Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court & Unions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Were your parents or grandparents union members seer? Most likely they were, and even if they weren't, their life and standard of living, and so too yours, was better because of them.
    Most of us, I think, believe there was a need for unions at one time. I do.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      It would be great if the courts would likewise rule that those who choose not to join the union have to negotiate their own contracts and forgo union representation in disciplinary actions.
      When I go to work for a company, I know (maybe others don't) what the terms of my employment are, and by accepting that job, I accept those terms. Should the terms change to something I don't like, there is nothing forcing me to continue working there.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I think it is only fair that if someone is not part of the union, they are on their own. They should not get union benefits nor should they have to pay union fees. But if the union negotiates a minimum hiring practice for a company, and the company extends that to even non union members, that is just tough cookies for the union. The company can do whatever they want. even offer non union members the same contract they offer union members. It makes it simpler for the company.
        And probably helps avoid discrimination lawsuits.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          When I go to work for a company, I know (maybe others don't) what the terms of my employment are, and by accepting that job, I accept those terms. Should the terms change to something I don't like, there is nothing forcing me to continue working there.
          Wait. What? You mean to say that you can just quit a job and go work somewhere else? For any reason? Wow! So you aren't a slave to your employer?

Comment

When you go to work for a company, then that employer has to respect certain rights and privileges you continue to maintain, despite being their employee. That was what Unions did and do fight for.
            "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
            Hear my cry, hear my shout,
            Save me, save me"

Comment

When you go to work for a company, then that employer has to respect certain rights and privileges you continue to maintain, despite being their employee. That was what Unions did and do fight for.
              Sure, I never denied they served a purpose. In fact, I actually said they did.

Comment

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Why?
                  Because they served a purpose.

Comment

So, in another thread, when suggesting the possibility that CERTAIN teachers and staff be allowed to be armed IF they want to and IF they are qualified and properly trained -- the pushback was something having to do with not trusting teachers because so many of them have improper relationships with our children.

And who defends these perverts when they should get their butts canned? The teacher unions.

Comment

So, in another thread, when suggesting the possibility that CERTAIN teachers and staff be allowed to be armed IF they want to and IF they are qualified and properly trained -- the pushback was something having to do with not trusting teachers because so many of them have improper relationships with our children.

And who defends these perverts when they should get their butts canned? The teacher unions.
                      Are you against due process now?
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Are you against due process now?
                        That's just dumb. It's virtually impossible to fire bad teachers, or bad government employees. That's not why unions were formed.

Comment

That's just dumb. It's virtually impossible to fire bad teachers, or bad government employees. That's not why unions were formed.
                          We've had union teachers fired for all sorts of stuff. The due process is protected by the union so that you can't lose your job over stuff like internal politics and false accusations.
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

We've had union teachers fired for all sorts of stuff. The due process is protected by the union so that you can't lose your job over stuff like internal politics and false accusations.
                            There are federal regulations in place that protect people from wrongful termination without holding them hostage to a union.

Comment

There are federal regulations in place that protect people from wrongful termination without holding them hostage to a union.
                              In the long term, sure. The union is there the moment you get fired or falsely accused with representation so that you don't have to do that stuff out of pocket.
                              Save me, save me"

Comment

In the long term, sure.
                                It's not as convoluted as you would like to believe - I have been an HR Director, certified in Employee Law -- it's not rocket science. Even in a 'right to work" state like Texas, there are remedies.

The union is there the moment you get fired or falsely accused with representation so that you don't have to do that stuff out of pocket.
                                So, if somebody wants to pay extra for that privilege, they should have that CHOICE. Aren't you guys pro-choice*?

*just pokin' ya, Guac, I'm guessing you're not pro-choice in that regard.

Comment