Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ukraine Revolution Round Two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ukraine Revolution Round Two?

Pro-Russian activists who seized the main administration building in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk
    have proclaimed the creation of a sovereign "people's republic" independent of Kiev rule.

Pro-Russian protests have been held in various parts of eastern Ukraine since Russia intervened in Crimea, and annexed it last month after the overthrow of Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich amid mass protests in the capital Kiev.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe...324155489.html

The irony is too much

May elections should be interesting, especially with Tymoshenko running.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      Don't worry, Jay Carney just warned Russia to stay out of it or Obama would get really, really mad! That should keep the Russian Bear at bay - NOT!!!!
      Last edited by seer; 04-09-2014, 07:16 AM.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I heard that Putin has a picture of Obama's face in his urinal.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Don't worry, Jay Carney just warned Russia to stay out of it or Obama would get really, really mad! That should keep the Russian Bear at bay - NOT!!!!
          Really mad? Does that mean that he'll stomp his foot or wag his finger?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Really mad? Does that mean that he'll stomp his foot or wag his finger?
            No. It means he'll end a sentence with the dramatic exclamation -- PERIOD!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              No. It means he'll end a sentence with the dramatic exclamation -- PERIOD!
              To be fair it isn't like we took any action after they invaded Czechoslovakia in the 1960s or Hungary in the 1950s

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                To be fair it isn't like we took any action after they invaded Czechoslovakia in the 1960s or Hungary in the 1950s
                Did we posture and threaten we would, after having had disastrous foreign policy failures like Syria and Libya? (Korea would have been in there somewhere)

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  May elections should be interesting, especially with Tymoshenko running.
                  A recent poll has the independent Poroshenko with an overwhelming lead, 3 times the support of Tymoshenko, in second place. Of course, things will likely change as the situation there is hardly stable.

Comment

Russian fighter jet provokes US warship in spite of US warning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQOrMOyRf0E

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...000-yards.html

I guess now all it takes is one mistake and it's on.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQOrMOyRf0E

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...000-yards.html

Yup! Like Hunt for Red October -- Admiral Josh Painter: "This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it."

Comment

Doubt it. Remember when North Korea sunk one of South Korea's ships?

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                          Doubt it. Remember when North Korea sunk one of South Korea's ships?
                          I don't know if the two scenarios are the same. I doubt it. It would depend on the objectives of the parties surrounding the event. There are obviously far more objectives for both Russia and the West in regards to Ukraine than the objectives (if there even were any objectives) between the Koreas at the time.

Comment

NATO mobilizes troops in the region...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/17/wo...aine.html?_r=0
                            Last edited by seanD; 04-17-2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I don't know if the two scenarios are the same. I doubt it. It would depend on the objectives of the parties surrounding the event. There are obviously far more objectives for both Russia and the West in regards to Ukraine than the objectives (if there even were any objectives) between the Koreas at the time.
                              The salient similarity that neither side is interested in actual war will probably result in caution before any direct action in reponse to any possible mistake. I don't intend to be dogmatic on this point though.

Comment