Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bergdahl: No Jail Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bergdahl: No Jail Time!

Doesn't get more unjust than this!

The Latest: Bergdahl gets no prison time for leaving post

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-be...133637560.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

They should have at least sent him to jail until the next Democrat president could pardon him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

They should revoke his citizenship and kick him out of the country.

At least they didn't give him $10 (CAN) Million and an apology like Canada did Khadr. Maybe that's next.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

At least they didn't give him $10 (CAN) Million and an apology like Canada did Khadr. Maybe that's next.
        Soldiers were hurt and wounded looking for this snake!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Soldiers were hurt and wounded looking for this snake!
          I don't like his chances on the outside of a prison cell.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

A dishonorable discharge is about as bad as revoking his citizenship:

Source: dishonorable discharge

A dishonorable discharge (DD), like a BCD, is a punitive discharge rather than an administrative discharge. It can only be handed down to an enlisted member by a general court-martial. Dishonorable discharges are handed down for what the military considers the most reprehensible conduct. This type of discharge may be rendered only by conviction at a general court-martial for serious offenses (e.g., desertion, sexual assault, murder, etc.) that call for dishonorable discharge as part of the sentence. With this characterization of service, all veterans' benefits are lost, regardless of any past honorable service. This type of discharge is universally regarded as shameful, and the social stigma attached to it makes it very difficult to obtain gainful post-service employment. Additionally, US federal law prohibits ownership of firearms by those who have been dishonorably discharged. In most cases, a person who receives a dishonorable discharge loses the right to vote and the right to receive governmental assistance of any kind. They cannot obtain a bank loan and they are unable to find work at the state or government level. Finding gainful civilian employment is also an arduous task for someone with a DD as most states now require employers to conduct background checks and the results of military records and discharges are often disclosed. Going to college is another pitfall because government loans and grants are unavailable for anyone with a DD. This is a permanent record that will follow the individual for the duration of their lives anywhere in the world. In some US states, the United Kingdom and other countries this may be for the duration of his/her sentence, elsewhere this may be permanent.

© Copyright Original Source

source

I agree, he should have served time at Leavenworth, but it's not like he's getting off scot-free.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              They should have at least sent him to jail until the next Democrat president could pardon him.
              Eh, a few more months, whats the point? Besides, he was prisoner of Taliban for five years, and recieved dishonorable discharge with no benefits. Thats more than enough, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Thats more than enough, I think.
                Did you serve in the military Jim?

Comment

Did you serve in the military Jim?
                  Nope, had no desire to kill Vietnamese and just got lucky with timing. Draft ended.

Comment

Nope, had no desire to kill Vietnamese and just got lucky with timing. Draft ended.
                    Then you don't understand how desertion undermines unit cohesion - and I did not enlist to "kill Vietnamese" but to serve my country.

Comment

Doesn't get more unjust than this!
                      Yeah, I still suspect a deal.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Eh, a few more months, whats the point? Besides, he was prisoner of Taliban for five years, and recieved dishonorable discharge with no benefits. Thats more than enough, I think.
                        Ah, the judgmental little "everybody has to go to jail" Jimmy weighs in with mercy for deserters! Anybody surprised?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

People died because of him, it's worth at least a little prison time.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Then you don't understand how desertion undermines unit cohesion -
                            I don't really know enough about his story to either defend him or support him, whether his intent was to desert or if he was just a goofball. I don't know, but I think it was the latter and for that I think his punishment was more than sufficient.

and I did not enlist to "kill Vietnamese" but to serve my country.
                            Thats cool, but I was of the opinion that the war on the part of the U.S. was wrong and I didn't want to be put in a position where I might have to kill people unjustly. I wouldn't have been a good soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Ah, the judgmental little "everybody has to go to jail" Jimmy weighs in with mercy for deserters! Anybody surprised?

Comment