Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bridge collapse in Baltimore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge collapse in Baltimore

Just been reported - a major bridge in Baltimore was hit by a container ship and collapsed completely, dropping vehicles and bridge maintenance crew into the river below.

BBC report here.
    Wikipedia update here.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Just been reported - a major bridge in Baltimore was hit by a container ship and collapsed completely, dropping vehicles and bridge maintenance crew into the river below.

BBC report here.
    Wikipedia update here.
    The footage of the bridge collapsing is horrendous. I think the last time I heard a reference to that bridge was in The Wire. Why it happened remains to be determined and luckily the incident was in the early hours of the morning when there was less traffic on the bridge.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I have an employee who lives 10 minutes away from the bridge and she said there were sirens blaring past her neighborhood all morning.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Well at least it happened very early in the morning (1AM) when traffic would have been at a minimum. Any idea how many vehicles were on the bridge? How many people were?

Comment

The first thing that came to mind as I was reading were stories that would pop up every once in a while about cargo ships being taking over remotely and steered off course for brief period of time. They never were high profile stories, and I'm having some trouble finding them now, but I have to wonder if there is any relation to this tragedy.

Here's an article posted in 2018:

Pen Test Partners (PTP), a penetration testing and security services firm, demonstrated a number of methods for hacking into the satcom systems of ships, which can allow bad actors access to shipboard systems and wreak potential havoc for the vessels and the shipping industry.

PTP researchers applied expertise in IoT, automotive and SCADA hardware security to a Cobham (Thrane & Thrane) Fleet One satellite terminal and demonstrated various methods of intrusion this week at Infosecurity Europe, as well as published their findings online.

“Ship security is in its infancy–most of these types of issues were fixed years ago in mainstream IT systems,” PTP consultant Ken Munro wrote in a blog post outlining its finding. “The advent of always-on satellite connections has exposed shipping to hacking attacks. Vessel owners and operators need to address these issues quickly, or more shipping security incidents will occur.”

[...]

Once on the ship network, researchers demonstrated two methods for sending a ship the wrong way–one by hacking its ECDIS, which are the electronic chart systems ships use to navigate, and the other by exploiting the serial networks on board that control the Operation Technology (OT).

Most modern vessels are in “track control” mode most of the time, where they follow the ECDIS course, Munro said. So if someone manages to hack the ECDIS, crashing the ship is not such a remote possibility, especially in foggy conditions, he said.

[...]

A poorly protected configuration interface on one system even allowed the team to “jump” the boat from one side of Dover Harbor to another by spoofing the position of the GPS receiver on the ship–basically telling the ECDIS that the GPS receiver is in a different position on the ship, Munro said.

In the other scenario, researchers showed just how easy it is to exploit a ship’s OT system, which is used to control much of the critical control infrastructure on board, including the steering gear, engines and ballast pumps.

https://securityledger.com/2018/06/c...y-experts-say/
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            The first thing that came to mind as I was reading were stories that would pop up every once in a while about cargo ships being taking over remotely and steered off course for brief period of time. They never were high profile stories, and I'm having some trouble finding them now, but I have to wonder if there is any relation to this tragedy.

Here's an article posted in 2018:

Pen Test Partners (PTP), a penetration testing and security services firm, demonstrated a number of methods for hacking into the satcom systems of ships, which can allow bad actors access to shipboard systems and wreak potential havoc for the vessels and the shipping industry.

PTP researchers applied expertise in IoT, automotive and SCADA hardware security to a Cobham (Thrane & Thrane) Fleet One satellite terminal and demonstrated various methods of intrusion this week at Infosecurity Europe, as well as published their findings online.

“Ship security is in its infancy–most of these types of issues were fixed years ago in mainstream IT systems,” PTP consultant Ken Munro wrote in a blog post outlining its finding. “The advent of always-on satellite connections has exposed shipping to hacking attacks. Vessel owners and operators need to address these issues quickly, or more shipping security incidents will occur.”

[...]

Once on the ship network, researchers demonstrated two methods for sending a ship the wrong way–one by hacking its ECDIS, which are the electronic chart systems ships use to navigate, and the other by exploiting the serial networks on board that control the Operation Technology (OT).

Most modern vessels are in “track control” mode most of the time, where they follow the ECDIS course, Munro said. So if someone manages to hack the ECDIS, crashing the ship is not such a remote possibility, especially in foggy conditions, he said.

[...]

A poorly protected configuration interface on one system even allowed the team to “jump” the boat from one side of Dover Harbor to another by spoofing the position of the GPS receiver on the ship–basically telling the ECDIS that the GPS receiver is in a different position on the ship, Munro said.

In the other scenario, researchers showed just how easy it is to exploit a ship’s OT system, which is used to control much of the critical control infrastructure on board, including the steering gear, engines and ballast pumps.

https://securityledger.com/2018/06/c...y-experts-say/
            Looks like just an accident to me. If it were intentional they would have targeted the bridge during a rush hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Looks like just an accident to me. If it were intentional they would have targeted the bridge during a rush hour.
              Perhaps, if they had the opportunity.

Comment

ing

According to CNN 15 minutes ago

• Rescue workers in Baltimore are searching for as many as seven people after a major bridge in the city's port was struck by a container ship early Tuesday, officials said. It is an "active search and rescue" situation, the city's fire chief said, and the number of missing people could change.
                • Two people have been saved from the water so far, Baltimore Fire Department Chief James Wallace said.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  ing
                  That will do a lot of good. Perhaps your deity should have prevented the incident in the first place. [sarcasm]
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                    That will do a lot of good. Perhaps your deity should have prevented the incident in the first place. [sarcasm]
                    Bless your heart.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Well at least it happened very early in the morning (1AM) when traffic would have been at a minimum. Any idea how many vehicles were on the bridge? How many people were?

I was up late last night and caught the breaking news including a link to a nearby livestream video. Rewinding and rewatching and rewinding and rewatching, it looked like a few vehicles crossed a couple minutes before the crash at 1:30 am eastern. I couldn't see any vehicles on any span that collapsed at impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

I was up late last night and caught the breaking news including a link to a nearby livestream video. Rewinding and rewatching and rewinding and rewatching, it looked like a few vehicles crossed a couple minutes before the crash at 1:30 am eastern. I couldn't see any vehicles on any span that collapsed at impact.

From what I've read, an unknown number of vehicles fell into the water, and at least a dozen people from a road crew working on the bridge at the time are missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

From what I've read, an unknown number of vehicles fell into the water, and at least a dozen people from a road crew working on the bridge at the time are missing.
                          Rogue06 has a CNN quote upthread that has a link updated less than 20 minutes ago.
                          The crew of a massive container ship that crashed into the Francis Scott Key bridge in Baltimore early Tuesday warned of power issues before the collision, which caused the bridge to collapse into the frigid Patapsco River, officials said.

At least six people believed to be part of a construction crew that was repairing potholes on the bridge remain unaccounted for, Maryland Transportation Secretary Paul J. Wiedefeld said at a news conference Tuesday.

Two people have been pulled from the Patapsco River, Baltimore City Fire Department Chief James Wallace said. One of them was not injured and the other was taken to a local trauma center in “very serious condition,” he said.

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said the warning from the ship’s crew likely saved lives.

“We’re thankful that between the mayday and the collapse, that we had officials who were able to begin to stop the flow of traffic so more cars were not on the bridge,” Moore said. He called those officials heroes.

Moore noted that the bridge was up to code at the time of the collapse. He said the collapse was a “shocking and heartbreaking” event for the people of Maryland who have used the bridge for 47 years.

Several vehicles are believed to have fallen into the water, including one as large as a tractor-trailer, Kevin Cartwright, director of communications of the Baltimore City Fire Department said early Tuesday.

“We have an unspeakable tragedy,” Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott told CNN.

No way to see the pothole crew from the livestream, and if anything as big as a semi dropped, it must have been from a span that wasn't insight of the feed.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Rogue06 has a CNN quote upthread that has a link updated less than 20 minutes ago.
                            The crew of a massive container ship that crashed into the Francis Scott Key bridge in Baltimore early Tuesday warned of power issues before the collision, which caused the bridge to collapse into the frigid Patapsco River, officials said.

At least six people believed to be part of a construction crew that was repairing potholes on the bridge remain unaccounted for, Maryland Transportation Secretary Paul J. Wiedefeld said at a news conference Tuesday.

Two people have been pulled from the Patapsco River, Baltimore City Fire Department Chief James Wallace said. One of them was not injured and the other was taken to a local trauma center in “very serious condition,” he said.

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said the warning from the ship’s crew likely saved lives.

“We’re thankful that between the mayday and the collapse, that we had officials who were able to begin to stop the flow of traffic so more cars were not on the bridge,” Moore said. He called those officials heroes.

Moore noted that the bridge was up to code at the time of the collapse. He said the collapse was a “shocking and heartbreaking” event for the people of Maryland who have used the bridge for 47 years.

Several vehicles are believed to have fallen into the water, including one as large as a tractor-trailer, Kevin Cartwright, director of communications of the Baltimore City Fire Department said early Tuesday.

“We have an unspeakable tragedy,” Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott told CNN.

No way to see the pothole crew from the livestream, and if anything as big as a semi dropped, it must have been from a span that wasn't insight of the feed.
                            It's a continuing story, so reports will no doubt be revised throughout the day.

Comment

These folks keep writing and talking about the inconvenience from losing 695, but from what i can see, the real impact is that the Port of Baltimore is inaccessible now.

Comment