Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announces her retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announces her retirement

Source: Health Secretary Resigns After Woes of HealthCare.gov

Kathleen Sebelius, the health and human services secretary, is resigning, ending a stormy five-year tenure marred by the disastrous rollout of President Obama’s signature legislative achievement, the Affordable Care Act.

Mr. Obama accepted Ms. Sebelius’s resignation this week, and on Friday morning he will nominate Sylvia Mathews Burwell, the director of the Office of Management and Budget, to replace her, officials said.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

To be fair she wasn't responsible for Obamacare -- the "credit" for that goes to Obama and Nancy "We Have to Pass the Bill So That You Can Find Out What Is In It" Pelosi.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

I've always wonder how anybody could seriously say, "You need to pass it, so you can find what is in it" without laughing and saying, "April fools!" in the very next sentence. I wonder if she would sign a contract for a new car, without reading the details of the contract.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

I've always wonder how anybody could seriously say, "You need to pass it, so you can find what is in it" without laughing and saying, "April fools!" in the very next sentence. I wonder if she would sign a contract for a new car, without reading the details of the contract.
      Or be told that you need to buy it before you can test drive it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I voted against her for governor in 2006.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think she was a bit of a scapegoat with no real power or control. I've read many reports (from both the left and the right) that said that Obamacare was being micromanaged from the White House.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I think she was a bit of a scapegoat with no real power or control. I've read many reports (from both the left and the right) that said that Obamacare was being micromanaged from the White House.
            I have little doubt that this was the case.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

When so many details of the law (e.g. HHS contraceptive mandate) were actually to be determined by the Executive Branch, there actually was no way to know. It's not that the bill itself was bad on that particular count, but that Congress has been passing the buck on making the actual laws.

First question on my mind is whether the next secretary will drop the contraceptive mandate.
              Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I have little doubt that this was the case.
                AMEN! where's that button again?
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Yes, until it was obvious that it was coming off the rails, then SHE was trotted out as the fall guy. (or girl) I do believe she got railroaded.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                    When so many details of the law (e.g. HHS contraceptive mandate) were actually to be determined by the Executive Branch, there actually was no way to know. It's not that the bill itself was bad on that particular count, but that Congress has been passing the buck on making the actual laws.
                    My issue would be is idiotic things being said like, "You need to pass it to find out what is in it" sort of nonsense. What kind of insanity is that? I also have issues that a bill can get though congress without a single person, on the other side of the isle, approving of it. That isn't even getting into all the changes that have been made to it, by the Executive Branch (which is unconstitutional anyway). The whole deal reads almost like something from Mad Magazine, but sadly... it isn't...

First question on my mind is whether the next secretary will drop the contraceptive mandate.
                    I doubt it.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

My issue would be is idiotic things being said like, "You need to pass it to find out what is in it" sort of nonsense. What kind of insanity is that? I also have issues that a bill can get though congress without a single person, on the other side of the isle, approving of it.
                      Isn't that the natural consequence of having a majority to push things through? Both parties have been very guilty of that over the years.

Comment

Isn't that the natural consequence of having a majority to push things through? Both parties have been very guilty of that over the years.
                        What other major legislation can you think of that ONLY ONE PARTY passed?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh yeah, both parties are guilty of it. That's kind of why I prefer the two houses and the president not to all be controlled by the same party.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            What other major legislation can you think of that ONLY ONE PARTY passed?
                            In recent years, I can't think of any. Even the dreaded 'Bush era tax cuts' or the invasion of Iraq had democrats supporting both bills.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

In recent years, I can't think of any. Even the dreaded 'Bush era tax cuts' or the invasion of Iraq had democrats supporting both bills.
                              Exactly -- Obamacare broke SO MANY conventions and violated so many principles of good government.

(Did I just use "good" and "government" in the same sentence? )

Comment