Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

50 million Facebook profiles harvested for firm linked to former Trump adviser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Facebook loses $70 billion in market value.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/0...on-in-10-days/
    Meh. That has to do with stocks, and how much others value the company. It's bad for their investment image, but most users aren't going to notice.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You mean the troll factory that had pretty much zero impact on the election?
      The St Petersburg 'troll farm' had 90 dedicated staff working to influence US election campaign.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8005276.html

It would be hard to quantify the effect on the election. On the principle that advertisers pay big bucks to advertise their products in the expectation that it will increase sales, it is reasonable to assume that such a massive concentration of staff dedicated to denigrating Hillary and promoting Trump had an effect. Probably more than sufficient to put Trump into power given how close some of the districts were.

And then of course, there was Cambridge Analytica doing the same thing as well.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

It's not hard to quantify when you consider the facts...

The vast majority of ads were purchased after the election, Facebook has said that less then 5-million people even saw the ads before the election, and those same "troll factories" promoted militant liberal groups like Black Lives Matter and organized anti-Trump rallies (one of which was famously headlined by Michael Moron).
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          And then of course, there was Cambridge Analytica doing the same thing as well.
          Wait, you mean a firm hired by Trump to help get him elected may have actually helped to get him elected?
          For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

How dare they?!?

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Wait, you mean a firm hired by Trump to help get him elected may have actually helped to get him elected?
            For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

How dare they?!?

I'm saying Trump's team cheated by manipulating public opinion via Cambridge Analytica's illegal harvesting of 50 million Facebook members without their knowledge plus the similar influencing of public opinion by the St Petersburg Troll Factory. How much Trump himself was personally involved is what's currently under investigation by Mueller.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I'm saying Trump's team cheated by manipulating public opinion via Cambridge Analytica's illegal harvesting of 50 million Facebook members without their knowledge plus the similar influencing of public opinion by the St Petersburg Troll Factory. How much Trump himself was personally involved is what's currently under investigation by Mueller.
              Trump's team did the same thing that Obama's did. The only differences are that Facebook wished the latter good luck and the MSM fell over themselves praising them for their technical acumen.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Trump's team did the same thing that Obama's did. The only differences are that Facebook wished the latter good luck and the MSM fell over themselves praising them for their technical acumen.
                And not just Obama's campaign but countless other companies over the years, which is why Facebook is in such big trouble right now.

Comment

And not just Obama's campaign but countless other companies over the years, which is why Facebook is in such big trouble right now.
                  The chickens of the oversharing generation are coming home to roost, and they are acting surprised at the exploitation of their oversharing
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    The chickens of the oversharing generation are coming home to roost, and they are acting surprised at the exploitation of their oversharing
                    Some of which go around committing crimes and posting videos of it on facebook. Then wonder why they got arrested.

Comment

I'm saying Trump's team cheated by manipulating public opinion via Cambridge Analytica's illegal harvesting of 50 million Facebook members without their knowledge
                      Libs like you just mad that Trump is better at using tech than loser Team Obama+Hillary
                      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                        Libs like you just mad that Trump is better at using tech than loser Team Obama+Hillary
                        Considering that Obama beat the pants off his challenger twice makes him anything but a loser in this context. Of course back then the media swooned over the fact that he was harvesting data from Facebook and using it to fuel his campaign, and then there's Facebook who gave him their blessing. But now that the Trump campaign appears to have successfully used the exact same technique, suddenly it's evil.

And then there's Facebook's Zuckerberg who is scrambling like mad to stay ahead of this thing.

Comment

Zuckerberg's defense for their lax security and proclivity for spying on their own users (what, you thought your private messages and photos were really private?),

Paraphrasing: "lol oops"

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/0...-is-a-mess-up/

Comment