Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court & Unions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court & Unions

I don't see how this practice lasted so long...

Supreme Court hears arguments on power of public employee unions

by PETE WILLIAMS

WASHINGTON — A closely divided U.S. Supreme Court took up a case Monday that's likely to deal a crippling blow to unions representing millions of the nation's public employees.

The justices will decide whether state government workers who choose not to join a union must still pay a share of union dues to cover the cost of negotiating contracts.

The court deadlocked 4-4 on the same issue two years ago in a case brought by a group of California teachers opposed to paying the dues. Since then, conservative Neil Gorsuch has joined the court, and he seems all but certain to provide the fifth vote opponents need to strike the fees down.

But with both sides in the case — and the other justices — eager to hear from Gorsuch, he said nothing during the hour-long argument Monday, declining to ask a single question.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...unions-n850851
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

It would be great if the courts would likewise rule that those who choose not to join the union have to negotiate their own contracts and forgo union representation in disciplinary actions.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      It would be great if the courts would likewise rule that those who choose not to join the union have to negotiate their own contracts and forgo union representation in disciplinary actions.
      I'm sure most of them would not have a problem with that, but this is a Constitutional issue, negotiating their own contract is not.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        I'm sure most of them would not have a problem with that, but this is a Constitutional issue, negotiating their own contract is not.
        Eventually, whether or not the unions must represent non-members will come up. Unions have challenges ready to fire following an adverse ruling from the court.
        Save me, save me"

Comment

I don't see how this practice lasted so long...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...unions-n850851
          Were your parents or grandparents union members seer? Most likely they were, and even if they weren't, their life and standard of living, and so too yours, was better because of them.

Comment

Eventually, whether or not the unions must represent non-members will come up. Unions have challenges ready to fire following an adverse ruling from the court.
            That is fine, they can do what they will. It is still good that this unconstitutional practice may be struck down.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Were your parents or grandparents union members seer? Most likely they were, and even if they weren't, their life and standard of living, and so too yours, was better because of them.
              No none of them were union members, a couple of my Uncles were, and I was a Teamster for a decade, and the treasurer of my local. But that does not bear on this clear unconstitutional practice.

Comment

It would bother me less if they were being consistent on this. There are other instances of this practice being allowed.
                Save me, save me"

Comment

There are other instances of this practice being allowed.
                  I hate public funding of candidates, why should my tax money go to people I don't agree with politically? What other practices are you speaking of?

Comment

I think it is only fair that if someone is not part of the union, they are on their own. They should not get union benefits nor should they have to pay union fees. But if the union negotiates a minimum hiring practice for a company, and the company extends that to even non union members, that is just tough cookies for the union. The company can do whatever they want. even offer non union members the same contract they offer union members. It makes it simpler for the company.

Comment

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...o-the-gop.html

Volokh, an avowed originalist and opponent of unions, explains that the government coerces Americans to fund speech they disagree with all the time. The government can spend tax dollars to promote messages that taxpayers loathe; it can require lawyers to pay state bar dues, then use the money to express ideas that certain lawyers dislike; it can collect a special assessment on teachers to advocate for policies that many teachers despise. Why can’t it also let unions collect fees from nonmembers to cover the cost of collective bargaining?
                      I'm no expert, but that reasoning seems compelling to me.
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

I'm no expert, but that reasoning seems compelling to me.
                        Then they need to wind those grievances through the court system. I don't believe any man should be forced to support speech that he does not agree with.

Comment

Then they need to wind those grievances through the court system. I don't believe any man should be forced to support speech that he does not agree with.
                          Agreed.
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

I hate public funding of candidates, why should my tax money go to people I don't agree with politically? What other practices are you speaking of?
                            Why were you a treasurer for your union? Apparently you didn't disagree with unions and membership dues when you benefitted from them.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Why were you a treasurer for your union? Apparently you didn't disagree with unions and membership dues when you benefitted from them.
                              Jim, it was my choice to be in a union, it was my choice to pay the dues.

Comment