Carpedm doesn't really care about civility, he's just mad Trump retaliates to attacks with his own counterattacks.
          Actually... Carpe isn't really mad at all...

You're "doing a Sparko" and trying to read my mind...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

that's hardly an important part of the analysis. The meat of it is that your criticism is not honest or in good faith
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

that's hardly an important part of the analysis. The meat of it is that your criticism is not honest or in good faith
              Assuming you're talking to me, now your attempting to read my intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                Assuming you're talking to me, now your attempting to read my intentions.
                It's not hard to do when you engage in blatant double standards.

Comment

It's not hard to do when you engage in blatant double standards.
                  Your perspective is duly noted.

Comment