Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Contempt of Congress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contempt of Congress

Ok, so I'm pretty ignorant here and could use your help.

Congress has voted to hold Eric Holder, and now Lois Lerner, in contempt of Congress. My question is: what does this actually do? In the case of Holder, who I understand has been held in contempt for almost two years now (!), it doesn't seem to have actually done anything.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

After you get that answered, I'd like know what "Good luck with your asparagus" was a reference to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2spQWZK1gQ

The guy is pure criminal scum.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      After you get that answered, I'd like know what "Good luck with your asparagus" was a reference to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2spQWZK1gQ

The guy is pure criminal scum.
      I think I can answer this, actually.

Comment

It's all political theater. SHOULD something be done? WILL it? I seriously doubt it.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I guess I could expand my question, then: what is contempt of Congress supposed to entail? I mean, if the US Attorney General is corrupt*, does his position make him invincible? For all that's been accomplished** in opposition to him, you'd think that the AG can do whatever the heck he wants with no consequences at all.

*Eric Holder, corrupt? Nah.

**Namely, nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            I guess I could expand my question, then: what is contempt of Congress supposed to entail? I mean, if the US Attorney General is corrupt*, does his position make him invincible? For all that's been accomplished** in opposition to him, you'd think that the AG can do whatever the heck he wants with no consequences at all.

*Eric Holder, corrupt? Nah.

**Namely, nothing.
            As CP pointed out, it's theater to make it seem like we actually still have a system of law in this country. From what I understand, being held in contempt is only relevant if the House chooses to back it up with some sort of action. I think the problem is that everything is upside down and backwards in this country. There is no longer a Constitution that US government abides by. US officials (servants) can lie to congress under oath and get away with it. So in a system of abject lawlessness, there is no reason for Holder to fear being held in contempt of court because he knows the House will do nothing in the way of action against him.

Comment

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/contempt_of_Congress

The problem is that the DOJ handles enforcement - Holder isn't enforcing the charge on himself.

The fun begins when Obama leaves office - just how ticked are these guys?
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                As CP pointed out, it's theater to make it seem like we actually still have a system of law in this country. From what I understand, being held in contempt is only relevant if the House chooses to back it up with some sort of action. I think the problem is that everything is upside down and backwards in this country. There is no longer a Constitution that US government abides by. US officials (servants) can lie to congress under oath and get away with it. So in a system of abject lawlessness, there is no reason for Holder to fear being held in contempt of court because he knows the House will do nothing in the way of action against him.
                Yeah....

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/contempt_of_Congress

The problem is that the DOJ handles enforcement - Holder isn't enforcing the charge on himself.

The fun begins when Obama leaves office - just how ticked are these guys?
                  But why is the DOJ in charge of prosecuting itself? That seems obviously wrongheaded to me.

Comment

But why is the DOJ in charge of prosecuting itself? That seems obviously wrongheaded to me.
                    Take it up with the Constitution - enforcement is the Exec's job and the DOJ is the arm it uses for matters involving criminal justice.

Yeah, there probably should be another way to deal with this, shy of impeachment, I mean.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Though I'm ignorant about the specifics, I'm sure that Congress could supersede the authority of Holder if they had grounds to do so. I'm guessing but it seems pretty logical in a system of supposed laws. Otherwise, Holder could just become a dictator.

Comment

They could withhold funding.

this could get fun after the midterms...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I read the other day about how a number of members of Congress are apparently impeding the process for appointing federal judges, to the point where there is a backlog of cases years long. It's a mess.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

So basically what you're all telling me is that the checks and balances built into our system are dead and gone, and we're all screwed?

I can't say I'm surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              They could withhold funding.

this could get fun after the midterms...
                              I'm not sure I trust the Republicans to do anything anymore.

Comment