Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Proof of citizenship to vote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof of citizenship to vote?

What is wrong with this?

Federal judge rules on new Arizona voting laws requiring proof of citizenship

In 2022, then-Gov. Doug Ducey, a Republican, signed the measures into law, prompting criticism from voting activists

A federal judge is upholding new Arizona laws that would require registered voters to provide proof of U.S. citizenship in order for their votes to be counted.

Arizona legislators faced accusations of discrimination when they adopted the laws requiring counties to verify the status of registered voters but, in a ruling Thursday, U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton ruled that such requirements were not discriminatory.

Bolton said the state has an interest in preventing voter fraud and limiting voting to those individuals eligible to vote.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/federal-j...of-citizenship
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

C'monman! Old Joe has brought millions of "new voters" into the country to replace those that his party has been losing due to their failed policies. How dare they try to muck up the plan. True story.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      C'monman! Old Joe has brought millions of "new voters" into the country to replace those that his party has been losing due to their failed policies. How dare they try to muck up the plan. True story.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        What is wrong with this?

I think the problem is we don't yet have a system that enable any and all US citizens to have easy access to that proof. So it means certain poor or disadvantaged people's that are in fact citizens would be disenfranchised by such a requirement.

Personally, I think the US government should foot the cost of creating such a document for each citizen unable to afford creatingbit themselves, because it would be a good idea to filter out the potential for non citizens to vote

Most of us though have that proof already in the form of a driver's license or passport, best proof being the passport.

If the realD dl is not sufficient, then you'd need an official birth certificate, which some don't have, or a passport, which many don't have.
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-01-2024, 11:36 AM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Personally, I think the US government should foot the cost of creating such a document for each citizen unable to afford creating bit themselves, because it would be a good idea to filter out the potential for non citizens to vote
          A few years my son finally registered to vote, I went with him. He had to fill out a form which had the question - are you a citizen. You just check yes. I asked the woman if anyone ever checked if they were actual citizen or not, she said no. And what cost are you talking about? I got a copy of my BC at my city hall a while back - cost a few dollars.

Comment

Requiring proof of citizenship to vote is just common sense.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

A few years my son finally registered to vote, I went with him. He had to fill out a form which had the question - are you a citizen. You just check yes. I asked the woman if anyone ever checked if they were actual citizen or not, she said no. And what cost are you talking about? I got a copy of my BC at my city hall a while back - cost a few dollars.
              $4 to have a copy mailed out of state in 2015.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think the problem is we don't yet have a system that enable any and all US citizens to have easy access to that proof. So it means certain poor or disadvantaged people's that are in fact citizens would be disenfranchised by such a requirement.
                This is a specious argument at best, a racist one at worst. Proof of citizenship is trivial to acquire.

Comment

$4 to have a copy mailed out of state in 2015.
                  Wow, I bet even minorities could afford to do that!

Comment

Wow, I bet even minorities could afford to do that!
                    After all, poor kids are just as capable as white kids, according to our current White House occupant.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

After all, poor kids are just as capable as white kids, according to our current White House occupant.
                      Now, now - why bring that up! So hateful...

Comment

If the realD dl is not sufficient, then you'd need an official birth certificate, which some don't have, or a passport, which many don't have.
                        I am in rare agreement with you on this one.

I have applied for a ReaLID and it was something of a pain. They wanted two pieces of recent mail as proof of residence. I can understand that a permanent residence might be helpful to drive a vehicle in the state of Missouri, but not essential. And certainly not essential for a citizen (although necessary to vote in any specific precinct). My deceased stepson never lived at the same residence for more than a month or so in his last years, so he was unable to drive legally - despite passing both driving performance and written tests.

And even more problematic: My wife's birth certificate has her birth name, and she has that certificate. Then she was married to someone else for 10 years back in the 1980s and that last name shows up on several old documents. Then she and I married in the 90s, and we have that marriage license. For a ReaLID, she needs to provide her marriage license from her defunct marriage in the 1980s to validate the name she had at that time. That license is nowhere to be found, and she has been unable to satisfy the government for the ID.

I am currently waiting for my ReaLID license to arrive, which is up to 45 days.

Comment

If Arizona requires proof of citizenship then they need to provide an easy and cheap way to obtain that proof. Shouldn't be that hard. For most people the government could just look up their birth certificates online for verification and then issue some sort of Citizen ID card. It could be part of registering to vote. Free of charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            If Arizona requires proof of citizenship then they need to provide an easy and cheap way to obtain that proof. Shouldn't be that hard. For most people the government could just look up their birth certificates online for verification and then issue some sort of Citizen ID card. It could be part of registering to vote. Free of charge.
                            Yep, that's the solution I think. But they won't.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You mean the policy you actually agree with him on?

Biden Aides Fret That Support for Israel Will Hurt Re-Election Prospects

President is seeing routine pro-Palestinian protests at his campaign events

Comment