Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Voting is Depressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Pretty much - but the map does change over time. Much of the red territory now was once solidly blue and vice versa.
    Virginia is an excellent example. Not that long ago it was solidly in the "red" category and over time has moved to be reliably "blue."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Voting is a duty, first and foremost.

All votes count - and it was never about winning by 'just one vote' - it's about people having a say in who represents them. The idea is for a bunch of people to say the same thing or you end up with no representation at all - and ten thousand candidates.
      Acknowledging that voting is meaningful on a macro level, I don't like the notion that voting is a duty or the idea of compulsory voting. Wide groups of ignorant people voting has at best a randomizing effect on the electorate. If people don't have the slightest clue what's going on, the only duty they have is to stay home.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Virginia is an excellent example. Not that long ago it was solidly in the "red" category and over time has moved to be reliably "blue."
        ...and before it was solidly "red" it was reliably "blue."
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Pretty much - but the map does change over time. Much of the red territory now was once solidly blue and vice versa.
          But IIRC that is not due entirely to do with changing voter views, and largely due to the two major US parties swapping their stances on several important issues such as social support and racial equality.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Voting largely achieves nothing other than merely deciding which group of wealthy politicians get to decide how to run our lives. Very rarely is anything of consequence ever achieved. For instance, despite most people in the UK voting to leave the European Union, the current government is dragging its heels and is seemingly delaying as much as possible. On the one hand, Theresa May has to pander to the Brexiteers in order to maintain political power (at least for the time being), but May, et al. are almost entirely Remainers. Another example would be the recent Catalanian vote on seceding from Spain. The Spanish government reacted to the vote by kicking out Catalan's president, and deploying riot police to stop people from voting.

I think the only thing of consequence resulting from any election or public vote would be Trump's ascendancy to the US presidency... although, despite not being a great result, is so far turning out to be better than the status quo... which says a lot about how awful American politicians are if someone like Trump can win. But hey, despite being a loudmouth and a braggart, with a penchant for ridiculous statements, he's done a better job s far than Obama, Bush, and Clinton.
            My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              But IIRC that is not due entirely to do with changing voter views, and largely due to the two major US parties swapping their stances on several important issues such as social support and racial equality.
              Um, what? 'Racial equality' did break the ice - but the CRA of '64 couldn't have passed if voters hadn't changed their views over time.
              *emphasis mine

Also, so I'm straight, was that supposed to be 'social support for racial equality' like I think?
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Acknowledging that voting is meaningful on a macro level, I don't like the notion that voting is a duty or the idea of compulsory voting. Wide groups of ignorant people voting has at best a randomizing effect on the electorate. If people don't have the slightest clue what's going on, the only duty they have is to stay home.
                Duty and compulsory are different things. The duty to vote carries with it the duty to be active and aware in the civic.

There are no 'knowledgeable' groups voting. With as many as six levels of government, that's never been the case. Ever. Not even when only land owners voted pre-Constitution.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with humans. Fortunately, it's worked better than anything else thus far.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze
                  For instance, despite most people in the UK voting to leave the European Union, the current government is dragging its heels and is seemingly delaying as much as possible. On the one hand, Theresa May has to pander to the Brexiteers in order to maintain political power (at least for the time being), but May, et al. are almost entirely Remainers.
                  Not really. Firstly, though technically a majority voted one way when asked a binary question on a deeply complex & interwoven subject in an advisory referendum. it was 52/48 - essentially split half way. The British were asked what they thought and we said 'don't know'. To simply say it was a majority implies that it was a significant one.

Also, the conservative party has put Brexiteers in major positions of Government, such as the Foreign secretary (who has not stopped embarrassing the UK further since he started), and more relevant - the Brexit Secretary is a Brexiteer. The lunatics are in charge of the asylum and the reason they can't get anywhere is because they can't agree what sort of Brexit they want, as all their promises of sunny uplands following the vote were essentially lies, and they cannot come up with an actual solution which won't cripple the country. They did not work out what they wanted to achieve in negotiations, despite wanting it for donkeys years. They started Article 50 despite still not knowing what they wanted, and now they're against the clock until time runs out & they crash out of the EU with no deal, which is what some of the more absurd lunatics such as Rees Mogg probably wanted from the beginning.

One of her cabinet ministers - a Brexiteer - has been forced to resign despite the PM May being so weak because she did a spot of freelancing as prime minister whilst on her hols. She has been replaced by one of the few non-useless backbenchers who is also a Brexiteer.
                  Last edited by EvoUK; 11-11-2017, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Um, what? 'Racial equality' did break the ice - but the CRA of '64 couldn't have passed if voters hadn't changed their views over time.
                    *emphasis mine

Also, so I'm straight, was that supposed to be 'social support for racial equality' like I think?
                    No, social support and racial equality - two separate issues. By 'social support' I mean the various social security measures such as unemployment monies, redundancy pay, child support etc.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      No, social support and racial equality - two separate issues. By 'social support' I mean the various social security measures such as unemployment monies, redundancy pay, child support etc.
                      Okay, thanks.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                        There’s an argument in the UK for proportional representation, which basically means that everyone’s vote matters, and what you’re left with is a coalition government.

This means that all parties retain seats in government proportionate to their votes in the election (an oversimplification but the point remains).

Currently, it’s first past the post. Which means that like a republican in a democrat state, my vote doesn’t matter, unless everyone changes their mind & votes with me.

In the UK, this could technically be inacted, however it’s unlikely given that the two main parties gain a lot from the current system.

I’m assuming it’s more complicated where you boys & girls are.
                        No, it's pretty much the same thing in the US. Even the presidential election gets hit with this thanks to the electoral college, making your vote effectively pointless in determining the winner of the election if you don't live in a swing state or one of the two states that chooses their electors proportionally (Maine and Nebraska).

Though in terms of results, at least in the UK you get some people outside of Labour and Conservative into the parliament and one party doesn't always have a majority. In the US, the Democrats or Republicans will always have a majority in congress, and Congress is entirely made up of Republicans, Democrats, and "Independents" who are a Republican or Democrat in all but name.

Comment