Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ukraine Revolution Round Two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    NATO mobilizes troops in the region...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/17/wo...aine.html?_r=0
    From the article:
    Mr. Rasmussen also renewed calls on Russia to stop destabilizing Ukraine, to pull back its troops from the Ukrainian border and to “make clear it doesn’t support the violent actions of well-armed militias of pro-Russian separatists.
    I don't recall anyone rebuking the US for "destabilizing" and supporting the opposition during the earlier revolution

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      I don't recall anyone rebuking the US for "destabilizing" and supporting the opposition during the earlier revolution
      The opposition wanted to remove existing Russian influence. Russia's been destabilizing the region from the start.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        The opposition wanted to remove existing Russian influence. Russia's been destabilizing the region from the start.
        I'll grant that but US also supported the destabilising of Yanukovych's government

Comment

I'll grant that but US also supported the destabilising of Yanukovych's government
          There's nothing wrong with destabilizing the government of a thief and traitor. Assuming he even won the elections fairly in the first place. He was already a confirmed voter fraudster.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with destabilizing the government of a thief and traitor.
            I'm not sure I agree. It isn't because I think that such a leader should remain as government, but I highly doubt interference by other governments are done with the most altruistic of motives.

Also, destabilising existing governments doesn't mean that things will go better after the existing establishment is thrown out. Arab "Spring", anyone?

Comment

There's nothing wrong with destabilizing the government of a thief and traitor. Assuming he even won the elections fairly in the first place. He was already a confirmed voter fraudster.
              There is when the key perpetrators behind the scene then try and argue that the destabilization is organic and that outside forces need to be deployed as a humanitarian enterprise to rescue the inside forces. Not to mention the circumstances that usually end up being worse and more dangerous in the aftermath.

Comment

In a glaring humiliation for the government, a military operation to confront pro-Russian militants in the east unraveled on Wednesday with the entire contingent of 21 armored vehicles that had separated into two columns surrendering or pulling back.
                One of the armored columns stopped when a crowd of people, many of whom were drinking or yelling taunts, gathered on the road before them. Later in the day its commander agreed to hand over the soldiers’ assault rifles to the very separatists they were sent to fight.

Another column from the same unit, the 25th Dnipropetrovsk paratrooper brigade, surrendered not only its weapons but also the tracked and armored vehicles it had arrived in, letting militants park them as trophies, under a Russian flag, in a central square.
                http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/18/wo...pgtype=article

It reads like something from the Onion.

Comment

Things are getting pretty hot in the country. I'm surprised it's not getting more attention here.

Comment

Things are getting pretty hot in the country. I'm surprised it's not getting more attention here.
                    Media buzz tends to die down after a while. I haven't been keeping up much myself, but apparently they can't handle the separatists, not least because the military general and admirals have extremely close ties with the Red Army.

Comment

I suspect MSM will start giving it more attention now that the Benghazi conspiracy has resurged in the House with more vigor.

Comment

I suspect MSM will start giving it more attention now that the Benghazi conspiracy has resurged in the House with more vigor.
                        You mean, now that they've just about run out of re-runs about MH370.

Comment

A recent poll has the independent Poroshenko with an overwhelming lead, 3 times the support of Tymoshenko, in second place. Of course, things will likely change as the situation there is hardly stable.
                          Update: Poroshenko has won, and things seem like they'll move to a full-blown civil war.

Comment

Update: Poroshenko has won, and things seem like they'll move to a full-blown civil war.
                            Putin had some "separatists" who got out of hand - he could not control them -- so he will allow the Ukrainians to deal with them. Then he'll play his hand.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment