Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump selling bibles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I'm not even sure what Christian nationalism means. I mean, I know what I think it means (basically, it's recognizing that the United States was founded on Christian principles), but it's not always clear what liberals like ox mean when they throw the phrase around, especially as a pejorative.

Here's what Britannica has to say about the subject:

Given the diversity of Christian beliefs worldwide, it comes as no surprise that there is no established set of beliefs among Christian nationalists as to the extent to which the state should support Christianity. The Christian nationalist vision varies not only by country—an American Christian nationalist, for example, will likely not desire a state church, whereas an English Christian nationalist might—but often by individual.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Christian-nationalism
    As far as I can tell, it means something like fundamentalist Trump-worshipers who will outlaw abortion, alcohol and homosexuality if allowed to come to power.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

That's just your paranoia talking. As far as I can see from the website, it has nothing at all to do with Christian nationalism, and I suspect if it wasn't for President Trump's endorsement, you wouldn't care one way or another about this publication.
      If it wasn't for Trump's endorsement, neither you nor I would know it even exists. Which is why they got his endorsement.

Nevertheless, it is a misguided, unholy attempt to tie the Gospel to a particular political system.

Whenever Christian faith has been tied to a particular worldly power, it has become corrupted, and often becomes entwined with and carries historical blame for whatever atrocities that political system engaged in.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

If it wasn't for Trump's endorsement, neither you nor I would know it even exists. Which is why they got his endorsement.

Nevertheless, it is a misguided, unholy attempt to tie the Gospel to a particular political system.

Whenever Christian faith has been tied to a particular worldly power, it has become corrupted, and often becomes entwined with and carries historical blame for whatever atrocities that political system engaged in.
        So you should be proud of the Democratic Party who seems to be doing everything they can to disassociate themselves from God, the Bible, any semblance of Christian principles - as they continue their headlong descent into Hell, bringing their followers with them.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think your paranoia is causing you to look at this backwards. I don't see it as an "attempt to tie the Gospel to a particular political system", but, rather, it is simply emphasizing the fact that the United States was founded on Christian principles. As John Adams famously said, "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I think your paranoia is causing you to look at this backwards. I don't see it as an "attempt to tie the Gospel to a particular political system", but, rather, it is simply emphasizing the fact that the United States was founded on Christian principles. As John Adams famously said, "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
            Well, that is indeed the rhetoric of Christian Nationalism in the US. But it leaves out that much of what drove the ideals that were codified in the founding documents of this country was also sourced in the enlightenment, and penned by people that were Deists, one of whom cut out of his Bible every word of Christ he didn't believe was authentic.

And my point is not based on paranoia. It is a reality every missionary to a land where fielty to the US is an obstical to sharing the Gospel. When you go as a missionary, you do not go as an emissary of any country, or any worldly political system or culture for that matter.You go as an ambassador of Christ, and you adapt to their world and their culture for the purpose of making known the Grace and Truth of Jesus Christ - and that alone.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Well, that is indeed the rhetoric of Christian Nationalism in the US. But it leaves out that much of what drove the ideals that were codified in the founding documents of this country was also sourced in the enlightenment, and penned by people that were Deists, one of whom cut out of his Bible every word of Christ he didn't believe was authentic.
              Point of fact: Jefferson did not participate in the drafting of the Constitution in that he was in France at the time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And my point is not based on paranoia. It is a reality every missionary to a land where fielty to the US is an obstical to sharing the Gospel. When you go as a missionary, you do not go as an emissary of any country, or any worldly political system or culture for that mmatter.You go as an ambassador of Christ, and you adapt to their world and their culture for the purpose of making known the Grace and Truth of Jesus Christ - and that alone.
                Again with the "Christian nationalism" conspiracy theories.

Get back to me when you are capable of discussing this topic rationally.

Comment

So, Bibles are being printed and sold, and regardless of the additional material inserted, still contain the Word of God and the path to Salvation, and we have people freaking out over it.

I have led many a Catholic to a relationship with Christ using their own Bibles, complete with the additional books we do not recognize.

Somebody might actually get saved and or put back on the right path through one of these Bibles --- the HORROR!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Point of fact: Jefferson did not participate in the drafting of the Constitution in that he was in France at the time.
                    Nor was Jefferson the sole author of the Declaration of Independence but was one of around half a dozen writers responsible for its composition.

Comment

It's funny how liberals are getting bent out of shape about this, as if they ever had any respect for God's Word.

What's being sold is a King James Bible with the words "God Bless America" printed on the cover, and includes the Declaration of Independence, US Constitution, and the Pledge of Allegiance.

Personally, I don't see the problem, or why liberals are raising a stink about it.
                      It comes down to "I HATE TRUMP, therefore I have to take a stand against BIBLES that are associated with him".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So you should be proud of the Democratic Party who seems to be doing everything they can to disassociate themselves from God, the Bible, any semblance of Christian principles - as they continue their headlong descent into Hell, bringing their followers with them.
                        What you are describing is just as easily the GOP, especially in their choice of presidential candidate, and their complete abandonment of the set of Christian principles that define character, mercy , and love.

In point of fact, it is that abandonment of true Christian faith by evangelicals for the sake of worldly power that has been the most difficult for me to parse.

What I have learned watching this happen in this country is that for many Christians, the teachings of Jesus on such difficult matters as personal character, truth, self sacrifice, love, grace and mercy are entirely optional. They go out the window any time they feel threatened or inconvenienced.

It has been quite disillusioing to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          So, Bibles are being printed and sold, and regardless of the additional material inserted, still contain the Word of God and the path to Salvation, and we have people freaking out over it.

I have led many a Catholic to a relationship with Christ using their own Bibles, complete with the additional books we do not recognize.

Somebody might actually get saved and or put back on the right path through one of these Bibles --- the HORROR!
                          Reminds me of what the late Jerry Falwell once said in response to those who object to the Ten Commandments appearing on the walls of courtrooms:

"What are you afraid will happen, that someone will read them, take them to heart, and become a better person?"

Comment

Again with the "Christian nationalism" conspiracy theories.

Get back to me when you are capable of discussing this topic rationally.
                            Again with the purposed distortion of my words. That this particular Bible appeals to those steeped in Christian Nationalism, and through his endorsement, fielty to Trump, is simple fact. There is no 'conspiracy' being mentioned or promoted by my words on that matter.

But you could care less about being truthful on that point - could you? Which goes to my point about how some of the most important teachings of Christ are now optional for many evangelicals

Comment

But you could care less about being truthful on that point - could you? Which goes to my point about how some of the most important teachings of Christ are now optional for many evangelicals
                              So "go and sin no more" is not part of "some of the most important teachings of Christ"?
                              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

...That this particular Bible appeals to those steeped in Christian Nationalism, and through his endorsement, fielty to Trump, is simple fact....
                                "And since I hate Trump with such a deep passion, this Bible should be BURNED and never be allowed to win somebody to Christ or put them back on the path to Him"

Jim - your hatred of Trump has caused you to take a stand against the Bible, for cryin' out loud.

Comment