Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announces her retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    My issue would be is idiotic things being said like, "You need to pass it to find out what is in it" sort of nonsense. What kind of insanity is that? I also have issues that a bill can get though congress without a single person, on the other side of the isle, approving of it. That isn't even getting into all the changes that have been made to it, by the Executive Branch (which is unconstitutional anyway). The whole deal reads almost like something from Mad Magazine, but sadly... it isn't...
    the reason you have to "pass the bill to find out what's in it" is because the law itself leaves its details to the executive branch to hammer out. It's a really fun line to repeat, I know, but it's the way Washington works.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      the reason you have to "pass the bill to find out what's in it" is because the law itself leaves its details to the executive branch to hammer out. It's a really fun line to repeat, I know, but it's the way Washington works.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
        Which is sort of like saying you first have to sign a contract for your car, before you'll know what the car payments are.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Which is sort of like saying you first have to sign a contract for your car, before you'll know what the car payments are.
          Exactly --- there is NO way to justify such a stupid statement. You're probably familiar with the expression "a pig in a poke" --- which is what we "bought".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by cow poke View Post
            "a cow in a poke"
            ftfy.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
              ftfy.
              Laughing... but I've never seen a poke quite that big!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Exactly --- there is NO way to justify such a stupid statement. You're probably familiar with the expression "a pig in a poke" --- which is what we "bought".
                Pretty much. It's like giving a blank check to a stranger on the street and hoping he only writes down the amount you owe him. Only the insane, stupid, or both would do such a thing.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Comment

Pretty much. It's like giving a blank check to a stranger on the street and hoping he only writes down the amount you owe him. Only the insane, stupid, or both would do such a thing.
                    Or those drunk with power.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Or those drunk with power.
                      Yeah, when it isn't your money you don't tend to act nearly as responsible with it.
                      Last edited by rogue06; 04-12-2014, 10:00 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment