Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

George Galloway, new MP for Rochdale, England, calls out 'This is for Gaza!'

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • George Galloway, new MP for Rochdale, England, calls out 'This is for Gaza!'

    The MP for Rochdale recently lost his seat and membership of the Labour Party for criticizing the Israeli Leadership over Gaza war. I don't know what he actually said but to speak out against the Israel leadership can easily lead to accusation of Antisemitism here.

    Enter George Galloway to stand for election in Rochdale as the founder of an 'outside' party called 'The Workers Party of Great Britain'. Previous he was an extremely 'outside' and outspoken member of the Labour Party with an outside capacity for communicating fury-by-voice. He was ousted from the Labour Party for his views and was most recently the Respect Party MP for Bradford West, and left the Commons on 30 March 2015.

    Well, he's back and his presence in Parliament must show this country just how much sympathy and anger many of the British people have about what is happening to the Palestinian civilian people.

    The demonstrations here are huge.

    Maybe the Israeli leadership is leading its people in to more and more conflict, as well as causing a humanitarian catastrophe within its own country?

    He's more of an enemy to the Left-wing leader (Keir Starmer) than the right-wing Conservatives, but he'll have a go at anybody if he sees fit. Parliament on Monday morning is going to be a more exciting place that before.

    I don't follow Mr Galloway closely or at all, but that's British Democracy as it happens........... if you've got the voice and the guts you can get a seat here.


  • #2
    A few corrections:
    Originally posted by eider View Post
    The MP for Rochdale recently lost his seat and membership of the Labour Party for criticizing the Israeli Leadership over Gaza war.
    No. The MP for Rochdale died, triggering an election for a new MP, and the official Labour replacement candidate (Azhar Ali) who ought to have won easily was ejected by the party for making antisemitic remarks. Unfortunately for the Labour party, his ejection came too late for a replacement candidate to be nominated, so Ali remained on the ballot.
    I don't know what he actually said but to speak out against the Israel leadership can easily lead to accusation of Antisemitism here.
    He claimed that (i) The Israeli government had deliberately not stopped Hamas's October attack in order to have a pretext for an invasion of Gaza, and (ii) Jewish media people were responsible for the expulsion of a Labour MP. last year.

    Concerningly, it was the second comment that caused his expulsion, not the first.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

    MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

    seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

    Comment


    • #3
      Poor residents of Rochdale, they've been very badly served by all main parties for this by election.

      Tories are obviously crapping the bed nationally so they had little to no chance, the Greens removed the whip from their candidate and so too did Labour, allowing Galloway to come up through the middle. Would be interesting to see if he can repeat this in a general election with new candidates and a higher turnout - tbh I doubt it.

      He also has a poor track record of actually showing up in parliament and representing his constituents - I expect he'll make a firebrand speech or two and try to keep his face in the news.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Roy View Post
        A few corrections:

        No. The MP for Rochdale died, triggering an election for a new MP, and the official Labour replacement candidate (Azhar Ali) who ought to have won easily was ejected by the party for making antisemitic remarks. Unfortunately for the Labour party, his ejection came too late for a replacement candidate to be nominated, so Ali remained on the ballot.

        He claimed that (i) The Israeli government had deliberately not stopped Hamas's October attack in order to have a pretext for an invasion of Gaza, and (ii) Jewish media people were responsible for the expulsion of a Labour MP. last year.

        Concerningly, it was the second comment that caused his expulsion, not the first.
        What a mess. And yes, criticism of people who are Jewish being branded as Antisemitic is most strange but very common.
        Labour needs a good shake-up.
        So the MP for Rochdale lost his life and thus his seat. You put me right, there.

        Now, what do you think about about British Democracy which can field individual people up to Parliament without any support from a major party?
        And what do you think of the surges of support for Palestinians refugees?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
          Poor residents of Rochdale, they've been very badly served by all main parties for this by election.

          Tories are obviously crapping the bed nationally so they had little to no chance, the Greens removed the whip from their candidate and so too did Labour, allowing Galloway to come up through the middle. Would be interesting to see if he can repeat this in a general election with new candidates and a higher turnout - tbh I doubt it.

          He also has a poor track record of actually showing up in parliament and representing his constituents - I expect he'll make a firebrand speech or two and try to keep his face in the news.
          Yes, to all your points.

          But this is democracy and shows that anybody can stand for election as a constituency MP in the UK and become a member of our Parliament(s).
          Eccentricity such as this is part of the freedom which we value, and in this case is sending a positive message to the Labour Party to sort itself out quickly.
          You see? It works.

          Eleven people stood for election.........luv it!

          Azhar Ali – Labour
          Simon Danczuk – Reform UK
          Iain Donaldson – Liberal Democrats
          Paul Ellison – Conservative
          George Galloway – Workers party of Britain
          Guy Otten – Green party
          Michael Howarth - Independant
          William Howarth - Parents Against Grooming UK
          Rev Mark Coleman - climate campaigner
          Ravin Rodent Subortna - Monster Raving Loony party
          David Tully - independent,

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by eider View Post
            Now, what do you think about about British Democracy which can field individual people up to Parliament without any support from a major party?
            I think it's a good thing that the major parties don't duopolise the government. But I think it's unlikely that Galloway will keep his seta at the next general election, since (i) by-election results are usually non-representative, mainly because they don't affect on which party has the most seats, and (ii) he didn't last time.
            And what do you think of the surges of support for Palestinians refugees?
            I think the Palestinians are taking the fall-out from actions and over-reactions they had no control over.

            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

            MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

            seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Roy View Post
              A few corrections:

              No. The MP for Rochdale died, triggering an election for a new MP, and the official Labour replacement candidate (Azhar Ali) who ought to have won easily was ejected by the party for making antisemitic remarks. Unfortunately for the Labour party, his ejection came too late for a replacement candidate to be nominated, so Ali remained on the ballot.

              He claimed that (i) The Israeli government had deliberately not stopped Hamas's October attack in order to have a pretext for an invasion of Gaza, and (ii) Jewish media people were responsible for the expulsion of a Labour MP. last year.

              Concerningly, it was the second comment that caused his expulsion, not the first.
              Once again any criticism of the nation state of Israel is deemed "anti-Semitism". The remarks by Ali were not appropriate and the blaming of individuals within the media was foolish. As to the truth of his first remark that is something only the Israeli government and/or IDF can ascertain. From my reading of the events leading up to that atrocity it was more likely complacency and the under-estimation of the enemy. Two faults hardly unknown in history.

              However, Ali was evidently making an emotional appeal to the large Muslim community of that constituency. And as whag posted on another thread there are now credible allegations of Israeli troops engaging in the execution and sexual assault of Palestinians in Gaza.

              As for George Galloway, he has always struck me as a political opportunist and I doubt he will achieve a great deal in the next few months before the general election is called.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

              Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by eider View Post

                I don't follow Mr Galloway closely or at all, but that's British Democracy as it happens........... if you've got the voice and the guts you can get a seat here.
                Unless you happen to be praying silently in the wrong place. Then off to jail you go.

                I'm always still in trouble again

                "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Unless you happen to be praying silently in the wrong place. Then off to jail you go.
                  That's different. Eider doesn't agree with THAT message....so it can be attacked by state power.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Unless you happen to be praying silently in the wrong place. Then off to jail you go.
                    This is news to me! Has Ms Vaughan Spruce announced her decision to stand as a parliamentary candidate?
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

                    Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      But I think it's unlikely that Galloway will keep his seta at the next general election, since (i) by-election results are usually non-representative, mainly because they don't affect on which party has the most seats, and (ii) he didn't last time.
                      No matter, because politics is all about opinions today, and so many people in Rochdale feel so strongly about what is happening to Paestinian civilians on Gaza.
                      What is happening at election time in Gaza might be different, let's hope so.
                      I think the Palestinians are taking the fall-out from actions and over-reactions they had no control over.
                      In which case, if you lived in Rochdale you might have voted for Galloway.????


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                        This is news to me! Has Ms Vaughan Spruce announced her decision to stand as a parliamentary candidate?
                        Good answer to rogue, that!
                        And of course she can always stand for election, but probably doesn't want to lose her deposit because of so few votes. ,

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

                          That's different. Eider doesn't agree with THAT message....so it can be attacked by state power.
                          Don't lie, rogue.
                          I don't agree with people who deliberately breach and laws.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Unless you happen to be praying silently in the wrong place. Then off to jail you go.
                            Poor rogue.
                            Vaughan Spruce can stand for election about that very subject. Good luck to her.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                              Once again any criticism of the nation state of Israel is deemed anti-Semitism.
                              So might mine be.
                              But then, many Israelis are criticising the leadership of Israel. Are they also antisemitic, I wonder?

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by carpedm9587, Today, 01:47 PM
                              16 responses
                              59 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post One Bad Pig  
                              Started by Cow Poke, Yesterday, 06:19 PM
                              13 responses
                              78 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by carpedm9587, Yesterday, 02:28 PM
                              38 responses
                              211 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by whag, Yesterday, 12:58 PM
                              14 responses
                              80 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Cow Poke  
                              Started by seer, Yesterday, 10:47 AM
                              53 responses
                              280 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Cow Poke  
                              Working...
                              X