Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Poppovich on Laura Ingraham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Poppovich on Laura Ingraham

Last week, FOX News talking head Laura Ingraham eviscerated basketball star LeBron James for speaking up on social issues, using the phrase "shut up and dribble". Rival coach Gregg Poppovich had a good response on behalf of James (who is a philanthropist and does extensive community work so one can hardly say he is "all talk"):

I don't pick and choose what LeBron should talk about any more than any talking head should try to pick and choose what he talks about," Popovich said. "To me, when I heard about that, it was like an unbelievable show of arrogance for a talking head to try to tell someone else if they can speak, what they can speak about, when and where to do it. It's just ludicrous.
    Well said. It's odd for somebody who gets paid to do nothing more than give political opinions to declare doing the same off limits to others.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

if you're not on the (very tiny) permissible mainstream right being actively censored is a way of life. It's not a matter of if, but when. So seeing the left cry so much just because Ingraham told LeBron to shut up, when they are responsible for actual constant and incessant censoring makes me roll my eyes into the back of my skull.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

It's rather inconsistent for someone to use 'He has the right of free speech' to argue that Laura herself doesn't have that right.

There is also the point that she's in some sense a professional in the area of commenting on politics, whereas LeBron is not. Pop is famous for being very dismissive of interview questions that he considers stereotyped or poorly thought out. Doesn't Laura have the right to be just as dismissive of amateurs commenting on her field of expertise?

Lastly - she's a woman. Where does Pop, as a privileged man, get off telling her she can't express her opinion?

I love Pop as a coach, but I think he lets his personal politics cloud his judgement sometimes.
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Well said. It's odd for somebody who gets paid to do nothing more than give political opinions to declare doing the same off limits to others.
        Is this what cynicism looks like?
        For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
          I love Pop as a coach, but I think he lets his personal politics cloud his judgement sometimes.
          Don't we all?

(and, by "we", I mean all you guys, of course)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think this comes back to ... Laura (I'm not a fan) is a talking head - that's what she does - we shouldn't be surprised when she does it.

On the other hand, when I go to a movie to watch an actor play a part, I expect him or her to do that - when I go to watch a baseball player or basketball player play ball, I expect him to do that.... I don't expect to get a lecture on politics from them.

Do they have that right? Sure, but I think the alienate (in this society) about half their fans when they do.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I think this comes back to ... Laura (I'm not a fan) is a talking head - that's what she does - we shouldn't be surprised when she does it.

On the other hand, when I go to a movie to watch an actor play a part, I expect him or her to do that - when I go to watch a baseball player or basketball player play ball, I expect him to do that.... I don't expect to get a lecture on politics from them.

Do they have that right? Sure, but I think the alienate (in this society) about half their fans when they do.
              yeah. they have the same right to their opinions as anyone else, but people get upset when they use their celebrity to push an agenda they don't agree with. It pisses them off.

Also you have some celebrities that EXPECT you to listen to their opinion as if it were fact and they were experts. People like Michael Moore who not only are not experts, but complete hypocrites.

They also hate celebrities that promise to "leave the country" if X is elected and then don't

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                yeah. they have the same right to their opinions as anyone else, but people get upset when they use their celebrity to push an agenda they don't agree with. It pisses them off.

Also you have some celebrities that EXPECT you to listen to their opinion as if it were fact and they were experts. People like Michael Moore who not only are not experts, but complete hypocrites.

They also hate celebrities that promise to "leave the country" if X is elected and then don't
                Some celebrities are actually pressured to make some sort of statement about this or that issue because they have a platform and people will hear what they said.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Was Ingraham necessarily saying that James shouldn't be allowed to exercise his right to free speech? Or was she slamming him for having such an inane point of view? Her remark could be taken as "Stick to what you're good at, and leave the political commentary to others."

Edit: Here's her complete statement in response to James calling Trump a racist and claiming that he "don't give a ____ about the people":

Must they run their mouths like that? Unfortunately, a lot of kids and some adults take these ignorant comments seriously. Look, there might be a cautionary lesson in LeBron for kids: This is what happens when you attempt to leave high school a year early to join the NBA. And it’s always unwise to seek political advice from someone who gets paid $100 million a year to bounce a ball. Oh, and LeBron and Kevin? You’re great players but no one voted for you. Millions elected Trump to be their coach. So keep the political commentary to yourself, or as someone once said, shut up and dribble.

So, yeah, pretty much what I said. Honestly, James deserved being roasted for his ignorance.
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-26-2018, 03:13 PM.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Some celebrities are actually pressured to make some sort of statement about this or that issue because they have a platform and people will hear what they said.
                    Like the dopey celebrities that 'testify' at congressional hearings, and the dummy politicians sit there in awe as the celebrities spew forth nonsense about subjects they know absolutely nothing about?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      if you're not on the (very tiny) permissible mainstream right being actively censored is a way of life. It's not a matter of if, but when. So seeing the left cry so much just because Ingraham told LeBron to shut up, when they are responsible for actual constant and incessant censoring makes me roll my eyes into the back of my skull.
                      Could you provide some evidence that it is not only happening often but is "a way of life"?
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Like the dopey celebrities that 'testify' at congressional hearings, and the dummy politicians sit there in awe as the celebrities spew forth nonsense about subjects they know absolutely nothing about?
                        But they were in a movie that was related to the topic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, in the liberal world, that makes them subject matter experts. I suppose Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton should be testifying on global warming in general, or tornadoes in particular.

Comment

You mean like Sylvester (Rambo) Stallone talking supporting getting rid of guns?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              Could you provide some evidence that it is not only happening often but is "a way of life"?
                              Why?
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment