Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jordan Peterson Not Sure if Hitler was Right Wing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jordan Peterson Not Sure if Hitler was Right Wing

    https://youtube.com/shorts/hmxR6tyBm...hbTrLF5RAhUcdk

    I’m thinking he was right wing:
    • “Gott mit uns”
    • Killed homosexuals
    • Admired Martin Luther
    • Burned books
    • Wore crisp clean clothes
    • Spent loads on defense

  • #2
    Originally posted by whag View Post
    https://youtube.com/shorts/hmxR6tyBm...hbTrLF5RAhUcdk

    I’m thinking he was right wing:
    • “Gott mit uns”
    • Killed homosexuals
    • Admired Martin Luther
    • Burned books
    • Wore crisp clean clothes
    • Spent loads on defense
    Didn't admire Luther. Despised Christianity but sought to coopt it.

    He was also a National Socialist.


    By the way, as the thread that H_A started a couple years back about book burnings (which did not go as she envisioned) revealed, the left has gotten into book burnings big time.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by whag View Post
      https://youtube.com/shorts/hmxR6tyBm...hbTrLF5RAhUcdk

      I’m thinking he was right wing:
      • “Gott mit uns”
      • Killed homosexuals
      • Admired Martin Luther
      • Burned books
      • Wore crisp clean clothes
      • Spent loads on defense
      Homosexuality as aberrant behavior was pretty common even in science. It's only recently in western culture it started to become an accepted fad. Burning books would be analogous to social media censorship and cancel culture today. As of today, both the democrats and republicans here in the states are lockstep with egregious defense spending, save a handful of conservatives.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Didn't admire Luther. Despised Christianity but sought to coopt it.

        He was also a National Socialist.


        By the way, as the thread that H_A started a couple years back about book burnings (which did not go as she envisioned) revealed, the left has gotten into book burnings big time.
        The vitriol in Luther’s OTJATL was an entrenched social sentiment in Germany. And how could it not be? Luther issued a clenched-teeth screed against the Jews for their rejection of Jesus. Hitler capitalized on that sentiment and believed the tropes Luther put forth.

        Co-opt doesn’t mean to oppose. It’s taking something that works and adapting it to your gig. It’s no great endorsement of the religious system to say its methodology to control people works really well.

        BTW, I’m not arguing Hitler was a Christian, only that he was right wing:

        By the late 1920s, however, with the German economy in free fall, Hitler had enlisted support from wealthy industrialists who sought to pursue avowedly anti-socialist policies. Otto Strasser soon recognized that the Nazis were neither a party of socialists nor a party of workers, and in 1930 he broke away to form the anti-capitalist Schwarze Front (Black Front). Gregor remained the head of the left wing of the Nazi Party, but the lot for the ideological soul of the party had been cast.

        Hitler allied himself with leaders of German conservative and nationalist movements, and in January 1933 German President Paul von Hindenburg appointed him chancellor. Hitler’s Third Reich had been born, and it was entirely fascist in character. Within two months Hitler achieved full dictatorial power through the Enabling Act. In April 1933 communists, socialists, democrats, and Jews were purged from the German civil service, and trade unions were outlawed the following month. That July Hitler banned all political parties other than his own, and prominent members of the German Communist Partyand the Social Democratic Party were arrested and imprisoned in concentration camps. Lest there be any remaining questions about the political character of the Nazi revolution, Hitler ordered the murder of Gregor Strasser, an act that was carried out on June 30, 1934, during the Night of the Long Knives. Any remaining traces of socialist thought in the Nazi Party had been extinguished.
        https://www.britannica.com/story/wer...zis-socialists


        And don’t be obtuse about the book burning thing. The Nazis weren’t burning the Bible and copies of On The Jews and Their Lies.




        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by seanD View Post

          Homosexuality as aberrant behavior was pretty common even in science. It's only recently in western culture it started to become an accepted fad. Burning books would be analogous to social media censorship and cancel culture today. As of today, both the democrats and republicans here in the states are lockstep with egregious defense spending, save a handful of conservatives.
          Color me surprised the dude who thinks he knows stuff about the Septuagint knows zilch about Greek culture and history.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by whag View Post

            Color me surprised the dude who thinks he knows stuff about the Septuagint knows zilch about Greek culture and history.


            You are a weird one.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by seanD View Post



              You are a weird one.
              I’m not the one who wrote this sentence: “It's only recently in western culture it started to become an accepted fad.”

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by whag View Post

                I’m not the one who wrote this sentence: “It's only recently in western culture it started to become an accepted fad.”
                I wasn't talking about crica 2,000 years BC, you dolt. I was talking about Hitler circa 1940s. The acceptance of homosexuality in the 20th century is a recent trend in western culture. Hilter's views were influenced by the scientific trends of the 19-20th century about homosexuality and inferior races. They were the same trends that environmentalism and overpopulation campaigns in the 60s stemmed from. Sound familiar? That wasn't rightwingism.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by whag View Post
                  https://youtube.com/shorts/hmxR6tyBm...hbTrLF5RAhUcdk

                  I’m thinking he was right wing:
                  • “Gott mit uns”
                  • Killed homosexuals
                  • Admired Martin Luther
                  • Burned books
                  • Wore crisp clean clothes
                  • Spent loads on defense
                  Goodness me. You have started a, potentially, very complex thread. I would suggest that you also have to consider the economic, social, and political situation in Germany from 1919.

                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

                  Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by whag View Post
                    The vitriol in Luther’s OTJATL was an entrenched social sentiment in Germany. And how could it not be? Luther issued a clenched-teeth screed against the Jews for their rejection of Jesus. Hitler capitalized on that sentiment and believed the tropes Luther put forth.
                    Apparently you are under the impression that everyone in Germany was Lutheran. What an odd view.

                    Originally posted by whag View Post
                    Co-opt doesn’t mean to oppose. It’s taking something that works and adapting it to your gig. It’s no great endorsement of the religious system to say its methodology to control people works really well.
                    So why did you skip the first part of that phrase

                    Despised Christianity but sought to coopt it.


                    Was that intentional?

                    Originally posted by whag View Post
                    BTW, I’m not arguing Hitler was a Christian, only that he was right wing:

                    By the late 1920s, however, with the German economy in free fall, Hitler had enlisted support from wealthy industrialists who sought to pursue avowedly anti-socialist policies. Otto Strasser soon recognized that the Nazis were neither a party of socialists nor a party of workers, and in 1930 he broke away to form the anti-capitalist Schwarze Front (Black Front). Gregor remained the head of the left wing of the Nazi Party, but the lot for the ideological soul of the party had been cast.

                    Hitler allied himself with leaders of German conservative and nationalist movements, and in January 1933 German President Paul von Hindenburg appointed him chancellor. Hitler’s Third Reich had been born, and it was entirely fascist in character. Within two months Hitler achieved full dictatorial power through the Enabling Act. In April 1933 communists, socialists, democrats, and Jews were purged from the German civil service, and trade unions were outlawed the following month. That July Hitler banned all political parties other than his own, and prominent members of the German Communist Partyand the Social Democratic Party were arrested and imprisoned in concentration camps. Lest there be any remaining questions about the political character of the Nazi revolution, Hitler ordered the murder of Gregor Strasser, an act that was carried out on June 30, 1934, during the Night of the Long Knives. Any remaining traces of socialist thought in the Nazi Party had been extinguished.
                    https://www.britannica.com/story/wer...zis-socialists
                    For some in Germany, and even in England, Hitler was viewed as a bulwark against the Bolsheviks -- even though he himself had Socialistic views and tendencies. But with the Socialism that was Fascism the industrialists were still allowed to keep their businesses and continue to rake in the money. They just didn't control the business any longer. The government did. Still, the fascists tended to limit any real competition so many of them didn't care all that much.

                    Originally posted by whag View Post
                    And don’t be obtuse about the book burning thing. The Nazis weren’t burning the Bible and copies of On The Jews and Their Lies.
                    The Nazis burned all sorts of books. Just like the left does today.

                    Perhaps you can explain how the left is really rightwing. Maybe even join in promoting the idea that Stalin was a right winger

                    I'm always still in trouble again

                    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by whag View Post

                      The vitriol in Luther’s OTJATL was an entrenched social sentiment in Germany. And how could it not be? Luther issued a clenched-teeth screed against the Jews for their rejection of Jesus. Hitler capitalized on that sentiment and believed the tropes Luther put forth.
                      It is much more complicated than that. And remember Hitler was Austrian. Austria in the late 19th century was a deeply conservative Catholic country and Hitler's mother, to whom he was devoted, was very pious.

                      Originally posted by whag View Post

                      By the late 1920s, however, with the German economy in free fall, Hitler had enlisted support from wealthy industrialists who sought to pursue avowedly anti-socialist policies. Otto Strasser soon recognized that the Nazis were neither a party of socialists nor a party of workers, and in 1930 he broke away to form the anti-capitalist Schwarze Front (Black Front). Gregor remained the head of the left wing of the Nazi Party, but the lot for the ideological soul of the party had been cast.

                      Hitler allied himself with leaders of German conservative and nationalist movements, and in January 1933 German President Paul von Hindenburg appointed him chancellor. Hitler’s Third Reich had been born, and it was entirely fascist in character. Within two months Hitler achieved full dictatorial power through the Enabling Act. In April 1933 communists, socialists, democrats, and Jews were purged from the German civil service, and trade unions were outlawed the following month. That July Hitler banned all political parties other than his own, and prominent members of the German Communist Partyand the Social Democratic Party were arrested and imprisoned in concentration camps. Lest there be any remaining questions about the political character of the Nazi revolution, Hitler ordered the murder of Gregor Strasser, an act that was carried out on June 30, 1934, during the Night of the Long Knives. Any remaining traces of socialist thought in the Nazi Party had been extinguished.
                      https://www.britannica.com/story/wer...zis-socialists
                      The above is a very over-simplified thumbnail account of a very complex topic.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

                      Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                        It is much more complicated than that. And remember Hitler was Austrian. Austria in the late 19th century was a deeply conservative Catholic country and Hitler's mother, to whom he was devoted, was very pious.



                        The above is a very over-simplified thumbnail account of a very complex topic.
                        No doubt, but I know I can’t post a chapter-length summary of the truth that Hitler was a right-wing figure.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by whag View Post

                          No doubt, but I know I can’t post a chapter-length summary of the truth that Hitler was a right-wing figure.
                          I would agree that Hitler was a fascist.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

                          Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by whag View Post
                            https://youtube.com/shorts/hmxR6tyBm...hbTrLF5RAhUcdk

                            I’m thinking he was right wing:
                            • “Gott mit uns”
                            • Killed homosexuals
                            • Admired Martin Luther
                            • Burned books
                            • Wore crisp clean clothes
                            • Spent loads on defense
                            So, being in dirty wrinkled clothes is left-wing?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

                              So, being in dirty wrinkled clothes is left-wing?


                              According to Sefton Delmer Hitler did wear cheap suits and cheap shoes in the early 1930s.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

                              Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by VonTastrophe, Today, 08:53 AM
                              0 responses
                              23 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post oxmixmudd  
                              Started by seer, Yesterday, 01:12 PM
                              28 responses
                              159 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post oxmixmudd  
                              Started by rogue06, 04-17-2024, 09:33 AM
                              65 responses
                              444 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Sparko
                              by Sparko
                               
                              Started by whag, 04-16-2024, 10:43 PM
                              66 responses
                              409 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post whag
                              by whag
                               
                              Started by rogue06, 04-16-2024, 09:38 AM
                              0 responses
                              27 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Working...
                              X